Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/24/2020 2:25:29 PM EDT
Since it seems to be a popular subject of discussion without much actual content out there, I'm going to be photographing a number of different near-infrared illuminators from downrange perspectives to attempt to compare them to each other and provide imagery that is similar to what one might experience in real life. The issue with just standing downrange and taking a photo back towards the IR source is that most digital sensors nowadays are more sensitive to higher wavelengths than the human eye, so NIR sources shine very brightly and with a purple hue. I've posted photos in the past comparing different devices, but they were only useful as that, comparisons between them, and not as a reference for how bright or dim they are to the unaided eye.

After obtaining an optical filter for the front of my DSLR lenses that cuts NIR energy at a similar place to the human eye (700-750nm and above has no transmission), I'm gathering devices to bring to a range or field soon and get on camera. Before diving in, I figured I'd put the call out in case anyone else has devices they'd like to see compared that I don't happen to have in my personal collection. Suggestions would be PERST lasers, Torch PROs, other high power .mil lasers, Streamlight spotlights, etc. Please feel free to reach out if you're interested in sending something over for the exercise - I'll probably get at it in the next few days if no one reaches out this weekend. While I've got everything there, I'll probably also update this video with some through-the-tube footage to compare actual NV performance.

Here's the devices I have on hand and am planning on using so far:
 Princeton Tec SWITCH MPLS - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 S&S Precision MANTA - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 CORE Survival HEL-STAR 640-09 - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 Amazon Special - 5000mW, 850nm
 Streamlight TLR-VIR II - 600mW, 850nm
 Surefire X300V - 120mW, 860nm
 Armasight MSI8000 - 1300mW, 850nm
 NiteCore CI7 - 7000mW, 940nm
 Surefire Incandescent with IR Filter - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 PEQ-2a - 50mW, 820nm
 DBAL-D2 - 600mW, 850nm
 MAWL-C1+ - 130mW, 860nm at mid-setting
{SENT IN BY OTHERS}
 ModLite IR-850 Head - 1100mW, 850nm
 Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm
 Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm w/ 950nm glass filter
 Sniper Hog Lights 38 LRX - 1350mW, 850nm
 SHL 38 LRX - 1350mW, 940nm
 Zenitco PERST-3 - 500mW, 850nm

An example of how they look with an unfiltered digital sensor (in broad daylight too):
(DBAL-D2, X300v, MAWL-C1+)

(Streamlight VIR II, Amazon Special, X300v)

Here's an example of other downrange testing I did last year before obtaining the IR-cut filter -

EDIT: evidently tables don't work very well here on this forum... switched to plain text for the list of devices and outputs.
EDIT2: added more units to the stable.
EDIT3: updated with downrange photos
EDIT4: added video footage through NVG
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the table of images we shot from downrange looking back into the emitters. Should be big enough to zoom in quite a ways and get a good look at each hotspot. Let me know what you think. I've got some thoughts but look forward to hearing what others have to say when seeing these. I'll follow up in another day or two probably with all the NVG footage of what each looks like shining out on the range and at my beautiful assistant. Special thanks to him for running all the lights and all the guys that sent in additional units to test.

The footage looking the other direction via night vision is now up. A full moon was rising to the left of the range, and had started to illuminate some of the treetops. Most of the range was in shadow though and quite dark. They were shot through an L3 unfilmed white phosphor NV device.

IR Illuminator Comparison 2020
IR Illuminator Comparison 2020

And a screengrab from the grid:
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
IN!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll burn you eyes out kid.

IN!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
SUBBED
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Disregard, I’m stupid and didn’t fully read the OP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I am really happy to see the amazon special on the list.

I think you should just for the comparison take a pic thru a night vision device as well say a range of 75 as a middle of the ground distance, not quite cqb but not long range. My reasoning is one may have a very low signature but do well at that range. Ideally a 50 yard shot plus a 150 yard shot but that is a lot more to do, so I figure 75 yards as a middle of the road.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am really happy to see the amazon special on the list.

I think you should just for the comparison take a pic thru a night vision device as well say a range of 75 as a middle of the ground distance, not quite cqb but not long range. My reasoning is one may have a very low signature but do well at that range. Ideally a 50 yard shot plus a 150 yard shot but that is a lot more to do, so I figure 75 yards as a middle of the road.
View Quote

From the weapon-side looking downrange, right? I'm planning to try and do that as well, as an update to my 2019 video. Seems like video does a little better job of conveying performance of these sorts of things when using NV tubes because the exposure bounces around a bunch with the tubes changing brightness to compensate for the scene.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From the weapon-side looking downrange, right?
View Quote

yes, I guess it is the one time an old tube with no autogating would be good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If you wait until the week after next and want some help, I have a staycation coming up with almost, nothing to do. PM me.

I also have an idea for doing some NIR testing with various camo patterns (or just an idea for another time) out in the open and hiding behind some brush. I have some old issued winter and summer m81, issued Camelback m81, issued dcu, civilian m81(disruptive products inc), issued ucp, crye multicam army cut uniforms, SKD multicam tropic, and some coyote brown gear (haley strategic and eagle industries). Jason has some atacs au and atacs le. We did some brief testing one night under both L3 gp and Photonis wp just to see what camo patterns look like.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
In!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
This is awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't wait to see this!

Your going to test multiple distances and at angles too right?  I feel that would help a lot!

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't wait to see this!

Your going to test multiple distances and at angles too right?  I feel that would help a lot!

Thanks
View Quote

Yeah planning on trying to see what I can pick up with video too, and balancing with just a little bit of ambient flashlight or lantern to add some clarity.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I loved your previous content and am looking forward to the results of this.

It would be fantastic if anyone could contribute some more models to this so we can get a more complete set of data (hoping for DBAL-I2 (9007) and DBAL-A3).

Thank you for your efforts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Was also hoping for a DBAL-i2 (9007).
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a handful that aren’t on your list that I’d like to see in the comparison. Ship them to ya?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Assuming the IR is class I and you are a safe distance away (just in case) you could remove the camera element if you could get 5 buddies to observe what their eyes perceive the down range signature as and give it a blind score.  It would take some coordination and someone at the other end to randomize what unit is being used and follow a repeatable series of movements.

Shouldn’t be too hard to fix up some kind of pic rail on a camera tripod and be able to test each one with identical/repeatable pan/tilt movements; up/down/left/right etc.

The best handheld I have is an armasight one, it was so good I sold my torch and kept the armasight. I can send it to you for test if you have an 18650 battery up there to put in it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]
In, also have some not on your list

Also modlite 850
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a handful that aren’t on your list that I’d like to see in the comparison. Ship them to ya?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
In, also have some not on your list

Also modlite 850

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool topic. Subbed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since it seems to be a popular subject of discussion without much actual content out there, I'm going to be photographing a number of different near-infrared illuminators from downrange perspectives to attempt to compare them to each other and provide imagery that is similar to what one might experience in real life. The issue with just standing downrange and taking a photo back towards the IR source is that most digital sensors nowadays are more sensitive to higher wavelengths than the human eye, so NIR sources shine very brightly and with a purple hue. I've posted photos in the past comparing different devices, but they were only useful as that, comparisons between them, and not as a reference for how bright or dim they are to the unaided eye.

After obtaining an optical filter for the front of my DSLR lenses that cuts NIR energy at a similar place to the human eye (700-750nm and above has no transmission), I'm gathering devices to bring to a range or field soon and get on camera. Before diving in, I figured I'd put the call out in case anyone else has devices they'd like to see compared that I don't happen to have in my personal collection. Suggestions would be PERST lasers, Torch PROs, other high power .mil lasers, Streamlight spotlights, etc. Please feel free to reach out if you're interested in sending something over for the exercise - I'll probably get at it in the next few days if no one reaches out this weekend. While I've got everything there, I'll probably also update this video with some through-the-tube footage to compare actual NV performance.

Here's the devices I have on hand and am planning on using so far:
 Princeton Tec SWITCH MPLS - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 S&S Precision MANTA - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 CORE Survival HEL-STAR 640-09 - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 Amazon Special - 5000mW, 850nm
 Streamlight TLR-VIR II - 600mW, 850nm
 Surefire X300V - 120mW, 860nm
 Armasight MSI8000 - 1300mW, 850nm
 NiteCore CI7 - 7000mW, 940nm
 Surefire Incandescent with IR Filter - UNKNOWN OUTPUT
 PEQ-2a - 50mW, 820nm
 DBAL-D2 - 600mW, 850nm
 MAWL-C1+ - 130mW, 860nm at mid-setting

https://i.imgur.com/fkTE1FAh.jpg

An example of how they look with an unfiltered digital sensor (in broad daylight too):
(DBAL-D2, X300v, MAWL-C1+)
https://i.imgur.com/zlZUQ0Hh.jpg

(Streamlight VIR II, Amazon Special, X300v)
https://i.imgur.com/0sPuXtOh.jpg

Here's an example of other downrange testing I did last year before obtaining the IR-cut filter -
https://i.imgur.com/jnJebZgh.jpg

EDIT: evidently tables don't work very well here on this forum... switched to plain text for the list of devices and outputs.
View Quote

lol red glow

gonna be a hard pass on any of those
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol red glow

gonna be a hard pass on any of those
View Quote

Thanks for stopping by?

@OP, have you given any thought to how you want to go about measuring brightness on the receiving end or are you going to just rely on a picture comparison? I love that you included some smaller things like the MPLS to act as a decent comparison for this. Perhaps a reasonable method for actually bringing a numerical metric into play could be something like measuring the pixels from the picture taken downrange.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for stopping by?

@OP, have you given any thought to how you want to go about measuring brightness on the receiving end or are you going to just rely on a picture comparison? I love that you included some smaller things like the MPLS to act as a decent comparison for this. Perhaps a reasonable method for actually bringing a numerical metric into play could be something like measuring the pixels from the picture taken downrange.
View Quote

Good idea on the counting pixels or maybe diameter of corona. I do have a lightmeter that measures in lux as well. Maybe I’ll try shining onto that at a set distance, but really haven’t done anything with it and IR before. Got it back when we were experimenting with the Dual Fuel lights when they dropped, and documenting the step down in output that their circuits do after just a short time, likely for heat protection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good idea on the counting pixels or maybe diameter of corona. I do have a lightmeter that measures in lux as well. Maybe I’ll try shining onto that at a set distance, but really haven’t done anything with it and IR before. Got it back when we were experimenting with the Dual Fuel lights when they dropped, and documenting the step down in output that their circuits do after just a short time, likely for heat protection.
View Quote

While being able to measure and provide numerical data is probably best, I think that if you are confident that your pictures accurately depict what you are physically seeing, it should suffice. Ultimately that's the end goal of the test right? Though, I wonder if your lux meter will accurately stick with what lux is meant for (what the human eye can see) and not grab from the spectrums that we cannot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to some friendly folks we're going to be adding five more units to the exercise. Should be arriving early next week then we'll hit the range.

Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm
 Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm w/ 950nm glass filter
 Sniper Hog Lights 38 LRX - 1350mW, 850nm
 SHL 38 LRX - 1350mW, 940nm
 Zenitco PERST-3 - 500mW, 850nm
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
Thanks to some friendly folks we're going to be adding five more units to the exercise. Should be arriving early next week then we'll hit the range.

Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm
  Fenix TK25 - 3000mW, 850nm w/ 950nm glass filter
  Sniper Hog Lights 38 LRX - 1350mW, 850nm
  SHL 38 LRX - 1350mW, 940nm
  Zenitco PERST-3 - 500mW, 850nm
View Quote

Thanks to those for adding to the pot!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I eagerly anticipate these results, as they will impact what I end up buying for my first personal laser/ilum setup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Awesome!
Something I have wanted to see for years. ??

Keep in mind the level of illumination of the IR light will be relative to the NV device used.
The tk25 on low with 950nm filter was only helpful on pitch black nights with my itt pinnacle Omni  vii unit for about 80yds, but with my filmless it’s good for 300 hundred yards.
Hogs have no clue, have dead hogs to prove it.??
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Just keeping this fresh. Just curious, are you going to wait for the new Moon for NV footage (full Moon/no Moon)?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By will-1:
Just keeping this fresh. Just curious, are you going to wait for the new Moon for NV footage (full Moon/no Moon)?
View Quote

Just waiting on a PERST to be delivered today, then likely running through things tomorrow night (full moon after 10pm).
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Just waiting on a PERST to be delivered today, then likely running through things tomorrow night (full moon after 10pm).
View Quote

Did you ever source a modlite?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:
Did you ever source a modlite?
View Quote

No, I've never felt the need to have one of their IR heads and nobody volunteered one for the testing.
Just found one locally that I should be able to grab in time.

Anybody got any issues with me using the high output 18650 that comes with the CD OWL (pink one)? Figured it'd give me the best chance of maximizing output on all those devices. Otherwise it'll just be new SF CR123s

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#36]

No, I've never felt the need to have one of their IR heads and nobody volunteered one for the testing.
Just found one locally that I should be able to grab in time. 

Anybody got any issues with me using the high output 18650 that comes with the CD OWL (pink one)? Figured it'd give me the best chance of maximizing output on all those devices. Otherwise it'll just be new SF CR123s

https://i.imgur.com/1kEFduth.jpg
View Quote

You should be using the 18650 with the Modlite
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#37]

No, I've never felt the need to have one of their IR heads and nobody volunteered one for the testing.

Anybody got any issues with me using the high output 18650 that comes with the CD OWL (pink one)? Figured it'd give me the best chance of maximizing output on all those devices. Otherwise it'll just be new SF CR123s

View Quote

Right on, i know a few of my friends run them and i have brought up the IR signature.  Looking forward to the results!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

My vote is any light that was designed to use the 18650 should be shown with it instead of 123's. Both would be nice but that'll be a PITA.

This is going to take some serious time & effort so this is phenomenal work on your end brother
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah I think I just didn't type that clearly. Planning to use that high output 18650 on everything that'll take it, then fresh CR123s for anything that just takes 123s. Hopefully all the big-bore ones will work with the unprotected cell. If not I'll have to switch to that green Panasonic or some of my Surefire ones.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
OST
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah I think I just didn't type that clearly. Planning to use that high output 18650 on everything that'll take it, then fresh CR123s for anything that just takes 123s. Hopefully all the big-bore ones will work with the unprotected cell. If not I'll have to switch to that green Panasonic or some of my Surefire ones.
View Quote

That's a tough one. It may be better to use whichever is commonly used with each light as someone would buy it/comes in the box. If possible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I am not familiar with the risks associated with using an unprotected battery in a light that might not have been designed for it. Would advise proceeding with caution though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I think I just didn't type that clearly. Planning to use that high output 18650 on everything that'll take it, then fresh CR123s for anything that just takes 123s. Hopefully all the big-bore ones will work with the unprotected cell. If not I'll have to switch to that green Panasonic or some of my Surefire ones.
View Quote

I figured you knew, and should have worded it that way. But in any case if it is something like a M600DF(for example) then yes use the more powerful batteries.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#44]
“I am not familiar with the risks associated with using an unprotected battery in a light that might not have been designed for it. Would advise proceeding with caution though.”

Unprotected cell in some devices will be drained very low and can damage the battery.  A protected cell has a small pcb that will cut off current flow below a preprogrammed voltage ie 2.8v. Some devices will automatically shutdown when battery voltages are low, so unprotected cells work fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Alrighty here's the lineup for this evening - speak now or forever hold your peace (until next time at least...). Will be getting the following shots from the target looking back at the emitters, then getting through-NVG views downrange with each for reference, probably with my lovely assistant standing downrange at some distance. Anything else I should keep in mind or try to squeeze in?

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Alrighty here's the lineup for this evening - speak now or forever hold your peace (until next time at least...). Will be getting the following shots from the target looking back at the emitters, then getting through-NVG views downrange with each for reference, probably with my lovely assistant standing downrange at some distance. Anything else I should keep in mind or try to squeeze in?

https://i.imgur.com/kQxt4hV.png
View Quote

I’m excited to see the results. Thanks for putting this together!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Cool project! Thanks for putting it together.  

Wish you had a Glow Daddy, aka Surefire AA Vampire Scout, to test.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Alrighty here's the lineup for this evening - speak now or forever hold your peace (until next time at least...). Will be getting the following shots from the target looking back at the emitters, then getting through-NVG views downrange with each for reference, probably with my lovely assistant standing downrange at some distance. Anything else I should keep in mind or try to squeeze in?

https://i.imgur.com/kQxt4hV.png
View Quote

Thanks for doing this!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Went great last night - lots of photos and video to go through. Confirmed some suspicions and established a few new things to try out. As I've said before, laser illuminators are definitely not invisible. The filter over the DSLR turned out to be a great representation of what things looked like in person.

Let's play guess the devices, with two of very similar output power (maybe that's too much of a hint) -

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Went great last night - lots of photos and video to go through. Confirmed some suspicions and established a few new things to try out. As I've said before, laser illuminators are definitely not invisible. The filter over the DSLR turned out to be a great representation of what things looked like in person.

Let's play guess the devices, with two of very similar output power (maybe that's too much of a hint) - 

https://i.imgur.com/jhUYhKy.jpg
View Quote

D2 and the mawl is my guess.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top