BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sprocket99:
How old? They tend to stiffen up over time, though I'd expect it'd still be better than hard plastic or metal.

@steviesterno16:
View Quote

@Sprocket99 I have no idea actually. Was off an old 870 I think and I found it in my parts bin. Still feels a little compressible but I’m thinking this is going to be a low round count, low powered load kind of gun
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
@Sprocket99 forgot to tell you, I stole that picture you posted and it is 100% my inspiration for my build
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
@Sprocket99 forgot to tell you, I stole that picture you posted and it is 100% my inspiration for my build
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Another update:

I'm figuring to feed this thing a reasonably steady diet of Aquila or other mini-shells (hater tots). This begs the question of what to do with the thousands of rounds of assorted 2.75" shells I have on hand. No, I'm not shipping them to you. Don't ask.

As I was saying previously, I wanted a thick, cushy recoil pad. I went with the Limbsaver small grind-to-fit pad, part #10541. Recoil pads seem to be in short supply / out of stock pretty much everywhere I checked. So I eventually sourced a couple from our gracious overlords at Brownell's. With my Arfcom discount, I only had to pay full price plus tax and shipping. Hell of a deal!

We got it mounted up (no pic) and it was pretty comical. Looked a lot like a mushroom at first, huge-looking pad on a little-bitty stock. We then dragged out my old 2x72 belt grinder and got started. Daughter did a lot of the rough work, and I did the rest. it'll still need more, but that's for another day. Great fun was had by all as we reduced the overage to rubber dust. The stuff gets pretty much everywhere.

Click To View Spoiler

We also did some preliminary shaping on the forearm, and filed the muzzles square. This is where we left off:

For giggles, I set the thing on the scale. 5.4 pounds, or 2.5 Kg if you prefer. Down from about 7.25 pounds originally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:27:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: schornstinefager] [#5]
Heres one i did a few years ago  with a holster rig

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sprocket99:
Another update:

I'm figuring to feed this thing a reasonably steady diet of Aquila or other mini-shells (hater tots). This begs the question of what to do with the thousands of rounds of assorted 2.75" shells I have on hand. No, I'm not shipping them to you. Don't ask.

As I was saying previously, I wanted a thick, cushy recoil pad. I went with the Limbsaver small grind-to-fit pad, part #10541. Recoil pads seem to be in short supply / out of stock pretty much everywhere I checked. So I eventually sourced a couple from our gracious overlords at Brownell's. With my Arfcom discount, I only had to pay full price plus tax and shipping. Hell of a deal!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472753/recoil_pad-1538751.jpg

We got it mounted up (no pic) and it was pretty comical. Looked a lot like a mushroom at first, huge-looking pad on a little-bitty stock. We then dragged out my old 2x72 belt grinder and got started. Daughter did a lot of the rough work, and I did the rest. it'll still need more, but that's for another day. Great fun was had by all as we reduced the overage to rubber dust. The stuff gets pretty much everywhere.

Click To View Spoiler
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472753/belt_grinder_mess-1538750.jpg

We also did some preliminary shaping on the forearm, and filed the muzzles square. This is where we left off:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/472753/full_L-1538749.jpg

For giggles, I set the thing on the scale. 5.4 pounds, or 2.5 Kg if you prefer. Down from about 7.25 pounds originally.
View Quote

Looking good! What did you use to fill the space in the barrels?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
@schornstinefager

Who made that beautiful rig?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By prebans:
@schornstinefager

Who made that beautiful rig?
View Quote

All my own work. After I made the 20 gauge re a ranger  I couldn’t find a holster rig so i made one
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By schornstinefager:

All my own work. After I made the 20 gauge re a ranger  I couldn’t find a holster rig so i made one
View Quote

Wanna make me one?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Wanna make me one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wanna make me one?

I could walk you thru it it wasn't too hard to pattern the leather then the local shoe shop could stich it for you but you need the gun to make the patterns
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I could walk you thru it it wasn't too hard to pattern the leather then the local shoe shop could stich it for you but you need the gun to make the patterns
View Quote

Ok deal. I even have a bunch of leather sitting around. As soon as the stamp is cleared I’ll reach out :-)
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Looking good! What did you use to fill the space in the barrels?
View Quote
Nothing as yet. I'll solder them or have someone else do it, depending on whether I still have a torch and stuff. I haven't dragged out the metalworking tools in a couple of decades. Gonna be a week or two on that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know if stoeger sells replacement 20ga stocks? I chopped mine and think i wanna go back to a stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
If they don't, you might be able to find one online. There are companies that make replacements.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Update:

We haven't had time to do any more work on this project, so it's still as shown in post above. But Daughter and I did get to take ol' Shorty out to the range. Much fun was had.

We were shooting for feelz, and to see if either of us could hit anything. Targets used were 6" rubber balls. Once we compensated for total lack of a sight and an 18" barrel-ectomy, we did pretty well. 90% or better at ~12-15 yards. About 50-60% or so at 25-27 yards.

Recoil with El-Cheap-O low-brass birdshot is stout, as expected. Fiocchi 2.75" 00 buck is unpleasantly stout. Things hotter than that, I don't want to know. Hater tots (below) are very pleasant to shoot.

That brings us back to doing some actual work on this beast. Maybe we'll get to it this week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for this thread!

I recently started grouse hunting, and after two days of humping through the woods with my 28" 3.5" chamber 12 gauge turkey gun I realized I was overdoing it. My wife's old coach gun has been gathering dust, so I figured I'd chop it following this thread's info.

Great tip on the minishells! I saw a bunch of the 7.5 shot at my local store, I will have to go get some.

I was originally going to only chop the barrel to 12" but since I am thinking about using minishells for this SBS grouse gun I think I will go to 10" also. The only question is the stock - I may chop the barrel first and hunt with it for a bit before deciding to shorten the length of pull. I know it looks more proportional with a shortened stock but I am 6'3" so I'm not sure I want to reduce it much further. I will be adding sling swivels to the foreend and stock though.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#17]
@BlackTuono

Originally Posted By BlackTuono:
I recently started grouse hunting, and after two days of humping through the woods with my 28" 3.5" chamber 12 gauge turkey gun I realized I was overdoing it. My wife's old coach gun has been gathering dust, so I figured I'd chop it following this thread's info.
View All Quotes
What's she gonna have to say about that?
I was originally going to only chop the barrel to 12" but since I am thinking about using minishells for this SBS grouse gun I think I will go to 10" also. The only question is the stock - I may chop the barrel first and hunt with it for a bit before deciding to shorten the length of pull. I know it looks more proportional with a shortened stock but I am 6'3" so I'm not sure I want to reduce it much further. I will be adding sling swivels to the foreend and stock though.
If you're not certain what you want for a finished project, I'd suggest chopping it in stages. Go 12" on the barrels, then shoot for feelz. Same with the stock. It's pretty simple to lop off another inch or two. Kinda tough to put that inch back on, though.

I strongly recommend a good recoil pad. You're going to be losing mass from the gun when you chop it. That's gonna make for a stouter recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Good idea on going in stages. I was going to cut it at home anyways.

I'm actually trying out the Aguila minishells in 7 1/2 shot since they seem to be a perfect close in grouse load, should help with the recoil too, but I'll want a good pad for buckshot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#19]
My stoeger is pretty fun.  Kind of rough though, lol.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Turningfast,

That looks like my stoeger. Tell me more about the strap on the front and pics of how it is attached. That's a great idea and I never thought of that. I have 8" barrels on a 20ga.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cajun22:
Turningfast,

That looks like my stoeger. Tell me more about the strap on the front and pics of how it is attached. That's a great idea and I never thought of that. I have 8" barrels on a 20ga.
View Quote

@Turningfast
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: schornstinefager] [#23]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

Is your name Alan badilion trahern?
View All Quotes

No who is he ?  Ah Mississippi yes I call this my Talladega Rig. My standard comment is I started shooting competition pistol my eyes got bad I went to a rifle to a scope to a shotgun to a machine gun to a grenade launcher and now I’m looking for a howitzer
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#24]

No who is he ?  Ah Mississippi yes I call this my Talladega Rig. My standard comment is I started shooting competition pistol my eyes got bad I went to a rifle to a scope to a shotgun to a machine gun to a grenade launcher and now I’m looking for a howitzer
View Quote

It’s an awesome little setup.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: schornstinefager] [#25]
Thank you sir it’s especially nice since it is a five dollar a aow . Heres a single shot. I have been working on the white area is where im drawing my engraving pattern. Im gonna carve the brass muzzele cap into a dragon and solder it once I’ve  cut and rethread the barrel and i decide on overall lengthon I got this from a police dept prop room destruction on the receiver and a different dept on the barrel puttering with it for about five years now.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, didn’t see this.  The strap basically anchors on the pieces that hold on the fore arm wood.  It only lasts for around 100 rounds, but makes it way easier to keep the barrel down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Can anyone recommend a Smith that can chop a CZ Coach gun like the photo below? I contacted one who isn’t taking any work. I want it done right with the wood shortened, stock pistol gripped, and recheckerd. I also want the space between the barrels filled. I would like it done like the below photo. Doesn’t look like the ones in the photo are doing any more.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#28]
How far forward does the forend latch extend on the CZ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Here is a photo. Prob not as far back as the stoeger, so the barrels may have to be a bit longer. I’d like maybe an inch and a half wood beyond the forearm and the barrels even with that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top