Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2021 5:13:32 PM EDT
Just saw this on my local news here in Jacksonville. He is f.... ed.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/pr/orange-park-man-charged-after-mailing-multiple-machinegun-conversion-devices
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw that a couple of days ago. I don’t know if he’s intelligent enough to realize how screwed he is..IF the article is true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.firstcoastnews.com/amp/article/news/crime/orange-park-man-had-over-a-thousand-devices-that-turn-ar-15s-into-machine-guns-feds-say/77-1d35a45f-3e88-409d-b275-3b83509ccf4e
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
An interesting point was raised in another thread on this subject.

If an object/device/accessory is required to "convert" and AR-15 to a machine gun, then by implication the AR-15 is NOT a machine gun.

Hard to refute, that one is.

".......... and was able to convert an AR-15 style firearm into a machinegun by cutting out the etching for an auto-sear using a commonly available tool and then inserting the auto-sear into the firearm.

Ergo, it was not a machine gun before the "conversion".
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The article is true. He is local and was a headline for the local news.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
OP’s article contained more information than the original story I saw. Unless I’m mistaken he was etching metal cards with the design of a lightening link and it was up to the the end user to fabricate it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
So an etched metal card is somehow a Lightning Link?
Sound like some agency is waaaaay overreaching.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, this is not the slam dunk they want you to think it is:

The agents paid for the metal cards etched with a design for an auto-sear using postal money orders, which Ervin then deposited into his account at a local credit union. An ATF expert analyzed one of the devices that had been purchased undercover and was able to convert an AR-15 style firearm into a machinegun by cutting out the etching for an auto-sear using a commonly available tool and then inserting the auto-sear into the firearm

So it was just a drawing until the undercover agent "cut the etching out". Sounds to me like the undercover agent made a machine gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The agents paid for the metal cards etched with a design for an auto-sear using postal money orders, which Ervin then deposited into his account at a local credit union. An ATF expert analyzed one of the devices that had been purchased undercover and was able to convert an AR-15 style firearm into a machinegun by cutting out the etching for an auto-sear using a commonly available tool and then inserting the auto-sear into the firearm

So they it was just a drawing until the undercover agent "cut the etching out". Sounds to me like the undercover agent made a machine gun.
View Quote

And you would be correct.

And by that logic, blueprints, drawings, etc... of machine guns or machine gun parts are by default.... machine guns. A good attorney is needed for him.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So it was just a drawing until the undercover agent "cut the etching out". Sounds to me like the undercover agent made a machine gun.
View Quote

I agree we you. I sent this to my neighbor who is a lawyer for his take on it. He said all a lawyer has to do is prove intent. You can hide behind it is only a metal etching for so long. It only matters what a jury thinks your customers intend to do with it once they get it. That makes you the big bad illegal full auto parts guy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If an object/device/accessory is required to "convert" and AR-15 to a machine gun, then by implication the AR-15 is NOT a machine gun.

".......... and was able to convert an AR-15 style firearm into a machinegun by cutting out the etching for an auto-sear using a commonly available tool and then inserting the auto-sear into the firearm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've seen a few people restating this in different topics related to the arrest...
What's the big deal?

There are AR-15 style firearms that are MGs, and AR-15 style firearms that aren't MGs, and it's been that way since the beginning.
Am I missing something significant here? If it's just the point that "journalists" often don't know what they're referring to, that's nothing new either. lol

The original AR-15 was a MG and it was designed/intended to be a weapon used in war, so I don't argue those points with people who want to ban them; I just tell them I disagree and they shouldn't be banned.

The 2A is about common people having military weapons, despite what some want to believe.

Quoted:

I agree.

"An ATF expert" (probably employed by FATD) made the MG. That's more significant because he's an expert at firearms modification.

Quoted:
And by that logic, blueprints, drawings, etc... of machine guns or machine gun parts are by default.... machine guns.
Nobody is saying that, so we shouldn't either.

Even ITAR doesn't apply to that info if it's in the public domain already.

A good attorney is needed for him.
Absolutely.
I hope he's got a great one.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If the guy was busted for etching designs on a metal card and they are charging him with making a “machine gun”. That’s a Grand Canyon stretch IMO. I assume they can also charge all the “solvent trap” dealers with a crime as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
My personal opinion is that the term "AR-15 Style" is total bullshit, and an AR-15 (as manufactured for the civilian market) is most emphatically not a machine gun.

AR-15 Style" is a term invented by legislators who wanted to pass restrictive legislation and so-called journalists who are either confused or wanted to confused the low-information public.

(just my opinion)

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:46:26 AM EDT
[#12]
FFS, what's next? Are we all going to have to get lobotomies because we've seen a bent up coat hangar?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFS, what's next? Are we all going to have to get lobotomies because we've seen a bent up coat hangar?
View Quote
Obviously "constructive intent".
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So an etched metal card is somehow a Lightning Link?
Sound like some agency is waaaaay overreaching.
View Quote
But they also have a prosecutor and an unlimited budget to go to court. Not to mention the prosecutor and the judge are paid by the same people. He is going to jail or be broke to prove himself right. Odds are he ends up a felon
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Obviously "constructive intent".
View Quote

Constructive intent is not as simple as most people say it is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Constructive intent is insanely complicated because it only exists on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#18]
He’s screwed... “Orange Park Man Bad”
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a business card that is also a Force Sensitive Resistor.  Should I be worried that the ATF is going to shoot my dog because I have an "explosive triggering device"?  

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't see how an etched metal card can be a machinegun, but a solvent trap kit that comes complete with threaded tubes, spacers and bore-less baffles isn't a silencer.

I'll bet it's easier to turn an 80% silencer kit... err... I mean solvent trap into a silencer than it is to make a lightning link from a plain metal plate with the design sketched onto it.  All you need is a drill bit and drill to manufacture a silencer from a solvent trap kit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m sure what the 2 main things that the BATFE wanted was to stop this guy from selling the cards and get all the info on his customers. God help those fools who actually bought one and cut the cards.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
God help those fools who actually bought one and cut the cards.
View Quote
They'll be fine unless ATF learns they did that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Being that this occurred in Florida, I’m certain the MSM will concoct a Trump connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top