Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2021 2:54:33 PM EDT
About a decade ago going through TBS I remember being taught non dominant eye for your PVS-14. That said, with the advent of passive aiming, as well as newer schools of thought, it feels like the default to “non dominant” eye seems not quite so clear. At the time we were issued ACOGs, so passive aiming wasn’t a thing.

I feel as though non dominant still holds some value if you are in a suburban area or transitioning from lighted to dark areas often, being that your unaided eye can still shoot via day optics. IR laser being utilized for all shooting with the aided eye.

But in purely dark areas I feel as though using your dominant eye has some advantages. First being that you can passively aim if necessary. Second being that your brain is more hard wired to use images from your dominant eye for monocular cues.

Open to thoughts on the subject, especially our TNVC folks who are involved with the latest and greatest training TTPs. What are the current viewpoints on this?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Non-dominant. Easier to use optic in conjunction with nods.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
We just did this thread a couple months ago and I believe it was overwhelmingly "dominant eye."

Dominant eye is what I've done with a monocular. I want the option of passive aiming and using my IR laser.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Dominant eye for me. If you have to shoot passive with the monocular over your non-dominant eye, it's a bad time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I also switched from my non-dominant eye over to my dominant eye. Some of my buddies are able to use Bindon aiming concept on their non-dominant eye to varying degrees of effectiveness but I found I was incurring too much parallax with that method so I switched over to dominant eye passive aiming. If you can't use the Bindon method, run it on your dominant eye to give you more flexibility and options (you can passively aim and use your laser with it vs just using your laser with your non-dominant eye).
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck all that noise.   New cool is thermal on non dominant and nvg in dominant.   Can't shoot your red dot pistol with white non dominant eye....
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Dominant usually.

Non-dominant when hunting with a thermal riflescope.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We just did this thread a couple months ago and I believe it was overwhelmingly "dominant eye."

Dominant eye is what I've done with a monocular. I want the option of passive aiming and using my IR laser.
View Quote

Quoted:
Dominant eye for me. If you have to shoot passive with the monocular over your non-dominant eye, it's a bad time.
View Quote

I didn't know that was an issue. I use the Non-dominant and IR aiming several times a week and have never had issues.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn't know that was an issue. I use the Non-dominant and IR aiming several times a week and have never had issues.
View Quote

IR and non-dom, sure. But if you want the option of passive aiming and IR dominant is the only reliable way.

I believe one of the TNVC guys did had a great post about the bindon method a few months ago and why it wasn't ideal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Over your dominant eye and slightly forward most find it easier to move/navigate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IR and non-dom, sure. But if you want the option of passive aiming and IR dominant is the only reliable way.

I believe one of the TNVC guys did had a great post about the bindon method a few months ago and why it wasn't ideal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been doing it Non-dominant so long I didn't know people honestly had issues with this. I have no poa/poi shift shooting via IR or through my m5. Ymmv I guess.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it depends on your setup. I'm pretty new to this but have worn my NV on my non dominate eye from the beginning with the thinking that my dominate eye will be my thermal eye whether its on my eye or rifle. My nox is finally on the way so I'll see how it works out soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It's 100% dependant on the situation you are going to be in.

Going dark and staying dark, dominant eye for passive.

Going dark and then going to white light upon shooting/entry, nondominant.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I find it easier to navigate and move over rough terrain with it over my non-dominant eye with the gain turned down and my dominant eye dark adapted (really helps crossing streams on slippery rocks). I do a lot more walking around under NVG than shooting at work (thankfully) and have the dual dovetail mount so it is easily switchable if need be for easier passive aiming but using the Bindon technique is also pretty viable with pistol & rifle (we’re not authorized to use lasers unless on the “Teams”).
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I use dominant for the sake of passive aiming.
Benelli M4 SBS and SYNC/Aimpoint using PVS14 Passive aiming
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve flip-flopped but ended up back at dominant.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think there’s a small issue of POI vs POA when doing that and it grows with distance. Or, maybe I’m confused.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think there’s a small issue of POI vs POA when doing that and it grows with distance. Or, maybe I’m confused.
View Quote

That's what I've seen, and the distance isn't that far - 15 to 20 yards and POI was off a full size silhouette. How bad it is, depends on your IPD - but you can test without shooting if you have a viz LAZER that's slaved to your optic aiming point. Do it when you still have enough illum to see the target, put your non-dom "merged" reticle center mass, then fire the viz LASER and look at where it is with your un-aided eye.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I did non-dominant for many years but switched to dominant around 2018.  I now greatly prefer dominant.  I also practice shooting looking under the NODs with white light.  Do it both ways and figure out what works best for you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Dominant for me, but a big part of why is the image disparity between my two eyes. I see a lot better out of my dominant eye in general and that translates quite a bit to NVG use and how effective it works for me.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck all that noise.   New cool is thermal on non dominant and nvg in dominant.   Can't shoot your red dot pistol with white non dominant eye....
View Quote

It's 2021.  I can't believe there are still poors out there without HMT.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#22]
This is where being cross eye dominant comes in handy. 14 over left eye, shoot right handed with red dot with right eye for passive. Everything is where it should be if you need white light in a hurry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top