Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2018 8:13:20 PM EDT
Does the SCAR 17 really kill optics?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The majority of ‘duty’ optics becoming of riding a 17 in the first place, should be fine. My TA-11 runs like a top.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
From what Ive been able to tell, all the reports of it killing optics are ones of the "budget" variety.  Strange thing is Ive seen people talk about it killing X optic and others saying that its never killed their same optic.

So... I dunno.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There are enough reports out there to make me think there is an issue, anecdotal or otherwise.

Both of those end user groups (LEO/Mil) don't use their own funds to buy/use most of their gear, so they frankly don't give a shit if something breaks they just bring it back to the armorer or supply shed and get a new one. The types of units that are issued the SCAR are also not the type to blab on the open internet about design flaws of issued weapons. Who does care about it are the armorers and logistics guys who are managing budgets. That a few electro-optical devices had to be "redesigned" to work properly with the 17 tells me there was/is an issue there that was costing someone, somewhere, enough money to make a redesign financially worthwhile.

Contrast that with civilian shooters who pay for the gun/optic, and ammo to shoot it. Those guns are under a much less severe duty cycle, and even then there are enough reports of optics failing or other strange happenings (mounts recoiling themselves loose) on any number of forums. M4C, LF, FNForum, Arf, etc.

The schools of thought are:

1. Cantilever mounts flexing during recoil

2. Forward "recoil" impulse of the massive 17 bolt/carrier which many optics aren't designed to withstand.

Personally I think the primary cause is #2, which may or may not be exacerbated by #1. Spring loaded air guns also have a significant forward recoil impulse which can damage optics. To mitigate this, scopes which are designed for severe or military service seem to be able to withstand it better than other types of optics though at what type of duty cycle I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]
TA31RMR, NF 2.5x10x24, NF NX8 and Aimpoint T1 were all good to go. The above as well, i utilized rings vs. QD's for both NF scopes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm one that can speak to several optic issues with my first 17S.

Kahles 1.5-6x42 Helia L.....shook interior loose and reticle turned. Fully covered under warranty.
Burris XTR Tactical.....elevation turret would literally turn itself as I was shooting taking it out of zero. Returned under warranty with no issue found.
Zeiss Z Point....actually shattered the front lense on two different ones. Zeiss covered them both fully.

On the real scopes I really believe a big part of my issue was using the Burris QD PEPR mount.

My particular lessons learned:

Quality mounts are a must. I like the Seekins rings myself.
Quality optics are a must although a lot of companies have made their more "tactical" lines a bit more robust due to the SCAR.  Nightforce NXS 2.5-10×32 and 42, Trijicon Accupower 1-8, Trijicon TriPower and Steiner M5Xi 3.5-15×50 are what have worked the best for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you know if the Elcan Specter is good to go?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine killed a Viper PST. My Razor 1-6 seems to be fine however.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know if the Elcan Specter is good to go?
View Quote
A very popular scope for the SCAR. Good to go from all my reading.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine killed a Viper PST. My Razor 1-6 seems to be fine however.
View Quote
Sold my Elcan 1.5-6x and bought a MILRAD 1-6x Razor for mine.

Spuhr Mount enroute.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Spuhr Mount enroute.
View Quote
Mine sits in a Geissele Vortex SOPMOD. Seems to be good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
They’re excellent. I have one on my URG-I.

I just wanted a mount that wouldn’t  interfere with the SCAR CH. No protruding bolt heads on the Spuhr.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I hear it but it's difficult to discern if its the scope's build/durability issue vs the recoil issue.
I've yet to see any controlled experimental evidence proving that it's worse than something like a FAL or G3.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Spuhr Mount enroute.
View Quote
Did you have a bad experience with the Elcan or did you just like the Razor better?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine hasn't killed an Aimpoint or 3.5x led acog yet
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Elcan, NF 2.5-10x24, aimpoints, MK6 all good to go
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you have a bad experience with the Elcan or did you just like the Razor better?
View Quote
I had RTZ issues with my Elcan ARMS mount. They are decent overall except the non adjustable ARMS mount doesn’t instill confidence. When you tighten the levers it doesn’t feel rock solid like other mounts. This wasn’t a sample size of one either. I originally had a 1-4x and upgraded to the 1.5-6x. They are also overpriced, like a lot of NSN goodies, for what they are.
I do like the Razor better even though it weighs a tad more.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Handl has done some testing: a slowmo vid of SCAR17, and theories of mitigating Harmonic vibrations in the system

quality optics and mounts are essential, IMHO
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Razor HD2 1-6 (the heavy one) seems to be holding up early in my Scar17’s life.

On ADM qd mount.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They're excellent. I have one on my URG-I.

https://i.imgur.com/TLxNxD5.jpg

I just wanted a mount that wouldn't  interfere with the SCAR CH. No protruding bolt heads on the Spuhr.
View Quote
@AKSU what barrel length and G rail is that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@AKSU what barrel length and G rail is that?
View Quote
Mid length DD 14.5” and Mk 16
It’s a stripped SOCOM URG-I upper that Geissele is selling.

@topgunpilot20
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been running a PA 5x ACSS Prism optic in a GDI R-com E-model mount for my 17s and run the 3x Prism in my 16s. Haven't had any issues at all. But those Prism optics are well made and can take a beating.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mid length DD 14.5" and Mk 16
It's a stripped SOCOM URG-I upper that Geissele is selling.

@topgunpilot20
View Quote
Thanks. Looks like a great setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top