Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
Will the UPS store receive shipments for a gun shop?  I know they wont ship guns.  

Im a home based dealer and my hours have changed at work.  Looking for a better alternative than driving to the hub every time I get something from a distributor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using a UPS Store to receive my shipments for almost eight years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, really appreciate your help!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using a UPS Store to receive my shipments for almost eight years.
View Quote
How did you set it up?  When I got my FFL I asked the local store if they would receive shipments...nope.  Granted I probably should not have told them it might be guns.  Been almost 2 years and I'm thinking about going back, as I have to drive 40 miles (round trip) to the UPS hub to get guns not delivered.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How did you set it up?  When I got my FFL I asked the local store if they would receive shipments...nope.  Granted I probably should not have told them it might be guns.  Been almost 2 years and I'm thinking about going back, as I have to drive 40 miles (round trip) to the UPS hub to get guns not delivered.  Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Walked in an filled out the box rental form.
Didn't tell them anything other than I was running a sporting goods business.

The surest way to get a negative response from sheep is to scare them. So don't scare them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
im in the same boat.   just found a retail space and have a full time job.   how are you guys picking up from the hub?  
i found a ups store about 15min away and will be asking about a mailbox.   do they usually have a policy of not accepting firearms?  
if so, what are my alternatives?  i work 2hrs away from my house and dont have direct access to my fedex or ups guy.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... how are you guys picking up from the hub?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
... how are you guys picking up from the hub?  
I don't.
That's what I rented a box at the UPS Store.

i found a ups store about 15min away and will be asking about a mailbox.   do they usually have a policy of not accepting firearms?  
Not typically, but UPS Stores are franchises so each one may have slightly different policies. Typically they don't give a rats ass what is inbound, but they are restricted by UPS corporate policy on packages they can accept for shipment out (no guns).

if so, what are my alternatives?
The UPS Store isn't the only company offering private mail boxes, they are just the largest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
You could try and find one of those privately owned mail box stores. They do still exist.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious about this myself but I don't understand how you can have the shipments sent to a UPS store box when to my understanding the items must be shipped to the address that's on the FFL, which is my home address. I even signed up for UPSmychoice thinking I could use the "hold for pickup" option or just have them held at the hub since I pass it on my way home from my primary job, but the option is never available on the shipments and after talking to UPS via chat they informed me that the senders of most such deliveries restrict this option, so how in the world are you guys pulling this off, because having to be home for shipments is a real pain in the a**
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm curious about this myself but I don't understand how you can have the shipments sent to a UPS store box when to my understanding the items must be shipped to the address that's on the FFL, which is my home address.
View Quote
There is no requirement to ship to address on License, but even if there were, that is easy to solve by making your mailing address the UPS store, and keeping your premises address your premises.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious about this myself but I don't understand how you can have the shipments sent to a UPS store box when to my understanding the items must be shipped to the address that's on the FFL, which is my home address. I even signed up for UPSmychoice thinking I could use the "hold for pickup" option or just have them held at the hub since I pass it on my way home from my primary job, but the option is never available on the shipments and after talking to UPS via chat they informed me that the senders of most such deliveries restrict this option, so how in the world are you guys pulling this off, because having to be home for shipments is a real pain in the a**
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ATF FFL Newsletter September 2013 Volume 2, page 6

FFLs May Ship Firearms to Locations Other than the Business Premises Address
ATF has received numerous inquiries asking if a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) may ship firearms to an address that is different from what is listed on the recipient’s Federal firearms license.

Neither the Gun Control Act (GCA) nor its implementing regulations contain specific provisions requiring that an FFL have firearms shipped to his/her licensed business premises when receiving firearms. Therefore, an FFL may lawfully receive firearms at his/her mailing address, storage location, or other address where the licensee intends to ensure safe and secure receipt of the firearms.

ATF Industry Circular 74-13 outlines “Guidelines for Verifying Identity and Licensed Status of Transferee.” It states, in part that “when the shipment is to be made to an address other than the transferee’s premises as listed on his or her license or on his or her certified list, it is suggested that the transferor verify the address as being that of the transferee.” ATF encourages FFLs to verify to the best of their ability that the shipping address is a valid location where the licensee is prepared to receive and subsequently possess the firearms. This may require that you contact the FFL listed on the license to verify that the address listed is accurate. In addition, if an FFL requires frequent delivery of firearms to an address other than his/her licensed business premises, ATF recommends that the shipping address be placed on file with the Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) as an additional mailing address. It should be noted that any FFL receiving firearms at locations other than his/her licensed premises must still maintain accurate records of acquisition and disposition of firearms.

Please be advised that there may be State laws that prohibit the receipt of firearms at a different address than what is listed on the license.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's interesting that this topic keeps popping up and getting re-hashed.  Take it from me, a very very very low volume home based dealer that this is the ONLY way to go if you have a day job.  True, some of the distributors don't want to deliver to addresses other than your premises, and some of our fellow dealers are too ignorant of the rules and regs to know that they can mail/ship to your UPS box, and some just "won't".  Tell all of those folks to pee up a rope and refuse to do business with them.

As far as picking up at the hub, sometimes shippers will instruct UPS to only deliver at the address.  Call the shipper and tell them to call UPS and change that restriction.  If they want their package to get delivered, they have to do it.  if they want the package refused and their customer to be pissed, that's not your fault.

Bottom line; make your business work like you want it to work.  If you have a customer that wants to keep buying from places that make it hard for your to receive their gun, get a different customer or direct them to purchase from a dealer/seller you know will work with you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a mail service (similar to the UPS Store model) to receive all of my packages.  I have been doing it this way for 5 years.  The only problem I have is with dumb ass shippers that don't follow instructions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top