Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2019 12:37:56 PM EDT
...as opposed to using a IR laser?

Been weighing my options.  For the price of one (cheap) IR laser I can equip 2 rifles with a Vortex that has IR modes.

Plus, it takes up less space and I can still use it during daylight.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty here do just that. It’s all up to how comfortable and easy it is for you to get your NOD-encrusted face behind the RDS. It will take some time to become proficient at it.

Some can have a PVS over their non-dominant eye and put their unaided eye behind the RDS and their lucky brains will “fuse” the two eye images, and see the red dot in their NV. Sadly, my brain isn’t that elastic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
ideally, you would have both options available to you.

It seems as though evidence suggests that it's easier to keep a red dot zeroed as compared to an aiming laser.

Having a 1.93" or taller mount definitely helps with getting yourself in the propr position to see the dot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep! A bit more reliable zero. Sucks in prone and unconventional positions though. Time and place for both
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep.

I've used lasers off an on through the years but I always tend to bring the gun up and get a sight picture anyway. I feel I'm more accurate with it than with a laser.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Love using lasers, but sometimes I cannot get into a position to use it as well as my red dot.

Love the KAC skyscraper mount for the T2.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience is very limited. But I did both during the Greenline Tactical Nightfighter class.

I think it's probably very well worth your time to learn how to do both. Just my non professional .02.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Can do both, much more prefer red dot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It's good to train doing both.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
as was mentioned. an extra tall riser helps a lot. You can find a decent balance between NV and non-NV use height.

it also helps if you have a well engrained proper shooting stance, bringing the rifle up to your face instead of your face down to the rifle. In daytime its not as big a deal cuz we can look through the top part of our eye socket, but if you try that with NV your tube will be pointed at the receiver instead of through the optic
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind light transmission through the red dot is a factor also. Yes you can see the dot on NV settings but the target itself can be hard to see through the red dot glass, depending on distance. Some red dots are worse than others and in my experience even the T1 is darker than the NODs by themselves
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
On a rifle an IR laser is faster and more efficient vs a RDS. On a pistol a RDS is
a little faster. If you're going to be shooting in extremely low light you're going to need an IR illuminator an trying to use it with a RDS will be cumbersome and not as efficient as an IR Laser/Illuminator that both come on with a single press of a button.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer to use the RDS so much I haven't invested in any more lasers.  That's $1300+ I can use towards other gear that I'll actually use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer to use the RDS so much I haven't invested in any more lasers.  That's $1300+ I can use towards other gear that I'll actually use.
View Quote
What are you using as a RDS and how is it setup?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ideally, you would have both options available to you.

It seems as though evidence suggests that it's easier to keep a red dot zeroed as compared to an aiming laser.

Having a 1.93" or taller mount definitely helps with getting yourself in the propr position to see the dot.
View Quote
This. Get both.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-14 over dominant eye, I have a couple guns with T1/larue tall mounts, a T1 on a KAC mount with tall spacer, EXPS 3-0 on a SCAR, and a holosun 510 with the spacer.  Anything that gives you a lower 1/3rd cowitness will work, be mindful of your BUIS, kac micro rears are fine but I have a tendency to bounce off of sights like the old ARMS flip up buis.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm actually leaning more this way myself. I've been using an Aimpoint & ELIR-3 (IR laser illum) on a slimmer gun. It's a lot lighter than my other gun with a D2 & SF Scout, which I've come to really appreciate, after hiking around with it and a pistol, thermal, helmet mounted bino, backpack w/ water, etc etc. If I want to shoot something further away, I can stick a -14 w/ magnifier behind the Aimpoint. The ELIR-3 will go further than I will ever need.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#18]
This is one time it’s nice being cross eye dominant.  14 over left eye red dot to right shooting right handed. No need for night vision modes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some can have a PVS over their non-dominant eye and put their unaided eye behind the RDS and their lucky brains will “fuse” the two eye images, and see the red dot in their NV. Sadly, my brain isn’t that elastic.
View Quote
Lucky brain here - it's pretty wild when you first do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both and trained with both.  I prefer the IR laser 10x more than the RDS.  It is much faster when you have the nods on your face and allows you to fire from any position - prone to standing, barricade, non traditional- which can be difficult to impossible with the RDS.  If you can afford nods, you can afford a decent laser.  Don’t go cheap on your aiming method.  Accuracy in the real world is everything.  If it’s all just going to sit in the safe, it doesn’t matter.  Good luck! ??
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I use both.  Eotech for longer more precise shots.  Laser up close.  Assuming I have the time I’ll use the eotech every time.  But sometimes when a hog jumps up you don’t have time
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Keep in mind light transmission through the red dot is a factor also. Yes you can see the dot on NV settings but the target itself can be hard to see through the red dot glass, depending on distance. Some red dots are worse than others and in my experience even the T1 is darker than the NODs by themselves
View Quote
I’ve never been a fan of Aimpoint for night time guns for this reason.  Eotech has much better light transmission and a much more forgiving sight window.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top