Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2021 11:47:34 AM EDT
I’d like to do a F1 titanium can.  Unfortunately, I do not have the room for a full size lathe.

Any thoughts on mini lathes?  Brands to recommend or avoid?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I started w/ an Atlas 618. That's a pretty small lathe. I was able to make many silencers w/ it, including an integral w/ a 17-3/8" threaded tube. So, it can be done on small machines.

There was an old thread on an import model that had a larger spindle bore. It wasn't perfect and needed to be taken apart and gone through, before use. However, those that gave it a try are very happy w/ it. I believe @Number40fan could tell you more.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an older Jet 9x20 lathe that I use. Will do everything I need to bore holes, do minor machine work, make spacers, etc. I inherited it but thay can be found used for under 1k.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the older Harbor Freight minis.  It is a rebranded Sieg.  Sieg is in China and makes a lot of the mini lathes that carry all kinds of brand names.  There are a lot of accessories and a lot of information available for them.   This website has a ton of stuff for them:

https://littlemachineshop.com/

Just keep in mind that you are basically buying it as a kit.  You can use it as is, but you will get much more enjoyment out of it if you disassemble it, clean it up, deburr everything, and adjust the gibs.  There is information on the website above showing you how to do all of that.    

You also have to understand that you don't have the rigidity you need to take heavy cuts, and you will be limited in swing and travel.  They are cheap lathes for a reason.

Having said all of that, I have finished out a couple of form 1 cans on mine, and find it useful for a whole lot of other things.  I made enough money to pay for it several times over making specialty Pinewood Derby wheels for a while.  I will have more space soon, and I might get a larger one, but I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of this one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe the Harbor Freight lathe is up to $779 now
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I traveled over to littlemachineshop.com and figured out for $4600 plus a bit I could get myself set up with both a mill and a lathe and delivered on a lift gate truck.  Actually less than I thought to be set up with both plus a decent start up set of tools and bits and such.  Makes me think to go measure my benches and see how badly my butt gets ripped come april....
the lathe is the smaller half $-wise.  
From hobbyists with experience, if I was to break the purchase into two pieces, which would you suggest first?   Lathe or mill?
I am a complete beginner with either, only having done welding, grinding and drill press work to make the stuff I have made, so there  will be self education required for both.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Taig mini lathe that I bought probably 10 years ago. It's worked well for center punching cones for the half dozen F1 cans I've built. I did buy the Harbor Freight mini mill so I could clip cones, both have been used exclusively for F1 work.

ETA: Punching through the end cap for a .300 can. Lots of lube and sharp bits makes decently easy work, even on titanium:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen some really nice work done on a mini lathe, As with most things it comes down to the operators ability.

Do you have any experience running a lathe, any machine tool experience, knowledge of proper speeds and feeds for different materials?

A basic understanding of how to measure accurately with a micrometer, dial indicator, dial test indicator. How to center work to run true.

It is a really fun hobby I enjoy alot.

Buy the biggest lathe you can afford like other have said, a 9x20 is a good size. Spend time with it. Watch as many videos as you can to understand how to operate it. You tube creator mrpete222 is an excellent teacher.

If you have a specific question im or email me and I will answer it to the best of my ability.  

That being said you will not save money by buying this over just buying a premade can on a form 4

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a harbor freight mini lathe for years

I also have a Bridgeport and access to a full machine shop (cad/cnc's and schooling/job titles to go with it)

the mini is great for little things in AL. I tried doing some carbon / and stainless Parts and kept popping fuzes.

But for centering hole and such it's great. It's great on aluminum small stuff too. Very limited on chuck size though too. If I can remember just over 1"?

I make sterling engines for fun with my dad when not fabricating form one's

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top