Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2022 5:42:05 PM EDT
I'm building a custom hunting rifle, and I'd like a flash hider in order to keep things away from the muzzle when it doesn't have a silencer mounted. Does anyone make a regular AR15 style flash hider, A1 or A2, that's blued rather than parkerized or some other protective coating?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but you could probably ask a manufacturer to sell you a raw one and have it blued if none are available.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not blued, but I've found that the finish on the Black River Tactical Covert Comp is a lot nicer looking than the finish on most A1/A2 flash hiders I've seen.  Whether you'll find anything that's close to matching off the shelf really depends on the finish on your rifle.  If it's a polished blue I doubt you're going to find anything close, but the BRT might match a more satin black look pretty well.  If you really want a good match to a polished blue, you're probably going to have to buy an unfinished brake and have it blued to match, refinish a flash hider, or have the gunsmith make something custom.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not blued, but I've found that the finish on the Black River Tactical Covert Comp is a lot nicer looking than the finish on most A1/A2 flash hiders I've seen.  Whether you'll find anything that's close to matching off the shelf really depends on the finish on your rifle.  If it's a polished blue I doubt you're going to find anything close, but the BRT might match a more satin black look pretty well.  If you really want a good match to a polished blue, you're probably going to have to buy an unfinished brake and have it blued to match, refinish a flash hider, or have the gunsmith make something custom.
View Quote

Is there an easy way to strip the finish off a typical 10 dollar parkerized flash hider? Finding someone to sell me a raw one seems like a pain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
A polished nitride finish on a flash hider might be a close match? I’ve seen a few like that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is there an easy way to strip the finish off a typical 10 dollar parkerized flash hider? Finding someone to sell me a raw one seems like a pain.
View Quote

You could bead blast it, but if you're going for a polished blue finish, the polishing portion of the show is going to be a PITA.  There may be a chemical process you could use to strip the finish, but I'm not sure.  Even if that's possible, the resulting surface finish is going to be fairly rough.

What sort of blued finish are you trying to match?
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You could bead blast it, but if you're going for a polished blue finish, the polishing portion of the show is going to be a PITA.  There may be a chemical process you could use to strip the finish, but I'm not sure.  Even if that's possible, the resulting surface finish is going to be fairly rough.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I just ordered the custom barrel two nights ago, and it's a 10-12 week lead time. Hopefully it's a nice shiny smooth finish.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well I just ordered the custom barrel two nights ago, and it's a 10-12 week lead time. Hopefully it's a nice shiny smooth finish.
View Quote

why cant your custom barrel maker also make a thread protector for you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are making a matching thread protector. I like having a flash hider on my guns to keep things away from the crown and rifling itself, not just the threads.

For example, another mauser I built as a truck gun often rides with me, muzzle down in the passenger seat. It has a flash hider in order to keep the muzzle away from the often wet and dirty floorboards. Now I won't be abusing this rifle in that manner, but I still like it for peace of mind. It's a 500 dollar barrel, and I'd hate to ruin the crown for something preventable by a cheap stand off muzzle device.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are making a matching thread protector. I like having a flash hider on my guns to keep things away from the crown and rifling itself, not just the threads.

For example, another mauser I built as a truck gun often rides with me, muzzle down in the passenger seat. It has a flash hider in order to keep the muzzle away from the often wet and dirty floorboards. Now I won't be abusing this rifle in that manner, but I still like it for peace of mind. It's a 500 dollar barrel, and I'd hate to ruin the crown for something preventable by a cheap stand off muzzle device.
View Quote

Again, why can't they make you what you need?   That way it will be all matchy match.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Again, why can't they make you what you need?   That way it will be all matchy match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe they make AR style flash hiders.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#11]
What about cerakote, nitride or stainless for the FH?

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure what the finish on this is, but I got an a1 FH from fulton armory a few years ago and it is noticeably shiny. i'd give them an email and see what they say.
from left to right: BRT comp (mentioned in the post above), regular a2, fulton armory a1, and a blued beretta slide.
top pic is with extra lamp light, bottom pic is just room lights

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RUGER
View Quote

Perfect, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If the Ruger isn't quite what you want, you could use a buffing wheel to remove the parkerizing and polish a standard flash hider.  Your gunsmith could then blue it with the rest of the gun pieces.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If the Ruger isn't quite what you want, you could use a buffing wheel to remove the parkerizing and polish a standard flash hider.  Your gunsmith could then blue it with the rest of the gun pieces.
View Quote

Thanks, but the Ruger is exactly what I want. Even looks a little better than a normal A1 or A2 shape.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Innovative Industries finishes most of their flash suppressors in black oxide instead of phosphate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks, but the Ruger is exactly what I want. Even looks a little better than a normal A1 or A2 shape.
View Quote

The blued Ruger looks perfect for you.  Is your barrel bore .223?  (Actually .224").  Will muzzle threads be standard for that FH?

Should the Ruger FH not meet expectations, the YHM Phantom 5C1 also a dark nitride finish.  Its inexpensive as far as they go, so it would not be much of a loss, if its not quite right.

They also have a new "low profile" model.  Its designed to allow a low profile AR gas block to slip over it.  But its smooth sides might make it ideal for use on a more conventional but upscale hunting rifle/barrel.  It is QPQ nitride.  Certainly would protect the muzzle.  Not "military" looking at all.

https://yhm.net/accessories/muzzle-accessories/low-profile-flash-hider/

I don't know the bore of your barrel.  These are for .223/5.56, but the Phantom models are also available in .308 bore.  Not sure about the Low-Pro version.  If your bore is larger than.308, or the thread pattern differs, I'm lost.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Nitride with crush washer should look shinier than Parkerized.

https://faxonfirearms.com/5-56-a2-flash-hider-1-2-28-threaded/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top