Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2022 8:34:18 AM EDT
I'm contemplating using a Plan A suppressor mount for SMG use, but they only offer a flash hider and a muzzle brake in .45-caliber. Would a muzzle brake on an ~8" .45 (or 9mm for that matter) actually do anything? Seems like with the tiny powder charge and relatively low muzzle pressure on a longer barrel, there wouldn't be much gas to do any real work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The Cutts Compensator on the Thompson certainly seems to help
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The available Griffin EZ Brake appears to redirect gas 360-degrees radially outwards from the muzzle, so I don't think it would provide any compensating effect against muzzle rise, just general recoil reduction. I guess the Cutts does demonstrate there is enough pressure/gas to have some effect though, whether that be general recoil reduction or directional compensation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Beretta 38A 9mm SMG has a four-slot compensator, that thing barely moves when fired.

Italy's Sleeper Submachine Gun: The Beretta 38A
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The easiest compensator for my m11 was using a suppressor.

That helped immensely.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5bE-9-FWFxI
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is contrary to my personal observations.  I used to have a WWII era Model 1928 Thompson SMG - Cutts comp and heavy bolt for low rate of fire.  Many an experienced shooter embarrassed themselves turning that SMG into an anti-aircraft gun.  One guy in particular; who was an owner of a SWD M11/9 and very experienced SMG shooter, though never had shot a Thompson, put the last half of a 50 round drum into the ceiling of the indoor range we were at.

ETA: It is my possibly mistaken understanding that the U.S. military deleted the Cutts from the Thompson when the M1 was introduced to reduce overall length, reduce weight, reduce cost; and the Cutts did not aid accuracy, in fact, the gas plume from the Cutts vents obscured the front sight and reduced accuracy.

MHO, YMMV. etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Had an M-11 with all the Lage goodies and have a FA CMMG RDB 9mm currently…

I would usually shoot the Max-11/9 suppressed and the Max-31 with compensators only.  Never felt a difference. Especially compared to the cycling weight.  

THE most important thing is balancing the ROF to the weight of the gun for a blow back SMG by tuning the spring and bolt weight to work together.  When you get it just right the gun runs like a sewing machine; the forward lurch cancels the recoil and the sights settle right back down to POA every shot keeping all the rounds in a tiny group.  

IMO, subguns are too heavy and there’s too little gas to make a meaningful impact.  You should focus on flash, cool looks, and reduced concussion (or suppressor mount design).
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The rumor I heard is it makes a noticeable difference with destroyed fins on a Reising vs an intact one.

At face value that seems reasonable as the Reising is nearly half the weight of a Thompson but still with a high rate of fire.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
My mini UZI has a barell with the cutts that seems to help keep muzzle rise down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I put an aggressive brake on a 7.62x25 m16 upper.  I had to take it off because it would push the barrel down hard.  It was weird having to pull up on the barrel
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My mini UZI has a barell with the cutts that seems to help keep muzzle rise down.
View Quote
I too have a full auto Mini Uzi.  In open and closed bolt.  Closed bolt is faster at 1700 RPM and even with the factory compensated barrel compared to non-compensated I cannot tell a difference.

I tried other full auto 9mm and can't tell a difference.  I also tried a full auto Glock and can't tell a difference either.  I was shooting at paper and my groups are about the same.

Now I know IMI and Glock makes factory compensated barrels so I would think they should work.  I just can't tell.  

I can definitely see it working for rifle calibers and 45ACP and also 40SW in full auto.  I just don't think 9mm has enough gas.....maybe just me and my circle of friends but we can't tell.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the clear answer is yes, comps and brakes work, but their ability to make a difference we notice with pistol calibers is grossly overshadowed by the rest of the design and the weight of the reciprocating mass.   An MP5 is way smoother than a Sten.  So once you get to the smoothness of MP5 level, is that comp or brake even noticeable? Is there anything left to tame?   So it’s basically moot on both ends of the spectrum, but if you want to notice it, you need to have already removed as much of the other crude design first. It’s like race cars, a lot of stuff doesn’t really matter unless you are at a certain high level of performance.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was trying to decide if I wanted the RDP version of the Springfield Hellcat (the one with the compensator), I watched a YouTube video where the author compared the compensated one with the non-compensated one, and there was a max angle difference between the two.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the clear answer is yes, comps and brakes work, but their ability to make a difference we notice with pistol calibers is grossly overshadowed by the rest of the design and the weight of the reciprocating mass.   An MP5 is way smoother than a Sten.  So once you get to the smoothness of MP5 level, is that comp or brake even noticeable? Is there anything left to tame?
View Quote
There is on a 10mm MP5 (MP5/10) and FBI HRT used brakes on theirs in the 1990s, but mainly I think that was to protect the front of their Surefire 628 lights.

It definitely helps on a PPSh-41 despite having a pretty crude one. It lets me hold a 3-round burst on a torso out to about 100m.

A sound suppressor is definitely my favorite muzzle device for a SMG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top