Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2018 11:09:30 PM EDT
I’ve not reloaded coated or cast bullets.  I’d like to try some for cost savings over plated.

Does the Lee expander die produce enough case expansion to seat these bullets without damaging the coating?

From what I’ve red on the subject, a lot of people point to the Lyman M die as the best solution.  I don’t have a free spot on my 4 hole Turret press so I’d want to use them my regular Lee expanding die if possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Does the Lee expander die produce enough case expansion to seat these bullets without damaging the coating?
View Quote
Worked for me.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standard case mouth expander works fine, but the glitch is you need to hold onto the bullet to keep is square to the case as the bullet  are entering the bullet seating die.

Think this as you are levering the bullet and case up into the bullet seating die via the ram/cross plate.
https://i.imgur.com/6RNtvr6.jpg

And all the case needs to be flair is about this much as the bullet is being pressed into the case, the mouth edge is not going to shave the coating isntead.

https://i.imgur.com/yqZPwMT.jpg

On the M expander, it steps the top of case outwards in a slight ring step, so when you set the bullet on the case, this ring will hold the bullet straight up and down with the case, so you don't have to ride the bullet up with the ram/shell plate into the sizer instead.
http://thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com/2010/11/119245_ea8f3ac4d6924a3ef296f638b4c69740.jpg
View Quote
Great info!  Are you using a factory crimp die on those or are you able to use the seater/crimp die combo that comes in the standard Lee 3 die set?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
M-die for every caliber!!!  Even rifle.  I use mine as a ghetto mandrel die as well.

The Lee Expander isnt terrible, but not at the level of an M-die.  As a side note, NOE does make expanders you can put on a Lee expander to make it function like an M-die.  However, once my M-die is set, I dont want to screw with it, set it and forget it.  If you had to change the NOE insert on the Lee die everytime, that would get a little old.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the Lyman M dies but also use a RCBS neck expander and yes the Lee universal which basically is only a mouth flare tool. I've been using it with my cast .223

I've been seating and crimping in one operation since 1985 and haven't found the down side yet. When I use the progressive though I do 2 steps because you have to pull the lever anyway so why not.

But when it comes to rifle I use a Lee FCD. The collet type rifle FCD is very likely Lee's best ever tool. I especially like it for cast bullet loads because of its great adjustability. I'm usually just applying a light crimp to my cast rifle ammo.

Motor

The only down side to seating and crimping in one step is learning how to do it. It's become second nature to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
For bottleneck rifle cases I prefer a Sinclair Neck Expander Mandrel die to an M die.  I have both.  I own every mandrel needed for the Sinclair Die because I like it more.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
As said "Lee universal which basically is only a mouth flare tool."   Not what you want.

Others expanders  will open the  inside diameter of the case to accept the bullet and bell/flare the case mouth.

I have been using the standard RCBS expander for years. Or the Dillon powder through  expander.

I have only needed a Lyman "M" die to load rifle cartridges, like 30-30, 30-06 using a lead bullet. Mostly because its only a 2 die set.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You know you don't always have to expand the neck. I think dano touched on this. It is typically recommended that with cast bullets that a neck expander .001" larger than the bullet be used but it depends on your alloy and other factors.

If you are casting a 15bhn bullet you are not going to swedge it with 3 to 4 thousandths neck tension. So if this bullet was a .309" and you were seating it into a casing sized with a standard ball expander for a jacketed .308" bullet there is a very good chance that all you would "need" is some mouth flare to get it started without shaving.

This isn't a one rule for all thing. Fact is when it comes to loading and shooting cast bullets there are very little rules set in stone and now with powder coating there are even a few less.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
They work fine for me, 10s of thousands of coated loaded, PC, HiTek, and whatever The Blue Bullets use.
I did get a 38S&W insert for my 9mm die, it's like $3 and expands further down in the case to help prevent swaging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top