Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2018 11:42:36 PM EDT
While most I what I read is years old, I read the 37MM flare launcher is not considered a firearm.  But I've seen where a Colt 37MM, as well as the LMT, require a transfer.  I've read BATF regs about a 37mm launcher along with certain ammunition, but it still confusing.

I does it have something to do if it's able to accept a 40MM barrel or can shoot something other than a flare?   I have a Cobary 37MM launcher, but don't know if it's something I an drop in  box and send to someone in another state. If so, can I send it to any state? Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The M203, without barrel, isn't a signalling device or flare gun of any kind... it's a firearms receiver. That's the distinction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While most I what I read is years old, I read the 37MM flare launcher is not considered a firearm.  But I've seen where a Colt 37MM, as well as the LMT, require a transfer.  I've read BATF regs about a 37mm launcher along with certain ammunition, but it still confusing.
View Quote
ANY launcher can be a DD, if possessed with "anti-personnel munitions" which include the less-lethal projectiles like bean bags and CS powder.
If you don't have such munitions around, then 37mm smooth bore launchers fall under the USCG flare or signalling device exception.

A rifled 37mm launcher is a DD, even without ammo.
Same for a 40mm launcher, rifled or not.

Does it have something to do if it's able to accept a 40MM barrel or can shoot something other than a flare?
View Quote
Yes, if the receiver can accept a 40mm barrel then it is a Title I firearm without any barrel installed. With a 40mm barrel installed, it is a DD.
It's still a firearm with a smooth bore 37mm barrel installed.

LMT recently released a 37mm smooth bore "lookalike" M203 which cannot accept a standard 40mm barrel, therefore it is not a firearm. It is also not a real M203 receiver.

I have a Cobary 37MM launcher, but don't know if it's something I can drop in box and send to someone in another state. If so, can I send it to any state?
View Quote
Federally, it isn't considered a firearm. You just have to ensure it's legal where you want to ship it to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw a 12 barrel street sweeper style flare launcher it is set up to launch signal flares.  Not sure what the size was but the flare gun flare it uses are the polish flare gun
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw a 12 barrel street sweeper style flare launcher it is set up to launch signal flares.  Not sure what the size was but the flare gun flare it uses are the polish flare gun
View Quote
If you mean the Polish RGA-86, it's a 15-shot 26.5mm launcher and it isn't a firearm.
Attachment Attached File

We have a couple threads on it here from last month:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/RGA-86-/21-491101/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Polish-rotary-15-shot-launcher-26-5mm-For-the-ultimate-in-smoke-screens/21-491411/
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
lol

For when you really gotta get your signal out or your message through!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top