Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2022 2:44:47 PM EDT

CCI

Midway USA

Just a humble after action report - Since I goy my MKIV and .22 can I've been looking for quiet ammo that will reliably cycle.  This stuff really fits the bill!  45gn @ 970fps and 82ft-lb at 50 yards.  I bought 500 sight-unseen a couple of days ago and I'm glad I did; out of stock already.  Keep an eye out though, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What does this do that regular old CCI standard Velocity doesn't, except cost a lot more?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does this do that regular old CCI standard Velocity doesn't, except cost a lot more?
View Quote

Even silenced it's much quieter. CCI Quiets are like 750 fps and are click quiet in cans
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cost more than double.

Standard is 1070 @ 40g
I can find it for 10cpr shipped.

Subsonic version shown above  is 970 @ 45g.
Cost seems to be 20cpr shipped.

Thats a big cost dfference.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
CCI Clean SubSonic is absolutely terrible and doesn't function in any semiautos, do not buy it.....

So that I can buy it all!  CCI makes some fantastic subsonic 22LR rounds and they are very reliable across all the pistols and rifles I have tried.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Cci mini mags are good
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
5 more grains.

It’s your funeral.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

My starting point wasn't Standard Velocity, it was CCI Quiet.  CCI Quiet is neat; virtually silent out of my suppressed bolt-action and very accurate,  but it's sort of a parlor trick.  It's weak as hell and it won't cycle a semi.  So I (and others - to whom this thread was intentioned) have been looking for something as quiet but with a little more 'oomph'.

What CCI Suppressor does is be as quiet as CCI Quiet, reliably cycle a semi-auto, and have more than twice the energy down range.  

Another round I was looking at is the Aguila SSS.  I haven't found any to try but I read that the 60gn bullet doesn't stabilize well in 1:16 barrels.

CCI Standard     40gn     1070fps   73ft-lb@100yds    
CCI Quiet          45gn     710fps     36ft-lb@100yds
CCI Suppressor  45gn     970fps     73ft-lb@100yds
Aguila SSS         60gn     950fps     96ft-lb@100yds
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My starting point wasn't Standard Velocity, it was CCI Quiet.  CCI Quiet is neat; virtually silent out of my suppressed bolt-action and very accurate out to 50 yards, but it's sort of a parlor trick.  It's weak as hell and it won't cycle a semi.  So I (and others) have been looking for something as quiet but with more oomph.

What CCI Suppressor does is be as quiet as CCI Quiet, reliably cycle a semi-auto, and have more than twice the energy down range.  

Another round I was looking at is the Aguila SSS.  I haven't found any to try but I read that the 60gn bullet doesn't stabilize well in 1:16 barrels.
View Quote

There is also CCI Quiet semiauto that will operate a semi bolt. Buy it all. Use what’s best for the purpose.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is also CCI Quiet semiauto that will operate a semi bolt. Buy it all. Use what’s best for the purpose.
View Quote

I didn't know that existed.  Dang, they make a lot of flavors.  Looks like it splits the difference between Quiet and Suppressor.

CCI Standard     40gn     1070fps   73ft-lb@100yds    
CCI Quiet          40 gn     710fps     36ft-lb@100yds
CCI Semi Auto   45gn     835fps     55ft-lb@100yds
CCI Suppressor  45gn     970fps     73ft-lb@100yds
Aguila SSS         60gn     950fps     96ft-lb@100yds
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been buying up as much quiet semi auto as I can. It was oos for a long long time
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heavier bullet for more KE and presumably higher BC.  If your V  is limited to subsonic, mass is everything.

Although if you just want quiet and don't need to cycle a semi-auto, CCI CB longs or shorts are widely available, and absolutely STUPID quiet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Heavier bullet for more KE and presumably higher BC.  If your V  is limited to subsonic, mass is everything.

Although if you just want quiet and don't need to cycle a semi-auto, CCI CB longs or shorts are widely available, and absolutely STUPID quiet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same energy at 100yds.  Worth double the cost?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same energy at 100yds.  Worth double the cost?
View Quote

When the goal is quiet and "double" is pennies, yes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
My integral dumps a little velocity (barrel length) for more baffle space.

CCI standards come out just subsonic.  They’re perfect.

Quiets are super quiet in my bolt guns with a screw-on can, but pretty anemic for doing anything but putting holes in paper.

The mini-mag CCIs are (obviously) louder.

Aguila is also just about right, velocity-wise, but isn’t as accurate as the CCI and smells like cat piss.

Back when .22 was cheap, I think I bought 10K of both the CCI standard and Aguila.  I’m pretty set for .22 for a while, except that I should have bought a bunch of wolf match stuff.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I've looked at it, but never pulled the trigger.

CCI SV is subsonic almost right out of barrel.  In my mkiv 22/45 lite with tbac td, there's no crack.

Out of a rifle the SV does break the sound barrier, but the crack is minimal and I can't always hear it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The heavier bullet generates more recoil and will more reliably cycle guns designed around high velocity ammo.

Sometimes standard velocity is noticeably less reliable in such guns.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought two bricks of Quiet Semi a few weeks back and it's been pretty great. I've loved the quiets out of my ruger american here in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#18]
In my testing CCI Suppressor is just slightly quieter, to the point of not making much real world difference, than CCI Standard Velocity. At 50 yards its also considerably less accurate with more drop. I think people just buy it because it says Suppressor on the packaging.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Had shot some through my RAR and TCR. Along with all the other special flavors, they were fairly disappointing.

I get best results from SV and minimags.

The RAR (with a can of course) is literally louder to dryfire than shoot a standard.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#20]
CCI standard is $3.99/box locally with no limit. When shooting suppressed from a bolt gun or CMMG AR it’s very quiet. I’ve tried CBs, Quiet, etc and have decided they’re not worth what they cost. I even tried Winchester’s “suppressor” ammo which went laughably supersonic in every rifle I tried it with. I can’t  see what role this round is supposed to fill, but if it works for you and you are enjoying yourself that’s all that matters.

I guess I’m just a little upset that those components aren’t being used to make more standard velocity or blazer.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I miss the days when suppressor was super cheap. It used to be the same price as standard velocity in my area. I bought 1000 rounds for 8 CPR.

I've been using it as plink ammo just to cycle through it. I should have sold it instead.

Even more fun are CB Shorts. I have a rifle that cycles on them even. Talk about quiet. It doesn't even need a can.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been using this. With my M&P 15-22 Rifle, and S&W Victory, with a can. Very quiet, and no more reliability issues than with any other 22 LR ammo.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I posted in a previous thread somewhere about a month or two ago about this as well.  I love CCI suppressor.  When I shoot it in my integral 10/22 Gemtech Mist, it is noticeably quieter than standard.  Both are subsonic but the suppressor is definitely quieter and has a lower tone.  Some people say that even the stuff that is subsonic but within 100 FPS of going supersonic ends up having a little bit of a transonic noise.  I don’t know the exact reasoning but CCI suppressor is definitely my go to.  I also definitely prefer it in my bolt gun because it often sounds like CCI standard goes supersonic where the CCI suppressor never does

Having said that, I will have to say the CCI Quiet Semiauto cycles that same integral 10/22 just fine and is even the next level of quiet.  Not quite as quiet as regular CCI Quiet but still very quiet.  I purchased 2000 rounds of that and it is now my favorite plinking round for that gun.  CCI Quiet Semiauto is the most quiet round you can purchase that has some chance of cycling in a semi auto.

For many people CCI standard is quiet enough, just like there are plenty of people that purchase a mediocre $200 monocore .22LR Suppressor and declare that it is plenty quiet for their purposes.  And they probably genuinely feel that way until they shoot something like a Deadair Mask.  Even then, some people can’t tell the difference or don’t care about that slight difference.  Even a nicer monocore like the Silencerco Sparrow has atrocious FRP in my opinion, where some people that doesn’t bother them at all

Just like some people can’t tell the difference or don’t care about the difference between $20 cheap scotch and something like Macallan 18 single malt.  For some, its the same thing, for others it’s light years in difference
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I posted in a previous thread somewhere about a month or two ago about this as well.  I love CCI suppressor.  When I shoot it in my integral 10/22 Gemtech Mist, it is noticeably quieter than standard.  Both are subsonic but the suppressor is definitely quieter and has a lower tone.  Some people say that even the stuff that is subsonic but within 100 FPS of going supersonic ends up having a little bit of a transonic noise.  I don’t know the exact reasoning but CCI suppressor is definitely my go to.  I also definitely prefer it in my bolt gun because it often sounds like CCI standard goes supersonic where the CCI suppressor never does

Having said that, I will have to say the CCI Quiet Semiauto cycles that same integral 10/22 just fine and is even the next level of quiet.  Not quite as quiet as regular CCI Quiet but still very quiet.  I purchased 2000 rounds of that and it is now my favorite plinking round for that gun.  CCI Quiet Semiauto is the most quiet round you can purchase that has some chance of cycling in a semi auto.

For many people CCI standard is quiet enough, just like there are plenty of people that purchase a mediocre $200 monocore .22LR Suppressor and declare that it is plenty quiet for their purposes.  And they probably genuinely feel that way until they shoot something like a Deadair Mask.  Even then, some people can’t tell the difference or don’t care about that slight difference.  Even a nicer monocore like the Silencerco Sparrow has atrocious FRP in my opinion, where some people that doesn’t bother them at all

Just like some people can’t tell the difference or don’t care about the difference between $20 cheap scotch and something like Macallan 18 single malt.  For some, its the same thing, for others it’s light years in difference
View Quote

In my TBAC takedown, there is no FRP.  

The Macallan 12yr is my every day sip, 18 for special occasions.

We shot 22s yesterday.  I still don't see much, if any, difference between SK Rifle Match, CCI SV, and CCI quiet out of a cz 457.  Out of a custom "10/22" there is also minimal difference and i think the majority of that is the bolt/action cycling.

It's possible people's perception is different due to environment or elevation.  Instead of because they're less refined than you as you implied.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
i have been running fed AE 45gr subs in my 15-22 pistol suppressed.

stupid quiet

5.99/50 rounds

in my bolt gun with can i usually use fed GMM, CCI standard, and geco match.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i have been running fed AE 45gr subs in my 15-22 pistol suppressed.

stupid quiet

5.99/50 rounds

in my bolt gun with can i usually use fed GMM, CCI standard, and geco match.

View Quote

Interesting note, apparently CCI makes the American Eagle line of .22LR for federal.  So if you’re using the Federal AE 45gr that’s says 970 fps on the box, it’s a clone of the CCI Suppressor line, just with a copper wash pull it instead of a bare lead bullet.  A lot of people don’t know that and it’s great because it’s significantly cheaper and it’s the exact same thing made by the same company.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In my testing CCI Suppressor is just slightly quieter, to the point of not making much real world difference, than CCI Standard Velocity. At 50 yards its also considerably less accurate with more drop. I think people just buy it because it says Suppressor on the packaging.
View Quote

Pretty much agree.

As far as CCI quiet, I have experienced and there are numerous reports on the web, that is terribly inaccurate past about 50 feet.

Some people are completely unaware subsonic and standard velocity are really the same thing.

I want quiet and accurate so having low noise signature without accuracy won’t cut it.

I use eley club, lapua pistol king and SK pistol match suppressed and it is both quiet and accurate
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
CCI doing 710 PFS

50 Yards:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#29]

All the barrels I’ve tried it in, the 7XXfps quiets, it’s about just as safe to hide behind the target as a tank. No shit, I’m talking 3-4” groups at 50yds, vertical dispersion is pretty bad too. Oval groups.

Where SV will do about a 5/8” group from the same barrel.

Iirc from the TCR, SV does closer to 1”@50, but it likes minimags.

No clue why I can’t get any fancy ammo to group. Usually the cheap stuff is poor, but it’s cheap. The median ammo, like SV, Aguila, shoot very well. The stuff like quiets, stingers, hunter-match, anything with a Buckmark on it, I could probably throw at the target with better effect. When I get back into too shelf stuff like Eley, groups improve, but since I have rack-grade guns setup for field use, their potential is lost in the noise.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will stay subsonic out of a rifle, standard velocity not so much.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All the barrels I’ve tried it in, the 7XXfps quiets, it’s about just as safe to hide behind the target as a tank. No shit, I’m talking 3-4” groups at 50yds, vertical dispersion is pretty bad too. Oval groups.

Where SV will do about a 5/8” group from the same barrel.

Iirc from the TCR, SV does closer to 1”@50, but it likes minimags.

No clue why I can’t get any fancy ammo to group. Usually the cheap stuff is poor, but it’s cheap. The median ammo, like SV, Aguila, shoot very well. The stuff like quiets, stingers, hunter-match, anything with a Buckmark on it, I could probably throw at the target with better effect. When I get back into too shelf stuff like Eley, groups improve, but since I have rack-grade guns setup for field use, their potential is lost in the noise.
View Quote
It just might be the rifle.
I was shooting a CZ 457:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
CCI SV is subsonic in my 9” 22LR AR. So I use that in the rifle.

I use mini mags or federal bulk pack in my pistol because they are even cheaper and stay subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
CCI Clean SubSonic is absolutely terrible and doesn't function in any semiautos, do not buy it.....

So that I can buy it all!  CCI makes some fantastic subsonic 22LR rounds and they are very reliable across all the pistols and rifles I have tried.
View Quote
Agreed, CCI Clean and Quiet is my favorite load for suppression, it works in everything I've tried it in.  I've also been shooting Norma Tac-22 lately as it's available in my stores.  It's subsonic and quite accurate in my guns, however it's unplated lead.  I shoot Aguila SSS in my suppressed AR-15 conversion kits because it's a lot more accurate in the 1:9 twist barrel, and it's subsonic and heavy hitting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Suppressor is my go to round for suppressed rifle shooting.  Just cleaned the local Bass Pro out to stock up.  I have several hundred "Quiets" that won't group for anything beyond twenty yards.  More like a shotgun pattern.  Sure are quiet though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
CCI standard velocity is supersonic when shooting out of my Ruger American Rimfire. These are much quieter for me. CCI quiets are fun in a bolt action, but I prefer more umphh for hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top