Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:51:37 AM EDT
First off let me state that I have no plans to sell any of my SBRs. This is a hypothetical question.

I just got my eForm 1 approved (10 days ) for the B&T TP9 I just bought and the proprietary can is in jail with a long ways to go. This was by far the most money I’ve dropped on a gun and can all at once so I probably just have some cold feet. All my other rifles have been pieced together over time to lighten the blow even though some cost about the same in the end. So I started thinking if I ever needed to sell the TP9, would someone want to buy a gun with someone else’s name engraved on the side? I probably wouldn’t unless I got a deal I couldn’t pass up but to each their own. Obviously, with an AR I could separate the upper and lower and just sell the upper. With the TP9 I could remove the stock and sell it as a pistol. Did a quick google search and found the following article:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

It states that the original manufacturer engravings are good enough and you don’t have to engrave your name and location unless you intend to sell the gun AS an SBR. Now, I always thought you had to engrave the gun when your form 1 was approved like I did with my other SBR but this article says otherwise. This article is a couple years old so something could’ve changed since then but does anybody know what the answer is here? Thanks all!

ETA: I can't get the link to go hot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That TTAG article is incorrect. It's been discussed here before (many times).

Yes the maker/manufacturer is required to engrave. You may adopt existing markings, but you'll still have to add the name of yourself (or your legal entity) as well as the location where initially assembled (unless it just happens to be the same location already engraved on the firearm originally).

You can add the markings to the barrel if you prefer. It's usually the least expensive part to replace if you ever want to sell. (Maybe not on a TP9 though).

Quoted:
So I started thinking if I ever needed to sell the TP9, would someone want to buy a gun with someone else's name engraved on the side?
View Quote
No. It always reduces the value.
Most people will pay a little more to start with an unengraved gun to add their own markings to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You could also engrave the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel is a good call. That’s probably what I’ll do then. Does the engraving have to be visible without taking the gun apart?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barrel is a good call. That’s probably what I’ll do then. Does the engraving have to be visible without taking the gun apart?
View Quote
It's supposed to be 'readily visible' or something like that. That said, IIRC ATF has said that guns inside of "shell stocks" are ok, and their markings are not really visible without disassembly so, yeah.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My unofficial theory is that if you have the required engraving somewhere on the frame/receiver/barrel (and at the minimum depth and height), you'll be fine. (A strict reading of the law says otherwise however).

The worst I've heard of is an ATF SA taking someone's unengraved NFA firearm and engraving it for them right there with an electro-pencil super ugly on the side. (I think at the Knob Creek MG shoot years ago).

Others without engraving have been told by ATF "Go fix this."

So if you actually have it, likely they'd just say, "Make this better." (if anything).

Some here will tell you how they haven't engraved, and it's been fine (which is in violation of USC/CFR of course).

The question I never see anyone discussing is the scenario where you aren't the maker/manufacturer, but purchased it from them, and they failed to engrave. There's nothing stating it can't be possessed that way. USC specifies "the maker/manufacturer shall engrave..."
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as putting a gun on Form1..... and then selling it as a pistol?? You have placed that firearm on the NFA registry. I am curious what happens to the guy that you sell it to (maybe even out of state) and they try to Form1 it. Then they have a NFA registered firearm, across state lines, that wasn't transferred on a Form4. Am I missing something here? Maybe I am wrong.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#7]
You must mark the gun.  Ignore any source that says otherwise.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was told that a penalty wasn’t specified for failing to engrave.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Conspicuously placed is the wording IIRC.

And the only time I've seen them define that was in ATF Ruling 2002-6, which included:

...and "conspicuous" means that all required markings must be placed in such a manner as to be wholly unobstructed from plain view.  For example, required markings may not be placed on a portion of the barrel where the markings would be wholly or partially obstructed from view by another part of the firearm, such as a flash suppressor or bayonet mount.
View Quote
That means the barrel is out of the question for the TP9 as no part of the barrel is visible without taking the gun apart. The only part that is visible is the barrel shroud that allows you to use the proprietary can.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The newer Form1 has it in the instructions as well;
Description of Firearm and Markings. (1) Item 4a. If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer. If you are creating the firearm, enter the maker's name, city and state. (2) Item 4b. The types of NFA firearms are listed in the definitions. (3) Item 4c. Specify one caliber or gauge. If there is another designation, indicate the designation in item 4h. (4) Item 4d. Show the model designation (if known). (5) Items 4e and 4f. Specify one barrel length and overall length in items 4e and 4f as applicable. Note: if the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with the stock extended. (6) Item 4g. Do not alter or modify the serial number of an existing firearm. Enter the existing serial number or, if a new firearm, one you create. (7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with his or her name, city and state. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102.

And yeah, the 478.92 for markings other than serial number:
By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed.

I'm not sure if "conspicuously placing" means visibility overall, or in regards to how it is placed (engraving, casting, stamping OR conspicuously) rather than where.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm almost positive there is an ATF letter stating that a SBR (or was it sbs?) inside an aftermarket bullpup kit that encased pretty much the entire gun, obscuring the nfa engraving, was a-ok. It's been a while, and my memory sucks these days. Anyone else seen this?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I engraved mine. I will not engrave any future lowers. I have friends and relatives who are LEO and they don't even engrave theirs. I know more people personally who don't have their lowers engraved than do. But, to each his own.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know a lot of people who drive over the speed limit. Including LEO. But that doesn't make it legal...or guarantee none of them ever get a ticket. An NFA violation could be a lot more expensive than a speeding ticket.

Asking LEOs for legal advice is probably equally as bad as asking the guy behind the counter of your LGS. The regulations are very clear on the requirements.

But you do you...
View Quote
Exactly.

Ever read up the punishment for NFA violations?

Plus THSF makes it simple and easy...and in the trigger area...its hardly noticeable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I engraved mine. I will not engrave any future lowers. I have friends and relatives who are LEO and they don't even engrave theirs. I know more people personally who don't have their lowers engraved than do. But, to each his own.
View Quote
Rules for thee, not for me.

Just engrave your Form1 weapons.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know a lot of really dumb people.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know a lot of people who drive over the speed limit. Including LEO. But that doesn't make it legal...or guarantee none of them ever get a ticket. An NFA violation could be a lot more expensive than a speeding ticket.

Asking LEOs for legal advice is probably equally as bad as asking the guy behind the counter of your LGS. The regulations are very clear on the requirements.

But you do you...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you do you...
Yep.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
The last Form 1 I received was “approved with the following conditions” that it would be engraved with maker name/location.  Can’t be clearer than that.  It was in black and white on the actual fucking Form 1.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I asked the ATF via email and they gave me this response..

[email protected]

The barrel may be attached after you receive the approved Form 1.  Markings have to be engraved regardless of whether you want to keep it or sell it.  There is no specific guidance on exactly when but most people in law enforcement will consider what is reasonable.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#24]
People that are willing to go through the NFA process, pay the $200, wait for months in end etc. but are not willing to engrave their SBR are completely ridiculous. You're not "sticking it to the Man", you're just screwing yourself if you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in a situation where a zealous prosecutor is looking for some kind of charge that will stick. It's a pretty low chance of being the victim of The System, but there's certainly a chance and there's no good reason to risk it. Diane Fienstein isn't crying herself to sleep thinking about unengraved SBRs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're not "sticking it to the Man", you're just screwing yourself if you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in a situation where a zealous prosecutor is looking for some kind of charge that will stick.
View Quote
I don't know that the charge would stick. There isn't a "seperate" charge simply for failing to engrave, so they'd have to charge you with violating the whole USC for registration, except you did register.

I found no information where anyone who failed to engrave was actually charged. I don't think it's ever happened.

I would argue that possessing an unengraved (but lawfully registered) NFA firearm puts one at much less legal risk than possessing an unregistered NFA firearm.
I completely agree they are not "sticking it to the man" by failing to engrave.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The last Form 1 I received was "approved with the following conditions" that it would be engraved with maker name/location.  Can't be clearer than that.  It was in black and white on the actual fucking Form 1.
View Quote
Yes, but that is a fairly recent development.

Thousands of citizens have approved NFA registrations without such conditions named on the form. The owners holding those forms are likely impossible to prosecute.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know that the charge would stick. There isn't a "seperate" charge simply for failing to engrave, so they'd have to charge you with violating the whole USC for registration, except you did register.

I found no information where anyone who failed to engrave was actually charged. I don't think it's ever happened.
View Quote
All this.

Tony posts a case where ATF engraved a gun for a person who did not, then gave it back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thousands of citizens have approved NFA registrations without such conditions named on the form. The owners holding those forms are likely impossible to prosecute.
View Quote
I very much doubt that they are impossible to prosecute.  First, whether the examiner writes it on the form or not, engraving is required by federal law, so yes, you have to do it.  Second, box 4h of the Form 1 is filled in with the “required” makers name, city, and state “as each will appear on the firearm”.  If the ATF really pushed it, I doubt someone who refused to engrave their SBR would win in court.

Don’t get the big deal about engraving.  Just do it.  It’s cheap and plenty of places are able to do it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The stamp might be "recent" but the law has always been there.  The fact they are stamping it on the form now to remind people of the law thats been in place should prove the point... the law is it must be marked by the maker.  Whether or not their particular Form 1 says that or it doesn't.  The Form 1 isn't intended to be the only explicit container of SBR/NFA governing laws.

The red condition of approval should clarify for anyone what the ATFs view is... they are literally quoting the law that uses word such as "Must", "Stamp" "Firearm" and "maker".

"Per 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102, the maker must stamp
the firearm with the makers name, city and state"
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last Form 1 I received was "approved with the following conditions" that it would be engraved with maker name/location.  Can't be clearer than that.  It was in black and white on the actual fucking Form 1.

It’s a recent issue because in the past it was assumed that the directions were clear. There was no big problem until thousands of people ignorant to the rules started form 1ing everything under the sun and then being told they didn’t follow the law.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There was no big problem until thousands of people ignorant to the rules started form 1ing everything under the sun and then being told they didn’t follow the law.
View Quote
...and there is still "no big problem."

The .gov is thankful that we're all still playing by the rules at this time.

Nobody has ever been prosecuted for failing to engrave. There is no penalty for failing to engrave.

Many, many years ago the guidance was specifically NOT to engrave because the various Law Enforcement databases that existed at the time (think green monochrome and flashing cursor) didn't have multiple fields for different "Manufacturers" and the Feds knew that characterizing SBR-ing as "manufacturing an NFA item" was just a sleazy play.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I engraved my receiver on the last one.   Going forward I may do the barrels on each upper as without the uppers they are just regular old receivers with a stamp.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nobody has ever been prosecuted for failing to engrave...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nobody has ever been prosecuted for failing to engrave...
"Prosecuted"?

USAO filing charges is the last action they would take.
They can seize your firearm for starters.

You might beat the rap, you'll never beat the ride.

Many, many years ago the guidance was specifically NOT to engrave because the various Law Enforcement databases that existed at the time (think green monochrome and flashing cursor) didn't have multiple fields for different "Manufacturers" and the Feds knew that characterizing SBR-ing as "manufacturing an NFA item" was just a sleazy play
A Form 1 is for the "maker" of an NFA firearm, not "manufacturer".
Was this "guidance" from ATF? I've not seen any guidance contrary to what ATF regs have always said.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone betting the next 10 years of their freedom on the "they've never charged anyone else for it!" defense has WAY more faith in government than I do. The US Government is the all time world wide champ in coming up with novel ways to screw up, and I sure as heck don't want to be the first victim. What other people do is up to them, but I'm engraving my nfa stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And the only time I've seen them define that was in ATF Ruling 2002-6, which included:

...and "conspicuous" means that all required markings must be placed in such a manner as to be wholly unobstructed from plain view.  For example, required markings may not be placed on a portion of the barrel where the markings would be wholly or partially obstructed from view by another part of the firearm, such as a flash suppressor or bayonet mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to be 'readily visible' or something like that. That said, IIRC ATF has said that guns inside of "shell stocks" are ok, and their markings are not really visible without disassembly so, yeah.

You can’t see the SN on light bearing Glocks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
"Conspicuous" only applies to the MFG or Maker during the MFG or Making. Does not apply to the end-user. End-user is only bound to not "removed, obliterated, or alter".
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#38]
My last form 1 actually has a stamp in red on it mentoining that it has to be engraved as part of the approval.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"Conspicuous" only applies to the MFG or Maker during the MFG or Making. Does not apply to the end-user. End-user is only bound to not "removed, obliterated, or alter".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about if the maker/manufacturer failed to engrave their name and location (on a SBR), but then the NFA firearm was transferred to you...
Any intel on that situation?

I mean, can you engrave the prior owner's info on their behalf? (Seems like you shouldn't.)

Would you have any risk if you didn't?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How about if the maker/manufacturer failed to engrave their name and location (on a SBR), but then the NFA firearm was transferred to you...

I mean, can you engrave the prior owner's info on their behalf? (Seems like you shouldn't.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The risk is it would still be taken as it doesn’t comply.

Wonder if they would catch it because the info wouldn’t match up and the gun wouldn’t be in the registry?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never heard of that happening. My general rule is if a gun is not in compliance, bring it into compliance, if possible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Never heard of that happening. My general rule is if a gun is not in compliance, bring it into compliance, if possible.
View Quote
I'm just wondering if it's like 922(r) where it doesn't matter if the gun itself isn't in compliance. Maker should've engraved, but they didn't.

I'm not sure what USC they could seize it under.

We bought a SBS at a shop I was working at. The maker had never added any engraving, so the shop just swapped barrels and later sold it as a 18" Title I gun. It was worth more like that anyway.

(We had the previous owner send a letter advising it was permanently returned to Title I config)
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#44]
What if the previous owner never engraved their info but then unregistered the gun as an SBR? Wouldn’t it be considered a pistol at that point and be transferred like any other sale?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes I believe if it makes it all the way back to Title I, it's good to go. The extra NFA markings aren't required at that point.

That's exactly what happened with that 870 SBS in the above example.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes I believe if it makes it all the way back to Title I, it's good to go. The extra NFA markings aren't required at that point.

That's exactly what happened with that 870 SBS in the above example.
View Quote
Gotcha. Wasn’t sure if that’s what title 1 meant. Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Man.. what a waste of $200 for that SBS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Here's a case that should really titty twist you guys.

So you engrave the maker name and location on the barrel. You wear out the barrel and replace it but.....do you have to engrave the new one? The form 1 does not include the engraved info on the form other than that of the original manufacturer and serial number.

Several older non NFA guns did not have serial numbers before 1968 and others serial numbered the barrel only. Replacing the barrel would essentially remove the serial number from a gun. Its an area that ATF really has not addressed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here's a case that should really titty twist you guys.

So you engrave the maker name and location on the barrel. You wear out the barrel and replace it but.....do you have to engrave the new one? The form 1 does not include the engraved info on the form other than that of the original manufacturer and serial number.

Several older non NFA guns did not have serial numbers before 1968 and others serial numbered the barrel only. Replacing the barrel would essentially remove the serial number from a gun. Its an area that ATF really has not addressed.
View Quote
I believe you can not replace the barrel with new barrel if it was the NFA serialized item..  Think the ruling would fall under Gemtax when AAC resealized a new suppressor with the Gemtech markings and serial #, ATF stopped the practice so if your casing breaks beyond compare, your screwed.  Would think this would apply to NFA barrels.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top