Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/22/2018 2:14:01 PM EDT
I'm hoping to get into the 50 BMG game, but before I even consider a rifle in 50 BMG, I want to understand how much it would cost to reload.  Can someone please help me a cost breakdown for projectiles, brass, powder, and primers for these two loads? Also, where do you get this stuff at the best prices? The EE here doesn't have too much for 50 bmg stuff for sale so was wondering if there are other forums you recommend for buying as well as sites. I think I'll want to pick all these things up first and Golden Rule myself into getting a gun.

Load 1: Absolute cheapest plinking load (e.g. pulled bullets, plain powder/primer, usable brass)

Load 2: Most affordable accurate load (sub 1 moa out of a bolt gun) with range out to at least 1400.  ideally this can be done without going to the AMAX bullets, but I'm open to all ideas.

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
the cheapest bullets you can buy are surplus API ( armor piercing incendiary ) bullets, you would think they would be the most expensive, but they are the cheapest. . they run around $160.00 shipped for 500 of them.  I recently got a .50 and I'm stocking up on them myself. cheapest powder is surplus powder, around $60.00 per 8lb can. new production is around $150.00 a 8lb jug. primers are plain expensive. you can find cheap brass if you keep your eye open, I bought a bunch for .30 each recently.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the cheapest bullets you can buy are surplus API ( armor piercing incendiary ) bullets, you would think they would be the most expensive, but they are the cheapest. . they run around $160.00 shipped for 500 of them.  I recently got a .50 and I'm stocking up on them myself. cheapest powder is surplus powder, around $60.00 per 8lb can. new production is around $150.00 a 8lb jug. primers are plain expensive. you can find cheap brass if you keep your eye open, I bought a bunch for .30 each recently.
View Quote
@buck19delta where are you finding the surplus for $60/8lb jug?  I know a bunch was available back in 2012/13, but I haven't been able to find any at that price.   I've been looking at reloading for my 50, but at the cost for components I'm not sure it makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Pats reloading has it listed, or at least did last month

$48.00 for 8lbs.

http://patsreloading.com/patsrel3/Items.aspx

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys! Anyone got a bead on some really cheap bullets? Would be nice to get a store for those too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys! Anyone got a bead on some really cheap bullets? Would be nice to get a store for those too.
View Quote
I use ammunition store. gotten two orders from them, last one they shipped within a hour. be advised you will be paying around $30.00 for shipping, but even then they are only .34 cents each, which is still a great deal IMHO. Also, as was mentioned. the API bullets are a fire hazard, and you might have problems finding places to shoot them. ( I don't have that issue) but they are the cheapest bullets you can buy. they are bad assed though, and it takes a LOT to stop them..personally I would not own a .50 bmg without having a can of these, and a can of incendiary  laying around somewhere. they are the baddest projectiles you can buy, and they have their uses. I would love to buy a bunch of standard ball bullets  or AP for the same price ( 500 @ $130.00 ), I will buy some eventually but for now I'm stocking up on the API. I do have a decent supply of A-max, and turned solid brass / copper bullets.

http://ammunitionstore.com/categories/reloading/projectiles/rifle/50-bmg.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man. Yeah, those might be a good option just due to cost alone. The only problem is that site absolutely wrecks you on shipping. $45 shipping for the Can! Holy jeez!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks man. Yeah, those might be a good option just due to cost alone. The only problem is that site absolutely wrecks you on shipping. $45 shipping for the Can! Holy jeez!
View Quote
a can weighs 50lbs.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top