Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2021 12:24:52 PM EDT
Next post I have to edit gets a warning, remember this is a technical forum, not GD, dryflash3

Why or why not?

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I consider the source, but always double check vs. published to see if they pass the "sniff test."

Some on here I trust more than others.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell yeah. As a firm proponent of the neo-darwinian synthesis, it is my firm belief that we cannot rely solely on selection nor environmental affects on phenotypic expression. If we're to help the human species's continuing probability of survival then we must take it upon ourselves to reach back into the world and alter some piece of it so as to bias selection toward a desired direction. There's no better way to do that than to give out reloading data, especially my reloading data. I have one recipe that involves deliberately triple charging a .45acp case. To make sure we get our money's worth we also advise potential consumers of the data to do something astonishingly dangerous, "Use your own best judgement."

Here's how you do it in practice:

<some bad advice removed> left the last sentence. dryflash3

Use your own best judgement.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The group I shoot with likes to discuss pet loads and I’ve offered an opinion or two in reloading threads. I will only comment on specific loads that I use which can be backed up by published reloading data.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Just generalized info. This brand/weight bullet worked in X gun.  This particular powder was good or not good for X application. Everyone needs to work out the details themselves but I look for and try to provide a more of a consensus based on something just to cut down on all the trials and errors reloading has.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yeah. As a firm proponent of the neo-darwinian synthesis, it is my firm belief that we cannot rely solely on selection nor environmental affects on phenotypic expression. If we're to help the human species's continuing probability of survival then we must take it upon ourselves to reach back into the world and alter some piece of it so as to bias selection toward a desired direction. There's no better way to do that than to give out reloading data, especially my reloading data. I have one recipe that involves deliberately triple charging a .45acp case. To make sure we get our money's worth we also advise potential consumers of the data to do something astonishingly dangerous, "Use your own best judgement."

Here's how you do it in practice:

left the last sentence. dryflash3

Use your own best judgement.
View Quote
If y'all keep editing that out how is my whole point going to be demonstrated? ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just generalized info. This brand/weight bullet worked in X gun.  This particular powder was good or not good for X application. Everyone needs to work out the details themselves but I look for and try to provide a more of a consensus based on something just to cut down on all the trials and errors reloading has.
View Quote

Every gun is or can be a unique puzzle for reloading.   There can be some generally good loads but one always needs to tune to the gun.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
To help someone research a load for education use only, sure I have done it ( on this forum even)

As a reloader, it would be unwise to take someone’s data at face value and assume it is fine in your firearm.  You need to work the load to work for your set up.

Everyone has an opinion/ legal reason for and against; people just need to be responsible for what they put in their loads and guns

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I will give you very specific reload data.  The more specific the better, IMO.  If you leave out the details, the recipient is MORE likely to get in trouble.  

Then again, I am fairly conservative with my loads.  I always leave some room for error, some margin, for ME.  

Margin is your friend!

Load recommendations go above and beyond the general reloading practices that every reloader has to know - every barrel is different,... so start low and work up, etc.  If you do not know and follow the several fundamental rules for safe reloading, well, that's on YOU.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes.  I will happily give out every detail of a load.  

Every reloader is responsible for verifying any load information.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
<removed>Not funny and this is not GD. dryflash3

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I shoot book data, so sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to keep copies of an article on .40 minor with some starting loads that was in one of the gun rags. Me and buddy were running different loads to see how they worked in IDPA. Some people asked about it and I started printing off a few copies to have to show them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Me personally...... No I don't.  
I'll admit to the "ingredients" (ie bullets and powder combos) and say the velocities I'm getting.

But call me a "nervous Nancy" but specifics No.  
Too many variables and too many reloaders being lazy and simply trusting someone elses data.
Too many times I'll read a post and they have simply copied anothers load.........
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Shared data is invaluable if it includes the load, firearm and velocity. Most data from manufactures is longer barrels and/or test barrels. Getting load information from another person that includes velocity and firearm is useful when cross checking your own load development.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
gj, dryflash3,... again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I watched about 1/4 of a second of the video before I realized it was the super annoying guy who loves lehigh bullets more than his own mother.

I will share data, testing results and whatever is asked. Information is information and in this world, the more the better before it gets shut down.

Good reloaders will do their research and validate the info before just dumping powder and pulling the trigger. Bad reloaders will make big mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I always share data with the warning that I sometimes exhibit dyslexia in my thought process or my typing process.

The video does a great job of discussing case capacity, primer selection plays are large role in pressures too.

Everyone should be careful when changing components, especially in .308/7.62x51mm brass.

I never load anyone's suggested combination without vetting it with published data.

There is a segment of the reloading community that honestly believe load data is dummied down by lawyers. I am not one of them. The data represents the findings the day tested using their firearm and components. Your firearm is not their firearm and rarely does the end user have exactly the same brass, primers and powder lots.

Most published .308 starting loads are maximum or near maximum when substituting Lake City 7.62x51mm brass. Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#24]
So, guys, why would you NOT give out reloading details?  Are you worried about legal liability or perhaps just ethical liability?

For example, leaving out details like case manufacturer, seating depth, primer type and brand,... those are important details.  In 308, LC cases and Winchester brass are very different.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone got a hot 147g lead 9mm load with Unique for 231? Give it to me spicy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes. Every load I’ve shared fell within the limits of published data.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Just so everyone is aware, the member posting this link is also the creator of the YouTube videos.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just so everyone is aware, the member posting this link is also the creator of the YouTube videos.  

View Quote

Correct.

He did it over on Accurate Shooter as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know we have to be careful....  But there's a point where someone can be too paranoid about how careful the need to be.
View Quote

On both ends - giver and receiver.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've asked for loads and I've given loads.   I look at any of this as "use at your own risk".

I know we have to be careful....  But there's a point where someone can be too paranoid about how careful the need to be.
View Quote

I agree.  Any data give or received is "use at own risk".

In the current time of shortages and difficulty sourcing components, IMO sharing of information is extremely helpful.

Gone are the times where I'd happily take a new to me cartridge, source some bullets and powder, and then after consulting some manuals, start loading to see what worked.  

With something new, I'd much rather ask people what's worked.  If someone says "Bullet X with Powder Y at Z grains has been very accurate", the first thing I would do is verify this load is actually listed in manuals.  If I could find some data to back it up as being within published data, I'd step down and work up towards the level that worked for someone else.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#36]
very interesting video, and a good point. Reloading can be dangerous. If you are doing things properly, you are using materials that go BOOM! But I have asked for "best" materials for certain calibers and gained much information from reading threads BUT I always research the information I get and begin with start loads. Loading low number of cartridges and test for signs of pressure and accuracy before increasing a load. Unfortunately there are guys just looking for easy information and they take another guys "favorite" load and load up a few boxes or more of range brass they picked up and cleaned without sorting any of it and take it to the range and blast away. Gotta do your own homework but I don't see any harm in giving advise. Any info given on the internet should be used as food for thought only. jmho
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Much like we have the Four Rules of firearm safety, there should be some basic rules of reloading safety.  One of them would be something like "never reproduce a load from the internet without vetting the safety of said load".
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I shoot book data, so sure.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I share loading data In my circle of friends.  Nothing is beyond published data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top