Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2019 10:57:47 PM EDT
Basically I just need something that has the same exterior dimensions as a real glock slide, and can slide on the rails of a glock frame (26, 19, 17).  The interior portion doesn't need to be machined.  I can probably design it for you if you have a CNC machine and can tell me what format it should be in.  (I use google sketchup but I should be able to figure out how to export it as something you can use.  Learning Fusion 360.  But I'd be using a file from grabcad, rather than designing it from scratch.  I'd just remove the interior stuff, just a long rectangle with the rail cutouts.)

I need this for making holsters.  Don't want to buy an OEM slide just for this purpose.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What about a blue gun (dummy)?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about a blue gun (dummy)?
View Quote
There are none, I'm making holsters for Polymer80s.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Make one out of wood or a chunk of plastic.  A printed part would work, too.
View Quote
I want it made out of aluminum.  Also, this is something that could be sold to other holster makers, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just for one?

probably cheaper to buy the stripped real thing.

cad
cam
setup
tooling
machining time

it adds up quickly.
View Quote
Yup, the cost of this alone would equal the first two items on the above list: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/long-slide-blank-for-gen3-glock-19-17-4-stainless-prod115604.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Glock
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I want it made out of aluminum.  Also, this is something that could be sold to other holster makers, IMO.
View Quote
Other holster makers use polymer models, generally. The detail is fine for molding thermoplastics, they're durable, they're cheap, and they're already mass-produced. The last issue is the only issue you really have.

If you 100% must have it made from aluminum... use it for making a high-resolution resin copy (silicone mold) and then send that to a smaller foundry capable of casting aluminum with very fine facing sand... and there you have your holster-maker product, but I still don't see why you want it from aluminum.

Alternatively, spend a whole lot more and have each one machined, which is nonsensical.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy an Advantage Arms conversion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess it just makes more sense to buy one of these P80 molds.  https://www.ontargetgunmolds.com/shop/pro-series-xt-weapon-molds/

I'm still gonna try to design this thing from a slide model I found on grabcad.  Gives me a reason to learn how to use Fusion 360.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just for one?

probably cheaper to buy the stripped real thing.

cad
cam
setup
tooling
machining time

it adds up quickly.
Yup, the cost of this alone would equal the first two items on the above list: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/long-slide-blank-for-gen3-glock-19-17-4-stainless-prod115604.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Glock
I will second this. Unless you already have buyers set up wanting them, it’s cost prohibitive. My parents started a small business that needed parts precision machined. It’s just not worth it if you aren’t running at least small batches.  Even if you are looking for 25 or so, good luck. Most cnc machine shops have contract fulfillment to meet first, and will “try” to get to your stuff when they can.

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, but I just don’t see it in any practical business model. A cast polymer/resin blue gun that you make a mold off your gun, yes. How many holsters do you think you will sell for polymer 80’s?  How many fake slides / mold guns can you sell?  What is your profit margin on each?  If you want a run of 100 slides, the cost per. would probably be fairly reasonable. 1, 5, 20, not so much.

If this is more for hobby use. You can easily make a decent one out of aluminum with some creativity and woodworking tools. A band saw, router, vice, and a few hours with files will make you one good enough for kydex molding. Even then making a silicone mold and using some epoxy would be easier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
No, just poor and don't want to buy an OEM slide that I'm not going to use.  For some reason I didn't think to look for P80 molds.

And, it would be this one: http://www.shopdiyholster.com/poly-80-series-molding-drones-original-grey-series/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top