Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2020 4:30:02 PM EDT
Ordered a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 AR mag rifle, and am looking into whats available for the rifle.

Am I missing a thread on them or shall we start one?

Putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it first thing, and need some rings or I may try using an Aero Ultralight mount I have sitting around
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
good thread, tag for interest. I had one that I sold before my sandman cleared.
Now I have to buy another one to shoot suppressed
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure there are guys who threw them in the Magpul stocks
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in. Just picked a RaR 5.56 up about 10 days ago. Looking to mount a Leupold Ultralight 2-7x 28mm on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My main PRS gun is a Ruger Predator.

I'm a newbie but I attend a monthly match. My rifle is a Predator in 260 rem, with AICs Accurate binderless mags I am able to shoot 147gr ELDs and only have a small jump.

The rifle is in an Indian Creek Chassis with the arca rail fore-end. I removed the blade from the trigger and resprung it with a lighter spring and it has a pretty low and consitent trigger pull. For optics and mounts I have a EGW 20 MOA rail and Burris XTR Signature rings spaced as far apart as possible with an additional 20moa. Just bought a Brownells MPO scope but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

I recently added a mlock weight kit to keep the recoil down to help spot my misses. Pretty good budget rifle that doesn't hold me back at all, when the barrel is shot out I am keeping the action/chassis and will simply rebarrel it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure there are guys who threw them in the Magpul stocks
View Quote
Yep, and that was my plan, but it wont work with AR mags when you do that. Need to use AICS

So now the Magpul stock is off my list
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, and that was my plan, but it wont work with AR mags when you do that. Need to use AICS

View Quote
I didn't see you wanted to use AR mags... Personally I'd rather have the COAL of a MDT AICS mag but if you need to stay with AR mags I think Boyds has a few stocks that will work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn't see you wanted to use AR mags... Personally I'd rather have the COAL of a MDT AICS mag but if you need to stay with AR mags I think Boyds has a few stocks that will work.
View Quote
Thanks! I saw their At-One seems to be the one. I emailed them with some questions to verify and make sure I read it correctly

Now to pick which one?

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a Magpul for my Ranch before I read that the 223 guns have problems with AICS mags. Did a bit of searching on SnipersHide and see it’s known. My bad for not doing the research. I was hopeful when I saw Magpul released their 223 pattern AICS mag but I don’t think it will work either even though their totally form letter email response said it would
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Any suggestions for scope rings? Im putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-2 on it, and I cant remember how long its been since Ive bought rings.

Warne any good? Other suggestions that arent super high end since its not a high end rifle?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I used vortex rings on my Creedmoor w/ viper pst 6-24
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Installed the MCARBO trigger spring upgrade, $8 for a surprisingly decent trigger pull, about 2lbs iirc.

My RA Predator 6.5CM takes the Magpul style mags...shoots great.  3/4" moa 3 shot groups with several factory ammos.

3 shot group with HNDY 143gr ELDX was around .6" for at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a ranch 300blk sitting at my dealer waiting on other items. Gonna be a nice hunting/plinking rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ordered a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 AR mag rifle, and am looking into whats available for the rifle.

Am I missing a thread on them or shall we start one?

Putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it first thing, and need some rings or I may try using an Aero Ultralight mount I have sitting around
View Quote

Want feedback for the 5.56 ar mag rifle in the MDT stock, any feeding issues ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Greybeard:

Want feedback for the 5.56 ar mag rifle in the MDT stock, any feeding issues ?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
Ordered a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 AR mag rifle, and am looking into whats available for the rifle.

Am I missing a thread on them or shall we start one?

Putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it first thing, and need some rings or I may try using an Aero Ultralight mount I have sitting around 

Not sure what youre asking? I dont have the MDT stock
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve had mine for a few year I’ve added a larger bolt knob and added quick release sling points.  Reason for doing this is for ease of getting in and out of trucks when hunting and being able to get a better grip with gloves Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Whose bolt knob are you running?
Other than scopes, I’ve not done any other mods but a large knob would be handy.
I wanted a Boyd’s stock til I picked up a Ranch with one, beautiful wood but too heavy. Mine are featherweights and I like that.
If Magpul ever makes an AR mag version stock I’d go that route.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s a Glades Armory.  They have a bunch of options
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Here’s my 6.5 Grendel. Cut back and threaded. While it wears a magpul stock I also now have an anarchy outdoors bolt lever on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Not sure what youre asking? I dont have the MDT stock
View All Quotes
Ordered a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 AR mag rifle, and am looking into whats available for the rifle.

Am I missing a thread on them or shall we start one?

Putting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it first thing, and need some rings or I may try using an Aero Ultralight mount I have sitting around 

Not sure what youre asking? I dont have the MDT stock

Want to modify a ranch rifle with the MDT stock and use the AR mags, so anyone have any info?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I bought a Magpul for my Ranch before I read that the 223 guns have problems with AICS mags. Did a bit of searching on SnipersHide and see it’s known. My bad for not doing the research. I was hopeful when I saw Magpul released their 223 pattern AICS mag but I don’t think it will work either even though their totally form letter email response said it would
View Quote

Ruger makes a 223 aics mags for the rpr556

I had to trim the front lips back to the first mold line but they work just fine in my r700 with the magpul dbm

I'm sure the magpul aics mag will work well but they are shaped alot different than the full size mags so they are exact copies for a proper trainer rifle
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By duecemag:
Installed the MCARBO trigger spring upgrade, $8 for a surprisingly decent trigger pull, about 2lbs iirc.

My RA Predator 6.5CM takes the Magpul style mags...shoots great.  3/4" moa 3 shot groups with several factory ammos.

3 shot group with HNDY 143gr ELDX was around .6" for at 100 yards.
View Quote

Picked my ranch up and its nice. Trigger is terrible. Tried adjusting it per factory but it fell out before I was happy. I know it's not match grade but feel worse than my glock gen3 trigger.

Might try the mcarbo spring.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:

Ruger makes a 223 aics mags for the rpr556

I had to trim the front lips back to the first mold line but they work just fine in my r700 with the magpul dbm 

I'm sure the magpul aics mag will work well but they are shaped alot different than the full size mags so they are exact copies for a proper trainer rifle
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I bought a Magpul for my Ranch before I read that the 223 guns have problems with AICS mags. Did a bit of searching on SnipersHide and see it’s known. My bad for not doing the research. I was hopeful when I saw Magpul released their 223 pattern AICS mag but I don’t think it will work either even though their totally form letter email response said it would

Ruger makes a 223 aics mags for the rpr556

I had to trim the front lips back to the first mold line but they work just fine in my r700 with the magpul dbm 

I'm sure the magpul aics mag will work well but they are shaped alot different than the full size mags so they are exact copies for a proper trainer rifle

The 700 is a two lug bolt not 3 like the Ruger which is what I guess causes the problem. I wish I could play with a 223 RPR and see why it works but apparently these don't. I need to just suck it up and order mags but they're spendy and I don't want to get stuck with them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Here’s my 6.5 Grendel. Cut back and threaded. While it wears a magpul stock I also now have an anarchy outdoors bolt lever on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/9B77D264-B003-4A4D-8FB2-91762661B4F4_jpe-1395008.JPG
View Quote

I did not know they made a Grendel model!! That is very good news to me! How do you like it so far? What kind of accuracy are you getting? How is the Magpul stock, any flex?

More importantly, what magazines are you using? How reliable are they?

@DirtDivision
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

I did not know they made a Grendel model!! That is very good news to me! How do you like it so far? What kind of accuracy are you getting? How is the Magpul stock, any flex?

More importantly, what magazines are you using? How reliable are they? 

@DirtDivision
View Quote

@MDStroup since i posted that pic I Camo’d the shit out of it and wouldn’t you know it i gain an accuracy increase of  1/4 moa.........

I’m only kidding the gun shoots well i need to actually sit down and load develop it and try to see how accurate it is. I know for certain its 3/4 MOA with Hornady Black and that’s acceptable for me. Around 2-2.5 MOA with wolf steel case stuff.

No flex that I’ve found with the Magpul Stock.

Now the issue is AICS Mag. No one makes a dedicated AICS mag fora 6.5 Grendel that i have found, only adapters to retrofit and i am too cheap to do that as of yet. For now i load 2 at a time and single load through the port.

This rifle started out as a 22 inch barrel but i had it cut down to 16” to mimic the ballistic numbers i was gettting from my 16 inch gas gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#25]

mine is 300 black out. It shoots great and is my short range deer rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a 16" Grendel American Ranch.

Only mods so far are a linear compensator, trigger spring replaced, and some cut down AR mags to fit more flush. I'm looking at bolt handles and maybe a Boyds Spike Camp stock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Yep, and that was my plan, but it wont work with AR mags when you do that. Need to use AICS

So now the Magpul stock is off my list 
View Quote

Same. I have one in 762x39 and use mini-30 mags. Was disappointed to find out the Magpul stock wasn’t compatible.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Got the Boyd's At-One stock on this weekend.  It's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59227/IMG_2473_JPG-1438959.jpg

View Quote

Nice! How was the install?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was all lefty-loosey-righty-tighty.  Took a little bit of pushy-shovey, it's pretty tight.
It included some bedding goop that I might decide to use but I'm going to just shoot and carry it for now.
I'm now pretty sure my barrel is not completely straight.
There's room for the barrel to be free floating, but it touches on the left side at the end.  It did that on the original stock, and I blamed the original stock, but that might have been wrong.
The first shots after I got it together were 3 Hornady American gunners and they went into a 0.75" group, so it definitely didn't ruin the accuracy
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dose the stock fit the ar mag model?  I’ve have one for my savage 22 and really like it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dose the stock fit the ar mag model?  I’ve have one for my savage 22 and really like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, AR mag
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 2 of the 300blk ranch and one 5.56 ranch all take the AR mags. They are amazing and handy rifles from targets, to prairie dogs, deer, and pigs. With an Omega 9k the 300 blk shooting Barnes 110 TSX and using AR mags is the lightest and best handling suppressed hunting rifle I have ever used. My teenage kids do not want to hunt deer or pigs with any other rifles.

Other than cerakote to protect from rust my single best mod was dumping the first one I bought with rotary mag to buy the ones that use AR mags. Add a stock pack with 2 extra 10 round mags in the zipper pouch and they are ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I am so glad there are others with these rifles that are having good experiences with them. I have strongly been considering picking one up when I have the funds. My only concern is the Magpul Hunter stock seems very flexible in the forearm. Anyone with this stock know if the forearm can be stiffened up in anyway? I don't have one so I don't know how it is designed inside.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@MDStroup since i posted that pic I Camo’d the shit out of it and wouldn’t you know it i gain an accuracy increase of  1/4 moa.........

I’m only kidding the gun shoots well i need to actually sit down and load develop it and try to see how accurate it is. I know for certain its 3/4 MOA with Hornady Black and that’s acceptable for me. Around 2-2.5 MOA with wolf steel case stuff.

No flex that I’ve found with the Magpul Stock.

Now the issue is AICS Mag. No one makes a dedicated AICS mag fora 6.5 Grendel that i have found, only adapters to retrofit and i am too cheap to do that as of yet. For now i load 2 at a time and single load through the port.

This rifle started out as a 22 inch barrel but i had it cut down to 16” to mimic the ballistic numbers i was gettting from my 16 inch gas gun.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/B5ED7F71-FA8E-460B-9C7F-5E8A66DC3894_jpe-1404109.JPG
View Quote

Super cool.  I’ve toyed around the idea with one of these or a Howa in 6.5G for my boys first deer/elk gun.

How’s the reliability with ruger mags and the 6.5G?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#36]
The American 6.5G use AR mags.  They comes with a CPD brand mag but I have used ASC and E-Lander 6.5 AR mags without problems. Mine has been very reliable but it is a little stiff working the bolt on a full mag. Only issues I have had was when it was new the first outing  and I would be carefully working the bolt and a round would jump forward as it cleared the feedlips. If you don't keep the bolt moving and pushing the cartridge base it might not feed into the chamber and become jammed. Feeding is smoother with plastic mags, I have modified Pmags and Amend2 for my RAR 6.5G.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Sweet

Looks like these 10 rounds mags might be super reliable

Link

Amend2 poly magazines
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
very unhappy with factory trigger, worse than a Glock
installed the mcarbo spring and seems to be a bit better but still heavier than i want even after backing the screw out a couple threads.

i'll see what else is out there but for sure I can't shoot good groups with this thing and heavy-ass trigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I have Ruger American Predator in .308 with the below.

I just got one a few months ago.
I put it in a Hunter stock and added this to the end :)

https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/muzzle-devices/procomp/

Besides that I just a  Magpul Bipod and and Magpul MS1 padded sling and Blockhound Optics 6-24

https://www.blackhoundoptics.com/product/genesis-6-24x50-ffp-mil/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top