Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a plain edge.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Do serrated carry knives have an unfair bad rep?
View Quote
No, their bad rep is totally fair!    (for most everyday cutting tasks by mere mortals)
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of my Benchmades are partial serrated.

I like them.
View Quote
+1 that I like partially serrated blades. Very useful for EDC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the veff serrations CRKT does.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
They are too pricey for a disposable knife. Once dull, good luck with resharpening!

Cold Steel are wicked out of the box... but once wore down they are useless.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My pair of spyderco Atlantic salts still cut well with a serrated edge after being used heavily for the last 13-14 years and STILL cut heavy rope faster than fuck and have never been sharpened.

Spyderco's have a specific sharpener for their serrations.

I've seen people extol the virtues of straight edges for decades and have never seen anyone actually NEED a straight edge, on the flip side, in the Maritime industry I've seen people with straight edge knives have to have the day saved by people with serrated blades often.

eta- most people who carry knives would be better served with a box cutter anyways.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My pair of spyderco Atlantic salts still cut well with a serrated edge after being used heavily for the last 13-14 years and STILL cut heavy rope faster than fuck and have never been sharpened.

Spyderco's have a specific sharpener for their serrations.

I've seen people extol the virtues of straight edges for decades and have never seen anyone actually NEED a straight edge, on the flip side, in the Maritime industry I've seen people with straight edge knives have to have the day saved by people with serrated blades often.

eta- most people who carry knives would be better served with a box cutter anyways.
View Quote
Or better yet, select your tool for the job rather than just using whatever.

I never cut large ropes or things like that.

Plain edge sacrifices nothing to serrated in my use, with the advantage of easy edge maintenance.

If I needed serrations, I'd get a knife with them.  But I don't, and if you don't need them, serrations are a pita without a need for the pita.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife works at a plant that makes plastic sheeting and all the knives they use are plain edge.  And sharp as a razor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Plain edge for me. Just love keeping them razor sharp. My RAT 3 is partially serrated, I will be getting the appropriate sized rods to keep the serrations sharp.

One thing on you tube is Japanese chef knife (plain edge but very hard steel) with over 1000 chops straight of hemp rope.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Generally I'm not a fan of serrated edges, however, I did some planting to create a hedge of plants to section off a side of my house. I had 7 potted grasses and bushes in about two or three gallon sized plastic pots. After I dug the holes I started cutting those plastic pots with a knife I have that has half a straight edge and the back half is serrated. The cutting was fairly easily until I got to the top with the thicker plastic lip. It was slow going until I switched to the serrated edge part and it cut through that thick plastic like going through butter. I have a new found respect for serrated edges.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. For a knife used for industrial purposes, serrations are best. Time is money and I have to cut a lot of rubber and rope.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top