Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2020 10:19:57 PM EDT
Do new Barrett M82A1's 29 inch barrel have both chrome bore and chrome chamber?  I am getting one that just shipped out from the factory to the dealer but the dealer was unable to confirm if they have a chrome bore.  I was positive a month or two ago it said on the Barrett website that the new M82A1's have a chrome bore but now the website has been updated and it does not say.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking on Barret.net, the chrome bore & chamber treatment, as well as the nickel-teflon bolt & carrier, is expressly stated for the 107A1.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
At one point i think it was only the short 82’s. I’d just call them directly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless something has changed in the last year or two, the 50bmg long barrel m82 only has a chrome bore.
The 416 caliber M82 has both chrome bore and chamber, which is where most of the confusion arises.
The M82CQ has both chrome bore and chamber and a couple other minor changes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At one point i think it was only the short 82’s. I’d just call them directly.
View Quote
Actually I have called them several times and have been unable to get through to a tech.  Left voicemail and email but still have not heard back.  I did notice in the 2019 catalog on the website, it does say the M82A1 has chrome bore and chamber.  Also I have seen listings on Gunbroker that state as such.  
I guess I will find out Wednesday when the rifle is supposed to come in.  It looks like they are updating the website and the specifications section is not completed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
It's pretty standard to not have employees know this stuff unfortunately. I've actually had decent luck on Facebook as a lot of companies seem to put a lot of importance on it. Either way I wouldn't worry about it even though I understand wanting to know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's pretty standard to not have employees know this stuff unfortunately. I've actually had decent luck on Facebook as a lot of companies seem to put a lot of importance on it. Either way I wouldn't worry about it even though I understand wanting to know.
View Quote
A quick update.

Well I have picked up my new Barrett M82A1 and wow is it cool.  That being said I really can't tell for sure if the bore is chrome lined but I have not had much time to mess with it.  Looking down inside the muzzle break it does look like chrome lining on the end of the barrel.  I have always been partial to high quality chrome lined barrels in military type rifles and this was one of the features that set the M107s apart from the M82s.  Another reason I want chrome lining is I still have about 400-500 rounds of 88 Igman M33 that I may want to shoot someday and it's said to be mildly corrosive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just scrub it up good
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just scrub it up good
View Quote
Are you talking about the bore?  It has a light coating of oil throughout and some moderately heavy grease on the bolt but the bore looks pretty clean.  I don't even have a cleaning rod and attachments to clean it yet.  I got the black phosphate finish.  I started off wanting desert tan but I just don't like Cerakote so I went with phosphate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just scrub it up good
View Quote
Ah, I just figured out you were referencing shooting the Igman ammo.  I usually don't sweat firing corrosive ammo but Barrett seems to really frown on the activity.  Does not seem like it would be a big deal since there is no gas system or anything.  I probably will just sit on the Igman for now and keep it for long term.  I mostly plan on shooting the currently available lake city and IMI when I can get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
@GAU-8 im getting ready to order a M82A1, where did you get yours from and if you dont mind me asking, what was the price?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@GAU-8 im getting ready to order a M82A1, where did you get yours from and if you dont mind me asking, what was the price?
View Quote
The best prices I’ve seen were Grabagun and Osage.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry I did not see your post earlier.  I got mine from gunbuyer.com. $6600 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry I did not see your post earlier.  I got mine from gunbuyer.com. $6600 and free shipping.
View Quote
Thats a tad bit better than gunprime, Did gunbuyer get you for tax?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
No tax or any other fees. $6600 total.  They have been running back to back auctions on gunbroker starting at $6500 so I called them up and asked if they had another one so that is the price we settled on.  There were a couple other dealers that were very close but these guys were a little less and were very easy to work with.  Very happy with them and would buy again.  I was like you I wanted to get one with glass but in the end the package deal did not have the exact scope I wanted.  I really like the Vortex PST Gen 2 but they all had first focal plane reticles and I want a SFP.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE:

The current M82's have both chrome lined chamber and chrome lined bore.   The video on the Barrett  website for the M82A1 clearly indicates the bore is now chrome lined not just the chamber.   I think this is very important myself and was one of the reasons I held off until I knew I was getting the latest model.

Just thought I would update this thread in case anyone else is still wondering.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Now everyone will want to know when the cutoff is Glad you figured it out. I still don't think it's a huge deal but certainly almost no downside to it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top