Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2018 11:58:08 AM EDT
So I know most say use alkaline in nvg’s but what about lithium batteries or more accurately 123a that are commonly in laser units?

I know some say don’t leave batteries in but I’m finding it kind of annoying to take the battery out of my atpial everytime I’m done and putting it back in when I want to use it. Am I just getting this wrong and should I just leave it in?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
does exploding count as a leak?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Why do they explode?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought exploding is more of an issue if they are punctured?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I use lithium in my NVG & Thermal, I remove them every time.
I use lithium in my DBAL, I don't remove this at all (until it gets all blinky).

Not sure why, but that's my routine.

Eta: I replace my batteries in everything about every month or so given that batteries are cheap. It's a very inexpensive insurance policy to cycle them out regularly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had super cheap ones explode. In terms of quality 123As, I've had no issues. The same with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs. I won't put alkalines in any quality electronic I own.

I use my gear pretty regularly, but if it looks like it will be put away for awhile, weeks or more, I'll remove the batteries.

ETA: explode in cheap flashlights left in my truck. I've found De Oxit to be pretty effective at cleaning battery compartments, but why take that chance with an expensive device?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, I guess I will still keep taking them out. I always take them out of my NODs but the lasers was more the question I guess. Maybe Im just a little old school but we are only allowed alkaline in our anvis systems at work. That might have more to do with hazmat and low battery times but never really got a straight answer on that before. So I guess I carried that over to my personal set at not using lithium in mine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
They vent gasses constantly. Ever notice that funny smell when you open a lithium battery package or compartment?

I don't know if those gasses hurt anything, but they might long term.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Devices that run on lithium batteries have a battery management system (BMS) to control for over-current, over-voltage, and over-temperature. Shitty BMS let things run away, and you get fires, etc.

I have no experience with night vision devices, but do have experience in high energy lithium systems with BMS deployed to the field.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I know most say use alkaline in nvg’s ....
View Quote
Who is most?.... Everyone who is knowledgable and sells or uses them regularly says lithium all the way.

Alkalines are just asking for trouble. The only thing they’ve got going for them is that they are cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is when they vent.  Every time I’ve heard of it is when someone uses very mismatched cells is brand new and a drained cell.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who is most?.... Everyone who is knowledgable and sells or uses them regularly says lithium all the way.

Alkalines are just asking for trouble. The only thing they’ve got going for them is that they are cheap and plentiful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I know most say use alkaline in nvg’s ....

It’s in our SOP’s and per ASU the service center for all our systems also says alkaline for rotorwing operations. I’ve never been able to get a straight answer beyond it’s our SOP so don’t worry about it.

I can only conclude based on what I know that our systems were tested and numbers certified with alkaline batteries so if you switch to lithium then it effects that 50 hour operating time and more so effects the 30mins when you get red low batt light. Lithium could also effect hazmat protocols with rotorcraft operations.

I’ve just always used alkaline becuase it’s always been SOP. I’m just now starting to question that as more and more technology comes out. Flight complicates things sometimes that ground ops could give a crap about really.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s in our SOP’s and per ASU the service center for all our systems also says alkaline for rotorwing operations. I’ve never been able to get a straight answer beyond it’s our SOP so don’t worry about it.

I can only conclude based on what I know that our systems were tested and numbers certified with alkaline batteries so if you switch to lithium then it effects that 50 hour operating time and more so effects the 30mins when you get red low batt light. Lithium could also effect hazmat protocols with rotorcraft operations.

I’ve just always used alkaline becuase it’s always been SOP. I’m just now starting to question that as more and more technology comes out. Flight complicates things sometimes that ground ops could give a crap about really.
View Quote
I'd have to check the pubs again but I'm pretty sure that our O-lvl maint pub for the AN/AVS-9s also specified alkaline batteries.  Any changes aviation related take for ever to go though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why do they explode?
View Quote
Chemistry.... Lithium batteries are very energetic. Not quitw TNT but not far off... normally that energy release is slow and controlled, but if its all at once... boom...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had one China made Battery Station 123 cell vent on me and not explode in a light. When I opened the light, because I thought it was dead, I heard the sound of pressurized gas, like opening a plastic soda bottle, and the strongest lithium stank I have ever smelled came out. To this day, almost 10 years later, the light still works and I can give people the light to open and smell what a vented lithium smell is like and it overpowers them like they just wiffed smelling salts. From what I understand, the gas is not good for you either. Never had a US made 123 vent. Well a tiny trace wiff, but not where it pressurized the battery compartment.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How old are your pubs?  Hopefully not as old as the GI issued PVS-14 manuals.
View Quote
I got out in late 2016. The aviation manuals get updated fairly regularly and between major revisions we get a bunch of interim changes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it is worth pointing out that all lithium AAs or CR123s vent gasses constantly, and vent faster when in use.

When most people say "vent", they usually refer to the much more violent venting that occurs in a malfunctioning cell. But lithium batteries are always giving off gas byproducts. That's why they smell like death and toothpaste.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe I missed the answer to the OP question?

Which is less likely to leak? Alkaline or lithium batteries?

I leave a name brand lithium AA parked inside my aimpoint comp m4. Change it once a year or so just for the heck of it. Used to use a regular name brand alkaline until I read here somewhere that a lithium was less likely to cause the corrosion that an alkaline battery will when left in place and leaks.

So which is less likely to "leak"?

thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I leave a name brand lithium AA parked inside my aimpoint comp m4. Change it once a year or so just for the heck of it. Used to use a regular name brand alkaline until I read here somewhere that a lithium was less likely to cause the corrosion that an alkaline battery will when left in place and leaks.

thanks.
View Quote
You have the correct one in your AP. Lithium is less likely to leak. Plus longer shelf life, longer run time, lighter weight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah what I gather is lithium is safer and better but not fool proof so take it out if you can. I’m still leaving a battery in my Aimpoint’s, rmr’s, and specterDr but will take it out of my peq and NV.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I leave the batteries in my DBAL so my HD SBR is always ready to go. no time to fiddle with batteries when someone is kicking in my door.

NV IMO isn't really in the quick response category so no battery in it and its stored in a cool, dark, and dry place. If I'm getting NV out its a pre-planned event.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been leaving a Surefire CR123 in my FLIR Breach all the time, but I use it at least briefly almost every night.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am out of my lane a ways, but I think the news stories about exploding batteries are all rechargeable lithiums, which have different and less stable chemistry than lithium primaries.  If I am wrong, someone will be along shortly to correct me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am out of my lane a ways, but I think the news stories about exploding batteries are all rechargeable lithiums, which have different and less stable chemistry than lithium primaries.  If I am wrong, someone will be along shortly to correct me.
View Quote
They can all do it under the right over discharge condition. That being said AA lithiums are pretty stable when used with low draw devices like NV.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ya know (not talking trash), I have often over-looked this fact. While not a big issue with those running a single batt system, for those running batt packs it could be several ounces.  Good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.
You have the correct one in your AP. Lithium is less likely to leak. Plus longer shelf life, longer run time, lighter weight.
Ya know (not talking trash), I have often over-looked this fact. While not a big issue with those running a single batt system, for those running batt packs it could be several ounces.  Good point.
Vic, it seemed pretty clear that it wasn't a negatively toned post.

I know it doesn't make a huge weight difference, but I think that it's noticeable when head mounted. I definitely go as light as I can when it's attached to my head and when backpacking. Lithiums also provide better cold weather performance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I use lithium in my NVG & Thermal, I remove them every time.
I use lithium in my DBAL, I don't remove this at all (until it gets all blinky).

Not sure why, but that's my routine.

Eta: I replace my batteries in everything about every month or so given that batteries are cheap. It's a very inexpensive insurance policy to cycle them out regularly.
View Quote
I also leave DBAL batteries in and take PVS's out
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I have maintained dozens of game cams the last 20 years and lost many of them to alkaline outgassing and discomposition.

Since changing over exclusively to Engerizer Lithium ion AAs, some take eight or more of them, I have never lost a single game cam, and these are out doors in the rain, sun, humidity, cold, etc. exposed 24/7/365.

I never use alkaline batts in any of my NV/Thermal kits ever.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#33]
The lithium work much better in the cold, my trail cameras will not work in cold temperatures without them, the voltage drops too low.

As for removing them, I always do just because all of the post I have read about someone accidentally leaving their nods on and burning a spot on their tube.

Just a FYI, energizer will fix or replace your gear if their battery leaks.

Here is their site link
http://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd have to check the pubs again but I'm pretty sure that our O-lvl maint pub for the AN/AVS-9s also specified alkaline batteries.  Any changes aviation related take for ever to go though.
View Quote
USAF uses Alkaline for Rotor-wing, Lithium for ejection seat.  (and has for decades)

Fixed wing, non ejection seat is usually uses an adapter to run the rotor wing battery pack through the fixed wing mount but could use lithium in the other side if they wanted.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
USAF uses Alkaline for Rotor-wing, Lithium for ejection seat.  (and has for decades)

Fixed wing, non ejection seat is usually uses an adapter to run the rotor wing battery pack through the fixed wing mount but could use lithium in the other side if they wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m starting to see a theme that government and private operations with rotors use akaline, still can’t get a straight answer as to why other than I’m told that’s what it says.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm no expert on batteries, but about 10 years ago I mixed some Streamlight cr123's with some Chinese batteries in a TL3. I kept in on the coffee table for "bump in the night" use. Apartment, 2nd story.

I don't know how long the batteries were in the light, maybe a month. Picked up the flashlight one night, hit the button and it flickered on and off and started hissing and getting hot. I threw the MF'R outside on to the balcony and 45 seconds later it exploded. Sounded like a .410 going off.

Blew the tail cap off, threads were gone on the aluminum body.

Never use Chinese lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No power drain?  Old issue, but I know there is always some drain in most lasers with batts left in.
View Quote
I swear to God Surefire flashlights drain batteries when not in use..  or I just use the one in my truck and nightstand gun more than I realize..
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I swear to God Surefire flashlights drain batteries when not in use..  or I just use the one in my truck and nightstand gun more than I realize..
View Quote
I definitely haven't noticed any appreciable draining in Surefires that are inside. The ones I keep in vehicles I think do great too, but they certainly have a harder life being out in a hot vehicle every day during the summer and a freezing cold vehicle during the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top