Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 9:39:57 PM EDT
I know this isn't anything new, but with so much gear on the market, people often have no idea.
I first got on Esstac through @SKD_tactical with their shotgun cards... then came the little weird birds.

I have had a lot of gear over the past 15 years. Blackhawk, TAG, Eagle, TT, etc.
All of their products are great but I'm hooked on Esstac's KYWIs and pouches. Why?

For one reason, after getting used to open-top mag pouches from Multigun and other events/training, I didn't want to go back to bungies or Velcro/snap top covers If I didn't have to.

A second reason, KWYIs lock your full-mags in pouches so well that you can do cartwheels and odds are, they are staying snug.

Third, you can retrofit other crap pouches (or in the following video's case, carrier-built in pouches) with KYWIs.

Fourth, they are clean and well made. You don't need MOLLE on every single piece of gear... realizing this they give the option to order without it. Less pattern break up, less stuff to snag, etc.

Anyway, I was talking to some co-workers about their products and showed them how well loaded mags stay inside of open-top pouches using their KYWIs.
After doing this, I thought I should make a short video to share with yall.

@esstac
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been a taco lover for the last couple years but am now switching everything over to Esstac KYWI puches for rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Esstac pouches are amazing.  I switched out all of my bungee top ones.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I dumped my tacos for kiwis for some of the same reasons above

No webbing option for no snags
Open top faster
Plenty of retention
Modular AF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Love em!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I use KYWI on my plate carrier and on my battle belt.  Awesome pouches, metric asstons of retention.

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I always read about HSGI tacos and ATS belts, but bought all ATS pouches with their belt. Liked them well enough until I got my first kywi pouches at Cola Warrior West I.

Now I only use kywis and even wear my Esstac range belt more than my ATS battle belt when at the range. Very comfortable and the pouches have amazing retention! Now to just replace my US Palm plate carrier with an Esstac Daeodon!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used tacos, TT's, Tag, and many others.  In my opinion, the KYWI's are the best mag pouches on the market.

If you shoot M&P's, HK's, CZ's, or any other pistols with elongated base plates, you need the GAP series pistol pouches.  The extra room between the mags is seems trivial, but it is amazing.

Esstac also makes belt loops that can attach any molle pouch to a 1.75 or 2 inch belt.

All of their products are extremely high quality, and made in the U.S, with great customer service backing them up
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
KYWI pouches are amazing, they lock in solid, but apply some force by pulling and they glide right out. I'm very impressed and pleased with mine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I know the strange flightless birds.

Waiting on in my first Daeodon right now.  The belt is first rate, and the pouches hold even ridiculously long mags securely, yet easily pulled when it's time to reload.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Esstac needs to up their game and make the kywi's and belts out of softer material, so my wife will let me wear my war belt to bed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  That is the best mag carrier available.  I have some chest rigs from Max Velocity Tactical with those Kydex inserts and an ESSTAC panel on my PC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have TACOs on my battle belt since sometimes my trashcan gun gets some use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Esstac wasn't on my radar until I won a couple of pouches at Colawarrior.  Now I'm in the process of converting everything to Esstac.  Their stuff just plain works and the quality is fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Same here, I sold off all my Tacos for the KYWIs...IIRC, they were one of the first companies to popularize the kydex insert, now we see many folks utilizing something similar, like Haley Strategic's MP2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Taco has its place but I prefer KYWI as well.

There was a time when I had to carry ammo for two rifles on certain missions. The Tacos were great because they allowed me to swap between M39 (M14) and M4 magazines without the need to swap pouches.

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using KYWI's for years.  I'm happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone used the 2 pistol per rifle magazine pouches? And how do they work holding multitools/ small flashlights/ flash bangs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a pair of pistol KYWIs on my HSGI belt. Love 'em.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Can the KYWI inserts be used on standard mag pouches?  I have a Tactical Tailor triple mag shingle and I'm wondering if the inserts would work, or if they need velcro inside the mag pouch to work properly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can the KYWI inserts be used on standard mag pouches?  I have a Tactical Tailor triple mag shingle and I'm wondering if the inserts would work, or if they need velcro inside the mag pouch to work properly.
View Quote
Yes, the plate carrier in the video has no internal Velcro. Adding some with even an adhesive backing could only help though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#21]
The adhesive used to secure the Velcro to the kydex melts in extreme heat resulting in magazines falling through the bottom of the pouches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The adhesive used to secure the Velcro to the kydex melts in extreme heat resulting in magazines falling through the bottom of the pouches.
View Quote
"Extreme heat"

Have I just been blasted with a flame thrower, or have I spent too long standing in the mid-day sun?

Legitimately curious.  I'm an esstac junkie, and I've had no issues thus far.

Edit for clarity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Extreme heat"

Have I just been blasted with a flame thrower, or have I spent too long standing in the mid-day sun?

Edit for clarity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Extreme heat"

Edit for clarity.
@wag_bag I'm also curious. I know you said that in one of my threads but how many have you seen or heard about failing?  Granted I'll never see the heat of Iraq or Afghanistan but wondering if it was a bad few or collective issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Iraq. Even things kept inside have issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Iraq. Even things kept inside have issues.
View Quote
I can't speak for Iraq but I never had problems with mine during AFG summers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been deploying with kywis since about 2009, I really like them.  I have about 40 cells in various configs mounted on a lot of different armor, vests, and bags.

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:44:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I got nothing, but here is a cute "Jif"

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can't speak for Iraq but I never had problems with mine during AFG summers.
View Quote
I didn't find out about them until after I was done in Iraq but on the second AFG trip now...same KYWI's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top