Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2019 8:08:25 PM EDT
I've bought a bunch of rifles over the years...kept what I liked and sold what I didn't. Over the years I have never owned an AUG.  I like the STG77 as it's more inline with the original preban AUGs.  I get they have some downfalls, as any rifle will.  Are there any specific upgrades, improvements, or products I should pick up if I decide to get one?  I see mags aren't too terribly expensive.  What sort of average accuracy with high quality/match ammo can be expected?  High breakage parts (I recall the MSAR STG-556's broke bolt collars a lot).  Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always wanted one...but opted for a Tavor...in the back of my mind there is still a little AUG voice telling me to get one.

However with my Tavor I have a full barreled action as a spare...and its fully done to my liking...no real need for an AUG at this point for me.

As far as accuracy...I've seen reports of all kinds from an AUG...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
May I cast my vote for Travor as well.

If you really want the AUG tho, be sure to steer away from the older generations, some are squeaky wheels that never stop squeaking.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve shot a Tavor and AUG at our local rifle match. Either rifle will work great, and in my experience are about 2MOA rifles.

If you’re left handed the Tavor would be the way to go. I’d also choose it hands down if a 9mmP kit is important to you. The Tavor is cleverly designed to be simpler than an AK. That simplicity comes at the cost of flexibility. With the AUG you can easily change barrels or the ejection side, along with the ability to adjust the gas regulator.

Which is better depends on what you value more, flexibility or simplicity.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tavor just doesn’t do it for me. Honestly I don’t “need” another rifle. But I think it would be fun to tinker with after I pick up an MP5 clone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tavor, it's my shtf rifle. Still, I want an AUG. Feinstein wants to ban it, and they still look space age in 2019.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my STG77, best rifle I have ever owned, I suppressed mine and made a few modifications  but stock version is still an excellent rifle
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a hard sell on the AUG.  It is now my favorite rifle bar none and I am a pretty solid M16/AR-15 fan...and I always will be.

That being said, packing a 20 inch that it one have of an inch shorter than a CAR-15 with the stock collapsed is pretty darn sweet.

Once you get used to the manual of arms, operating the gun quickly becomes second nature.  The greatest thing about an AUG for me besides everything else, is that cleaning is such a damn breeze.  The gas piston and gas block are cleaned almost exactly like an M-14 but without that bothersome well in the piston.  The rest of the gun just wipes down with ease.

Accuracy is on par with any standard AR and I akin the handling and reliability to a Glock.

A lot of folks don't like the trigger but my "fix" sure seems to have worked well.  I hose the trigger pack in an evaporative, Teflon carrying, quick dry lube and the shoot the snot out of it.  I also hose the inside of the stock with it, too.  I have done that exactly once.  I am over a thousand rounds in mine now and it runs like a sewing machine.

I love my AUG!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like my recent production AUG.  It just seems to come up naturally, like a good shotgun.  Accurate and dependable as far as I can determine.  The 9mm version is a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My vote is for the AUG...tried a couple of Tavors and the cheek weld sucked ass, I couldn't get a decent cheek weld no matter how hard I tried.

Pic's of my AUG and now sold Tavors -

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
hate the trigger in mine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my AUG, even the trigger doesn't bother me.  Factory 3x optic.  Neither have been out much, so it's not really a worthwhile data point, but I seem to shoot a little bit better with it than the AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hate the trigger in mine.
View Quote
I did swap triggers in both the AUG and Tavor. AUG has the 2020 seat, Tavor the Shooting Sight hammer pack.

Much better than stock.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have A3 CQC. And still loving it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Appreciate the feedback. I have some KAC goodies to buy shortly but will put the AUG next on the list after that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, you absolutely want an AUG. It is something that you have to use and spend time with to appreciate because it is obviously pretty different.

One of my proudest achievements as a coach was teaching a one armed veteran to run an AUG. He was getting ready to give up on rifles because of the difficulty of holding one up for any length of time up and manipulating it one handed. We taught him to run the charging handle on the belt like you would with the rear sight of a pistol slide. He used 40rd mags exclusively (frequently having one in the gun, one in his back pocket, and one in a thigh pocket for 120rds). For reloads he would let the gun hang cross body on the sling then remove the spent mag then insert the fresh mag, then charge the action off the belt (now days you could use the bolt release on the A3 and M1 I suppose). It's not fast but quite as slow as it sounds either and 40rd mags help too.  He had the fore grip replaced with a rail and put a grip-pod on it (not the best bipod perhaps, but maybe the best for a one armed guy). To use the grip pod he simply let it hang on the sling activated the grip pod then went prone.

I personally prefer the A3 over the M1 but this is a minor thing.

I would recommend getting some accessories (suppressor gas plug, bayonet lug, factory spares kit, etc.)and wait to buy the rifle for just a few months to see if Steyr offers the rifles complete with the newly introduced 1/2x28 threaded barrels. I would also recommend going with the NATO model. Additionally I would recommend the neu trigger and or the 2020 precision sear. I'm not so sure about recommend the trigger tamer shall we say.

They are truly awesome. Very clean and low maintenance too.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The AUG is fantastic.

- Best QC barrels of any firearm, to include LMGs.
- Very compact. 27” with 16” barrel, stows to 22” with the barrel removed.
- Reliable and durable. It is a very proven vetted design. Very few parts wear or break. It has been vetted in LE and mil use, US customs being one of the biggest users.
- Widespread parts availability. While not necessary, parts are widely available and have been since the late 80s. Pricey, but available. This includes spare barrels.
- Suppressor gas valve is now available, making it the best bullpup option for suppressed use.
- AUG and AR mag stock options.
- Myriad integral optic and optic rail options with both factory and aftermarket support.
- Ability to use a transferable registered fullauto sear. Not for everyone, but for those that can....

The downsides:
- The trigger is less than ideal by totally serviceable with options to improve and Geissele willing we shall see options in the future.
- Less than ideal railed fore end options, but again this can be overcome.

I’m a big fan of non-AR 5.56 rifles - AUG, SIG 551/553, FNC, SCAR. The AUG is among my favorite rifles. One of its biggest attributes is its compact size. It’s the same oal as an 11.5” AR with the stock collapsed. Remove the barrel and it’s 22” and fits in a small backpack or large courier bag. And with the barrel removed, you’re not carrying a concealed rifle because it’s disassembled. It’s a great trunk monkey.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Get both?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I got to shoot the SAR, X-95, and the AUG. Chose to pick up an AUG after all of that, and haven't regretted it in the slightest. Love the balance, the magazines, the handling, and so on and so forth. Just love the damn thing.

Waiting for a Manticore Talon mount to really round it out before it's as close to perfect as I can get it this side of the NFA.

Beyond a 20/20 sear, there really isn't much it needs, especially if you want the STG77 model.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
The question isn't whether you want "an" AUG, the question is how many AUGs do you want?

I'm a big fan of the A2s, with the A3 M1 with the 3X optic my current favorite, though as someone else posted above the 9mm is more fun than one would ever believe.  I do wish Steyr would offer the "skinny scope" housing with the 3X optic though - I could live without the railed monstrosity that the A3 M1 brings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The question isn't whether you want "an" AUG, the question is how many AUGs do you want?
View Quote
All of them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the A2s, with the A3 M1 with the 3X optic my current favorite, though as someone else posted above the 9mm is more fun than one would ever believe.  I do wish Steyr would offer the "skinny scope" housing with the 3X optic though - I could live without the railed monstrosity that the A3 M1 brings.
View Quote
I sold the scope on mine.   I hated it.  It's huge, heavy, and the reticle blocked the damn target.  I put an Aimpoint T2 on it and am very happy with the set up now.

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My friend has the Tavor and I had an AUG A3...I like the AUG.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Tavor and AUGA3.  I'm not sure which I'd rather have, so I would recommend getting both.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Well...it looks like I will be joining the AUG type rifle family...hopefully my Tavor won't get too jelly...
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#25]
AUG > Tavor
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Only experience I have with one is holding one while in Kuwait. I recall it was heavier than my M16A2. But I have always liked them and would like to have one. Not really feeling the Tavor...just never has done it for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I've owned a couple of bullpups including an FS2000 and an AUG A2.

I like the AUG. It would be nice if it was a pound lighter and the trigger didn't suck so bad.

The 20/20 sear fixes the trigger mostly. Cant do much about the weight.

Good rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Do any of the improved sears work with select-fire AUGs (without rendering them semi-auto only)?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
no clue on that one

this is generally what they look like. the commercial version i have seen only has 2 settings instead of the 3 on this one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1257211
View Quote
Thanks man, but those settings only affect hammer tension/strength.

It'd be the travel distance in the sear, and whether it cams the disconnector that determine that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do any of the improved sears work with select-fire AUGs (without rendering them semi-auto only)?
View Quote
They do not. Part of the improvement that the after market sears offer is a reduction in trigger travel. The way they do that is by removing the extra travel that is associated with and necessary for the 2 stage full auto progressive trigger. That said they really are phenomenal for the semi auto application and make a huge difference. They are also compatible with the neu trigger.

The best option I'm aware of for improving a full auto trigger is the Neu trigger which is essentially a metal slip cover plate for the engagement surfaces so that it is smoother. In a semi -auto the neu trigger and trigger tamer can be combined but I do not know if the rigger tamer is compatible or safe with the full auto trigger. The neu trigger has very consistent and very positive reviews.

There is also the ultra rare 3 position safety for the full autos where the middle position is semi only as it block the trigger from going all the way back into full auto. There is also the equally rare trigger that has a detent on the bottom that performs a similar function but could  theorretically be applied to a semi-auto as a sort of over travel stop.

All of this comes from my own experience owning multiple AUGs in both semi and full and extensive conversations with 2020 preciison, rat worx, and PJ (the God of all things AUG).

None the less, if I mis-remembered something, maleante or someone else can feel free to correct me.
Tsh77769
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I went AUG, and think it's a very cool gun.  Be aware:
-It's heavy; heavier than you might think it should be
-It's about a 2(+) MOA gun
-The trigger is... not the best

Aside from that, it's a very cool and freakishly reliable gun, that's abuse prone, and very compact.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
How much do AUGs run now? If I remember right, the STANAG mag version doesn't offer last round bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How much do AUGs run now? If I remember right, the STANAG mag version doesn't offer last round bolt hold open.
View Quote
It doesn't have a bolt release it has a last round hold open though so you pop in a new mag and then draw the charging handle far enough to disengage the bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Get an AUG.

Shit, I have an AUG and I want another AUG.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Had an X95, sold it.

Made a deal for an Aug A3 this week
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get an AUG.
Shit, I have an AUG and I want another AUG.
View Quote
That's what I did.

Attachment Attached File

You want an AUG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top