Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2018 5:01:08 PM EDT
So I found local seller with a used coti and lwts for pretty much half of new price and I'm thinking about one or the other.

At present I have a helmet setup with a 14 and ir patrol on Wilcox bridge. Heavy but effective. NV clip on for long distance shooting. Though the patrol supports it I haven't used it as a weapon sight. I've really grown to like riding around with thermal and NV. It lasers for shooting because I like the speed and I can normally get plenty close.

The coti I know isn't in the same league as the patrol but it could let me go back to a lighter setup and still be able to see hogs and deer out to 300 or so? I've never seen anyone address how the coti works with it lasers. Does the dot blend into the thermal image or is it still easily visible?

The lwts would open up some new capabilities for me. A true clip on with good stand-alone performance and a truly rugged unit. I'd probably run it stand-alone, or in front of a razor or mk6 1-6 or a 2.5-10 nxs compact. Seems like it will give up a little image sharpness to the ir patrol.

Open to any and all input.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I owned an LWTS for right at four years, they are incredible thermal scopes.  It will ruin other thermals for you.  I wouldn't spend the $$ unless you actually get to use it for hunting frequently enough to justify it.  I sold mine when I moved out of hog country.  Now my night activities include steel plates and the occasional varmint, a thermal clip-on is just not the most cost effective tool for that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm weighing that. Work has kept me busy this year but I can walk out the back door, hop on the 4 wheeler and be on hogs in 5 minutes.

My style is more run and gun though I guess. Spot them with the ir patrol and then move in on foot or sometimes on the 4 wheeler as fast as possible to cut off their desired exit route. I've always used an ir laser because of the <125yds typical distance and it's just faster to get more from a large group. I usually only stay back and take a shot with the NV clip on if it's a loner or it's muddy.

There have been times though with close and far shots where I could see them in the patrol but couldn't well enough to shoot with nv.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If I could run outside and be on hogs in 5 min, I would've never sold my LWTS.  Not kidding I was shooting at field mice w/ it at night, it is extraordinarily sensitive.  Suppressed Tavor w/ 1-6 + LWTS is compact and nasty, but heavy.  The next thermal I buy will be pocket-sized though. With how commercially available thermal has progressed so wildly over the past ~5 years, I figure it won't be long before something like the SkeetIR or better is available to us at a reasonable price.  For what I use it for now, that makes more sense than a larger unit.  A lot has changed since owning my first thermal weapon sight, the 4 lb TV-sized AN/PAS-19.  There were some super cheap FLIR T50s available a couple months ago, that would've been great for what you are describing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a coti and an or patrol. The coti does not have the detection range of the patrol. It is definitely short range. I use mostly in wooded area and the farthest I have been able to test it out to was about 175 yards on deer size targets. The patrol will dectect same size objects under cover much further. The coti is great for stalking, but not sure how accurately it would be with a laser. There is a slight offset so I would prefer a scope for precise shot placement. That being said, I would not go out with out it. If I only could have one thermal a dedicated would be my choice, but coti makes a great addition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
COTI just doesn’t have the range.

If it were me I’d get a LWTS b4 a COTI
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm weighing that. Work has kept me busy this year but I can walk out the back door, hop on the 4 wheeler and be on hogs in 5 minutes.

My style is more run and gun though I guess. Spot them with the ir patrol and then move in on foot or sometimes on the 4 wheeler as fast as possible to cut off their desired exit route. I've always used an ir laser because of the <125yds typical distance and it's just faster to get more from a large group. I usually only stay back and take a shot with the NV clip on if it's a loner or it's muddy.

There have been times though with close and far shots where I could see them in the patrol but couldn't well enough to shoot with nv.
View Quote
Use it in front of a 3x ACOG or LPVO. You can run and gun with that just fine.

I’ve stalked up on sounders with a 3x thermal and it’s perfect (IMHO) for that type of hunting.

Get the clip on. Even if you hate it, you can get your $$ back easily.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Without a doubt get the LWTS.

It is a great stand alone sight AND clip-on.

It is one of the best thermals on the market today and if you can get your hands on one do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Without a doubt get the LWTS.

It is a great stand alone sight AND clip-on.

It is one of the best thermals on the market today and if you can get your hands on one do it.
View Quote
He's right, it's a great stand alone optic too unless you want/need optical magnification.  Very, very clear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hit me with the COTI link/sauce?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I could run outside and be on hogs in 5 min, I would've never sold my LWTS.  Not kidding I was shooting at field mice w/ it at night, it is extraordinarily sensitive.  Suppressed Tavor w/ 1-6 + LWTS is compact and nasty, but heavy.  The next thermal I buy will be pocket-sized though. With how commercially available thermal has progressed so wildly over the past ~5 years, I figure it won't be long before something like the SkeetIR or better is available to us at a reasonable price.  For what I use it for now, that makes more sense than a larger unit.  A lot has changed since owning my first thermal weapon sight, the 4 lb TV-sized AN/PAS-19.  There were some super cheap FLIR T50s available a couple months ago, that would've been great for what you are describing.
View Quote
Don't forget that BAE sold the Oasys line to Trijicon so we will probably see skeets/utms and stuff next year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't forget that BAE sold the Oasys line to Trijicon so we will probably see skeets/utms and stuff next year.
View Quote
Oh trust me I have not forgotten.  I am counting on that very thing.  This is the first time in 10+ years that I am w/o thermal, but at the same time I am currently w/o a true need for it as well.  I have cash in hand for the next one, but I will only be buying something that checks all the boxes, including being pocket-sized.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m also very curious to see what Trijicon does with the Oasys line up. I’ve been running a Coti it’s a cool device for 150 yards and under. That said it wouldn’t be my first choice for a single thermal owner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If you already have an IR patrol I'd get an LWTS. The image of the coti doesn't compare. Sure it's a little smaller but if your use is detection then you will be let down compared to what you're used to.

The LWTS will basically expand what you already have but onto a weapon. I would be careful buying used though, there's a lot of stolen units on the market and if it's the one I'm thinking about then I'd bet it is too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top