Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 9:33:54 AM EDT
I’m looking to set up a low profile, minimalist chest rig that can easily swap between AR 30 rounders and AK 30 rounders.

I’m strongly considering HSGI taco Mag pouches so I can have one setup useable with either mag.

Anyone face experience with AK mags in the Tacos?  From the pictures I see it looks like between 1/3 to 1/2 if an AK Mag fits in the taco, sndvI don’t know if this will be secure.  I have no experience with the HSGI taco, do thought I’d ask here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they work.  They feel more top heavy than an AR or 7.62 magazine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, they'll work, but they do better with 5.45 as opposed to 7.62. Personally, I have the Crye mag pouches on my AVS and they fit 5.56, 5.45 and my SCAR H's mags as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, they'll work, but they do better with 5.45 as opposed to 7.62. Personally, I have the Crye mag pouches on my AVS and they fit 5.56, 5.45 and my SCAR H's mags as well.
View Quote
Is there a better option for 7.63x39 that will also work with AR mags?  I’m not married to HSGI, they just seem to be fairly popular as a “universal” mag carrier?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
When I still had an AK they worked just fine with AK mags.  I did switch to using nothing but 20 round mags because they were shorter and less bulky than carrying the larger 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got Tacos on my Pig plate carrier and using AK 20 rounders both steel and Magpul seems to work nice dropping in both weight and bulk.
I like that I can swap between 7.62x51mm mags, AK 7.62 and 5.45, and 5.56mm/300Blk all using the same Tacos.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is there a better option for 7.63x39 that will also work with AR mags?  I’m not married to HSGI, they just seem to be fairly popular as a “universal” mag carrier?
View Quote
Try the G-Code Scorpions. I know a lot of people that like those too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I usw G-Code scorpions with AK mags and I Love them!
Once adjusted they fit very well. Fast drawing and also easy inserting.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
They work well
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup that's what I use on my PC
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I usw G-Code scorpions with AK mags and I Love them!
Once adjusted they fit very well. Fast drawing and also easy inserting.
Cheers!
View Quote
Had serious problems with the HSGI taco pouch. Surprising we don't hear more about this.

The shock cord and side plate expanding with that open space really contribute to the problem.

Mags and rounds will snag and shift during quick reloads from various positions.

User should be able to draw the mag from any position so it can't be covered up as a training issue,

Hope to try the G-Code scorpions, but they seem built similar, with expanding shock cord and side plate that may pose the same snag hazard.

edited to add links below

HSGI TACO Pouch Problem with AK Mags

The "updated" design after that video was made, still did not solve the serious issues I had. I would not bet my life with the HSGI.

I have not had any of these, but It looks like the G-code Scorpion has a similar HSGI expanding shock cord with side plate, see that in video time below. So probably will be passing on them, since I'm now hesitant to try a set. I don't like this design type that may snag and cause serious issues.

similar HSGI expanding shock cord with side plate

I don't want anything that could potentially snag and strip/shift rounds in the mag,

Don't make the mistake I did, before buying several of anything based on positive online reviews. Maybe buy only one to test and see if it meets your needs in style of use. If it works for you, good luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the subgun mag taco and it works.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That's what I run on my battle belt for my 104FR. I've run them in a few classes and never had any issues with them.

I've also run the Blue Force Gear Speed 10 carriers. And liked them as well. Just harder to insert with the elastic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Fully loaded 30rder 7.62 AK mags are heavy...and top heavy out of a taco...
I conversed with someone on the akfiles about tacos...he recommended emdom..I've got some..
Honestly I don't train enough/practice etc...
I have emdom and tacos...
The emdoms are on a chest rig I don't train with enough...
The tacos on my belt setup I use all the time.

Most people don't....train/shoot/care enough or take a good hard look at some things.
You have to compromise some.

Speed kills.
being able to run/Sprint to cover etc..
Consider this stuff..

This gets down to why the Army/Guvment and other countries...I.E. Russia adopted a smaller lighter cartridge...
Hello 5.56...5.45...VS 7.62...

Also I believe there are new tacos with a flap on top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top