Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2018 5:26:34 PM EDT
I'm looking for clarification on how to book a completed lower receiver that has a pistol tube installed with the intention of becoming a pistol but that does not have any accompanying upper included or attached.

Does this get registered in the books as a receiver/other or as a pistol?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information as to how this should be booked as because technically speaking since it has no upper ever mated to it's not really a rifle nor a pistol and is just an other.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Other
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If the idea is to make it a pistol why would t you register it as a pistol? Especially if your gonna put together a upper shorter then 16", don't think I'd want a short barreled upper laying around without a sbr stamp or a pistol lower. Anyway I just bought a lower with the intent to make a pistol and it got registered as a pistol. Rifle lowers go as other.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the idea is to make it a pistol why would t you register it as a pistol? Especially if your gonna put together a upper shorter then 16", don't think I'd want a short barreled upper laying around without a sbr stamp or a pistol lower. Anyway I just bought a lower with the intent to make a pistol and it got registered as a pistol. Rifle lowers go as other.
View Quote
Because I am not manufacturing the pistol.   Customer would be so i have no control if he decides to make it a rifle, pistol, or a firearm.   It leaves my books as something and I dont want to get that log incorrect.   Logging it as a pistol also potentially means filing multiple sales reporting when a customer buys more than one which is where I am at and i don’t want to file something on something that i logged incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for clarification on how to book a completed lower receiver that has a pistol tube installed with the intention of becoming a pistol but that does not have any accompanying upper included or attached.

Does this get registered in the books as a receiver/other or as a pistol?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information as to how this should be booked as because technically speaking since it has no upper ever mated to it's not really a rifle nor a pistol and is just an other.
View Quote
I see your point....

I was looking at AR-9 receivers and the options were Stripped, Pistol and Rifle...  The only difference in Pistol and Rifle was the Pistol had a Pistol Tube and the Rifle had a Tube with Buttstock on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Other. You list what it is. Not what it could be someday.
Unless you are in a commie state, there is no such thing as "registration".
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Other. You list what it is. Not what it could be someday.
Unless you are in a commie state, there is no such thing as "registration".
View Quote
Thats what I thought but a installed tube threw me off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
AD book "receiver"
4473 page 2 , "other"
4473 page 3, "receiver"
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It is an "other", it is not complete in any manner possible right now so it is an "other"
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Read the instructions to Questions 16 & 27 on the Form 4473.
Those instructions answer almost every question a dealer would have about recording a firearm in his books or on the 4473.

Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AD book "receiver"
4473 page 2 , "other"
4473 page 3, "receiver"
View Quote
This.

No difference if it was received with no tube, a carbine tube, or a stock.

Assuming it was received new, any of those could be assembled as a pistol or a rifle.

It's not a pistol until it has a barrel. It isn't a rifle until it has a barrel and a shoulder stock at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those instructions answer almost every question a dealer would have about recording a firearm in his books or on the 4473.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-It6MQolu7cQ/VowVAkHgUGI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/PyypGvTcy3A/s1600/InstructionsBlog%25231.jpg

View Quote
Doesn't mention the presence of a tube which is specific to the laws of being a pistol or the definition of a rifle.  This is why I asked here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doesn't mention the presence of a tube which is specific to the laws of being a pistol or the definition of a rifle.  This is why I asked here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-It6MQolu7cQ/VowVAkHgUGI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/PyypGvTcy3A/s1600/InstructionsBlog%25231.jpg

Of course it doesn't, so according to the 4473 instructions what is it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can have tube and horror of horrors a shoulder stock....it's still an "Other Firearm" As long as it doesn't have a barrel it doesn't meet the definition of rifle, shotgun or handgun.

Have you read any of CFR478?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top