Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2020 7:33:46 AM EDT
So I just completed a move from WA to SC.  I filed (5) 5320.20's for my NFA items and only received 4 back in time for my move.  Not an issue since this particular form only had silencers on it and it was not necessary to complete my move...

I finally received my form back disapproved based on duplicate serial numbers from the same "MFG".  These are both form 1 suppressors; approved, made, and engraved by my trust over 5 years ago and carrying different model designations.

Is this examiner correct?  How do I fix this on suppressors already approved and made?  

I am tempted to just submit separate 5320.20's at different times and split up the form 1 cans. I picked up 2 new cans from the SiCo BOGO deal in the weeks right before my move, so I could just submit with those.  This time with the move dates correct for those with a better eye than my examiner.

I plan on calling them next week if I can get out of work early enough but thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any additional advice.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought suppressors didn't need the form anyway?

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought suppressors didn't need the form anyway?

View Quote

Not required for suppressors, that is correct.  But for a permanent move, they were "recommended".  

Since I already had to file for other NFA items I did so anyway... I honestly did so mostly because I wanted something to hand any overly excited highway patrolman who pulled my over driving across the country with a trunk full of NFA items and enough ammo to squat my car and make my look like a drug runner.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Don’t do anything you don’t have to and don’t worry about?

If you have stamps for each you’re good to go if anything comes up
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Manufacturers are not allowed to duplicate serial numbers,  even with different firearm models. But you are not a manufacturer, you are a maker. I don't think the same rules apply. If you're worried about it, I would contact them to clear it up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
@mjmjr1312

Any update?

I am curious as to how how ATF resolves this dilemma.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@mjmjr1312

Any update?

I am curious as to how how ATF resolves this dilemma.
View Quote

Not yet, I am going to call the examiner but have been working some long hours and haven’t made it home while they are still open.

-Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#8]
So I just completed a move from WA to SC.

So how's that Boeing 'transfer' going?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You have no obligation to file a form 20 for silencers. Don't waste your time.
Your approved from 1's, for said silencers, asserts that you'll notify them of any change to your address.
If you really want to contact them, just send a letter (or email) stating your address has changed. That's it. No further effort needed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I just completed a move from WA to SC.  I filed (5) 5320.20's for my NFA items and only received 4 back in time for my move.  Not an issue since this particular form only had silencers on it and it was not necessary to complete my move...

I finally received my form back disapproved based on duplicate serial numbers from the same "MFG".  These are both form 1 suppressors; approved, made, and engraved by my trust over 5 years ago and carrying different model designations.

Is this examiner correct?  How do I fix this on suppressors already approved and made?  

I am tempted to just submit separate 5320.20's at different times and split up the form 1 cans. I picked up 2 new cans from the SiCo BOGO deal in the weeks right before my move, so I could just submit with those.  This time with the move dates correct for those with a better eye than my examiner.

I plan on calling them next week if I can get out of work early enough but thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any additional advice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77352/IMG_3915__1_-1588438.jpg

-Mike
View Quote

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;

Yeah, you phucked up, and ATF knows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top