Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2018 12:00:19 AM EDT
Has anyone seen or have a resource on an optical counter for a 650 press?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I obtained a surplus Veeder-Root mechanical counter and set it up so that its actuating lever gets moved as needed every time I pull the handle on my 650.  It's pretty easy to figure out a suitable spot.

I don't know if anybody's making a specific aftermarket counter setup for a press but I think it'd be a good product to market.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Dillon Press monitor is a nice tool.

Link
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Just curious why you need a optical counter?

The mechanical counters are pretty simple and cheap.

I mounted a cheap mechanical one near the base of the ram.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious why you need a optical counter?

The mechanical counters are pretty simple and cheap.

I mounted a cheap mechanical one near the base of the ram.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427842/19D9848F-F92E-49B4-A78F-74A4576A8C1A_jpeg-787652.JPG
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I count rounds by how many primers I use.  They come in flats of 100, so it isn't that hard.

Just loaded 400.  Gonna do 400 more tonight.

I will keep my eye open for a mechanical counter on scrap equipment.  Now I feel I must add more doo-dads to my press.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a lot of the mechanical ones on eBay specifically for the 650 cheap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I count rounds by how many primers I use.  They come in flats of 100, so it isn't that hard.

Just loaded 400.  Gonna do 400 more tonight.

I will keep my eye open for a mechanical counter on scrap equipment.  Now I feel I must add more doo-dads to my press.
View Quote
This is what I do

I just keep track of the empty primer boxes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I too use the empty primer box method, but when I’m processing rifle brass the mechanical counter is helpful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You can use bullet boxes, primer sleeves, volume or weight. I briefly considered buying a counter decades ago, deciding that it wasn't needed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
It is nice to have a counter when processing brass.  I put one on the NO side of the limit switch for the case feed that is wired to a HV pulse counter.  The limit switch arm moves for each case so each case is counted.  Small and battery powered, fits within the housing on the lower side of the case feeder, reset button on the front cover.  If I recall, it was like $40 and took about a half hour to install, most of that time cutting the square hole to fit it into.

Counter I used
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
This is on my red brand press and it's kinda home brewed but I'm just now making a round counter for my press.  I used an IR photogate on the drop bin because I only want it to count finished rounds (whether that means loaded or the first cycle for sizing on rifle brass).  It's a "prototype" but the photogate is working perfectly, it can tolerate a good bit of misalignment between the IR LED and the receiver yet the brass always breaks the beam so my arduino can detect and count the DI transition from on to off.

This is all just a temporary setup but it's usable as is, at least with 9mm and .223 (the only ones I've tested with so far):

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top