Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 7:41:06 PM EDT
Started loading .223 for first time on Dillon 650 and after it throws the powder when the shell comes down it spills some powder onto the shell
Plate. Yes it’s leaking from the actual measure and not spilling from rotating the shell plate to fast.
I polished the powder funnel and powder measure i didn’t fully take it apart like some videos we’re suggesting though.
I did the dryer sheet trick.
And I did the spring/rubber band around the powder bar trick that helped some but didn’t fully elevate the problem any other suggestions?
I believe I have the fail safe rod adjusted properly I went off dillons YouTube video.
Powder is hodgon  H335

Edit
Bench is rock solid
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to say....

1.  Adjust failsafe bar correctly
2.  Polish inside of funnel
3.  Dryer sheet

But the most important thing?  Slow down.  When the ram is fully raised, count to 3 then move on.  See if the problem still exists.

Picture of failsafe bar spring when ram is fully lowered and you are pushing forward to seat a primer?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Hmmm,.......something is not right

My 650 runs H335 fine without spilling.

I'd look for something broken, or assembled wrong
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been loading on a 650 for ~20 yrs and haven't had this happen. Like was said, maybe slow down and/or check that your bench is rock solid.

In for the results.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Small amounts of powder can actually collect around the case mouth (thickness of the brass). I have seen this when using plastic powder funnels with a hole that is slightly larger than the case mouth. Make sure the hole in the powder die is just a tad smaller than the case mouth opening. Maybe the sleeve is not the correct size.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll echo pausing at the bottom of each stroke.

Also, take the powder funnel out and clean it with brake cleaner of you didn't do so initially to remove any oils that could be causing powder to stick in the funnel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to say....

3.  Dryer sheet

But the most important thing?  Slow down.  When the ram is fully raised, count to 3 then move on.  See if the problem still exists.

Picture of failsafe bar spring when ram is fully lowered and you are pushing forward to seat a primer?
View Quote

Ok so after some testing if I slow down and count to two when the Ram is fully raised. And I go slow coming down no powder spill if I come down fast with the Ram I get the leakage is that normal?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok so after some testing if I slow down and count to two when the Ram is fully raised. And I go slow coming down no powder spill if I come down fast with the Ram I get the leakage is that normal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going to say....

3.  Dryer sheet

I’m not sure because I always go slow when loading rifle
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going to say....

3.  Dryer sheet

It's normal as you have to give ~25gr of powder enough time to flow through a 22 caliber hole.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Stall for a 3 count during the drop.

What powder?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stall for a 3 count during the drop.

What powder?
View Quote

Hodgon h335
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's normal as you have to give ~25gr of powder enough time to flow through a 22 caliber hole.
View Quote

But it seems to not have to do with waiting at the top it’s all dependent on how fast/slow I come down with the Ram after waiting 2-3 missipi
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, operator error.
View Quote

Thanks I’ll slow down I’ve only loaded 9mm on it so far and definitely didn’t have to go that slow on the down stroke.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah you're not using NEARLY the amount of powder on 9 that you do with 223.  Slowing down helped stop it for my on my 550 when I was the FNG.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
For rifle rounds, I attach a small aquarium pump to the plastic hopper with a rubber band.  The vibration assists power moving through the drop.  This is more critical with stick powders.  

Also, keep things around there free of case lube.

You don't need to go that fast to hit the 1000 round per hour spec.  And, with .223, for the shear cost of ammo right now, you can afford to go a bit slower, knowing how much money you are saving each time you pull the handle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If you using Fail link,, watch the bar as it return with case coming down,,,,,,,,,,,,, watch to see if bar stalls briefly while platform and case still come down out / off powder funnel... see powder fall out before bar slaps the last little bit home...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hmmm,.......something is not right

My 650 runs H335 fine without spilling.

I'd look for something broken, or assembled wrong
View Quote

I am using WC844 and no issues with the large powder bar.  I only hesitate and certainly don't wait 3 seconds during the stroke of the press mine is maybe 1 second and a smooth advance on the speed of the shell plate.   Double check everything.  Maybe some slop between the powder bar and the actual powder funnel body?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Not running a 650 but the 550 if I run to fast will dribble a bit as above have mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s all fixed now I’m pretty sure it was mostly me just going to fast but maybe it was a combination of the “tricks” above ^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top