Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 11:36:18 PM EDT
So I was cranking away on the 650, churning out 9mm. Until suddenly the front of the powder measure turned into a waterfall of powder, coming from where the powder bar is supposed to be.

I managed to plug it with my thumb while I grabbed the powder jug, unpinned the toolhead, and dumped the remainder of the powder in.

It turned out the little nylon pin that holds the powder bar spacer in place had worked its way out, allowing the powder to dump out the front.

It was easy enough to fix, once I had cleaned up the mess. But it was a little unexpected. I'll have to check my other powder measures. Thought I'd pass this along. It might save someone else a bit of a mess.

I did check the powder in the cases charged just before the failure, and they were spot on. So I don't think I have any issue there.

Notice in the picture below how the spacer has moved back.

Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a new one on me. If there was anything I would change about dillon it would be the powder measure, but I've never had that issue pop up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That defeats gravity but I will keep a eye out for movement.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
lol....I had a new one a few weeks ago.  I had pulled my PM off to dump the powder, I guess I was in a hurry to put it back on didnt have it sitting all the way down.  I tighten the 2 bolts and called it a night.  Well the next time I went to load, I dumped my powder in and started checking drops.  All of the sudden the whole powder measure just popped up and I got a face full of powder, I caught it before it hit the ground, but 1/2 the powder was in my face and all over myself and on the floor/press

Where safety glasses
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. I have three more powder measures with the spacer.  All of them had the little pin sticking up about 1/8 inch. They all snapped into place when I pushed them down. So now I  wondering if I never pushed them in all the way (all at different times over the past 15 years), or if they work themselves up to that point on a regular basis.

I'll have to keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Double tap. Home internet hanging up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
never had that happen yet, something I need to keep an eye on.

What I didn't keep an eye on was that little nylon square that goes into the powder bar and actually makes the bar move on the 550B.  The screw holding it walked loose and let the nylon thingy flop out of it's slot.  The 650 would have caught it since I have the powder checker for it.

Didn't catch it in time and had to weigh of bunch of rounds and try to figure out which ones were 8 gr lighter than the others (the powder charge I was using).  Because cases themselves vary as much as 5 gr and the lead bullets I was using varied as much as 5 grains this wasn't a 100% sure way to find the uncharged cases.

What I did was started weighing all the loaded cases and noticed the bulk of them were 250-260 grains, anything under 250 grains I put in a reject bucket.  Shot them today, about 1/3 were duds, about 25 in all.

In the habit of checking the powder charge every 300 rds or so anyway, and occasionally eyeballing the powder charge the cases, but out of 500 or so rounds these were the last 25 rounds, I caught it in time but not before mixing these uncharged cases with the good ones

Good news is my Brownells squib rod works great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top