Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2020 11:53:04 PM EDT
I’m trying to get my 550 dialed in and during my dry runs, the powder drop doe has been expanding deep into the wall of the 9mm case so much that the case wall ID is larger than the bullets causing them to fall too far into the case before they are seated.

To I have the power drop adjusted too far? I was under the impression that it created a little bit of a flare on the case mouth but this is expanding the entire case without making a flare at all.

Mixed headstamp brass. I ran about 5 rounds and they all did the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you pull your powder measure off and confirm the funnel size, it should be an F funnel. I know there is also a 9 funnel, but that is for Makarov ammo.

Then do you have pictures of the cases that are over expanded.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you have the wrong expander die. Should flair the case mouth and nothing more. What other calibers do you load?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Screw the die back out a bit and secure it
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.. if its set too low, it will go deeper into the case. You want it set so that it just bells the base mouth enough for a bullet to set in, and no more. It doesn't take much, but will require you to turn the threads slowly and test until its just right, then lock the nut down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.. if its set too low, it will go deeper into the case. You want it set so that it just bells the base mouth enough for a bullet to set in, and no more. It doesn't take much, but will require you to turn the threads slowly and test until its just right, then lock the nut down.
View Quote

Yeah it takes a while to get set just right. Trial and error. Just like every other die ha
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll raise the die up a little bit. I only have 1 caliber currently and this is my first time setting up a blue press and it's been slow going.

I didn't see a noticeable flare but it's obviously flaring deep into the case.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Put the powder measure on the die and run it down on a case. The powder bar should come all the way out and not much more. This will give you just a slight bell which will make your brass last much longer by not working the case mouth too much.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll raise the die up a little bit. I only have 1 caliber currently and this is my first time setting up a blue press and it's been slow going.

View Quote

Setting it up takes time and patience. Don't rush it.

And buy toolheads with new calibers, screw resetting dies constantly when you switch what you're loading.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure the brass has been resized first?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I second (third?) the motion of verifying the powder funnel number. 38/357 powder funnels have a longer initial step, and could potentially bottom out on the cases inner taper without the flaring step on the funnel ever contacting the case mouth to flare it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
"F" funnel,, and verify actual die adjustment,,, bring case up, screw die with measure assembly down until bar make full stroke with white cube at end of travel.....

Now sneak up on your desired flare by turn die down a wee bit and hit hit funnel with case,, check actual flare,,,,,,,, need more,, sneek die down a weee bit more,,,,  hit funnel with case again,, check flare,,,, repeat until you get desired value,,, lock the die in place.

Takes a little bit of time, see what happen with that
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’m trying to get my 550 dialed in and during my dry runs, the powder drop doe has been expanding deep into the wall of the 9mm case so much that the case wall ID is larger than the bullets causing them to fall too far into the case before they are seated.

To I have the power drop adjusted too far? I was under the impression that it created a little bit of a flare on the case mouth but this is expanding the entire case without making a flare at all.

View Quote

Sounds like you’re not sizing those cases prior to the powder die.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Squatch reloading has a 5 or 6 part video series on the youtube that I used to set up my Dillon 550 for 9mm.  He goes step by step for each die and my first runs came out perfect.  All fell right into the case guage and fired flawlwssly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's an F funnel, it won't flare that deep into the case, it would destroy the case.

You can look at the photo below to see the funnel shape, if it were flaring the case too far, you see the next lip at the bottom, that would deform the case and if you were truly going that deep with the funnel, it would also be hard to force your powder measure to move that far and would likely throw the white square cube out of the measure.

Please pull the funnel out and verify the letter on it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Where the hell is the OP? Three days with no update!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just had another thought, @Fushaw, are you using 9mm bullets? You didn't state what bullets you were using. Maybe the bullets have a smaller OD than the 9mm case ID.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My theory is he figured it out and doesn't need us anymore.

It happens a lot.
View Quote

Figuring out the press still. I've been out hunting deer and fishing all weekend so reloading was on the backburner. I’m waiting for a replacement decapping rod for my sizing die and then I’ll be able to test the setup. I backed the powder drop die off just a hair giving a smaller flare but without sizing the brass i feel like my results arent 100% accurate yet
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just had another thought, @Fushaw, are you using 9mm bullets? You didn't state what bullets you were using. Maybe the bullets have a smaller OD than the 9mm case ID.
View Quote

Im using xtreme plated bullets and measuring 5-6 of them all came in pretty close to .355
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top