Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 2:03:06 PM EDT
I'm having fits with the 650 loading .223  

About 1 in 5 cases tip over while being directed down the station 1 locator.

I have always noticed cases do not drop centered on this locator, the way they did with my 550.  You can see evidence of this in my pictures below - how it lines up looking from above, and just noting the wear pattern on my 9mm locator.  I could be mistaken, but I believe the fact it doesn't drop them centered, is the main cause for the misalignment, and falling over.  I have a tiny amount of trouble with 9mm, but not bad at all.  Maybe one in 100-200.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a picture that makes it more clear, with the toolhead removed.  Is this alignment normal?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Having the same problem just today!  I did a couple things that helped but not sure if it is right.

Mine were tipping because the slider wasn't pushing them all the way on the shell carrier, and the guide was about 1/8" from the carrier.  I think the shell was not being handled in that transition and falling over.

Adjusted the case feeder slider so that it pushes the case further onto the shell carrier.  This is causing the brass to hit the carrier just before it gets in position.  Don't think this is a huge issue.

Added a spacer to keep the guide closer to the shell plate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a fore-aft adjustment on the case slider(name?). It is a allen screw on the side of the black plastic trapezoid shaped piece. Also, do you have the trapezoid(case slider) turned correctly? One way is for pistol, turn 180 degrees for rifle using the same allen head used for adjustment for removal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a fore-aft adjustment on the case slider(name?). It is a allen screw on the side of the black plastic trapezoid shaped piece. Also, do you have the trapezoid(case slider) turned correctly? One way is for pistol, turn 180 degrees for rifle using the same allen head used for adjustment for removal.
View Quote
going with this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  This is properly adjusted and turned the correct way (and tried the pistol side as some people prefer that for .223) to no help.  Regardless, that likely isn't related anyway, as this is falling during the push.  Adjusting those things has to do more with ensuring the brass seats into the shellplate correctly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
going with this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59119/97082_png-1782414.JPG

No, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Yep, that is the piece I was referring to. Thanks for the image.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is a picture that makes it more clear, with the toolhead removed.  Is this alignment normal?

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0TPksxp/20210116-204211838-i-OS-2.jpg
View Quote

Okay. I removed my toolhead and compared to your pic. If your pic is accurately depicting the alignment your "small" bushing alignment is off to the left. Remove and reinstall.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have cross threaded it. There is very little thread length on the bushing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay. I removed my toolhead and compared to your pic. If your pic is accurately depicting the alignment your "small" bushing alignment is off to the left. Remove and reinstall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0TPksxp/20210116-204211838-i-OS-2.jpg

Removal and reinstall of the small bushing doesn't change anything.  Pic is accurate.  Is yours not aligned like mine?  Can you take a pic of yours with the platform raised and the toolhead removed, looking straight down the station one locator like my pic?

Quoted:
You may have cross threaded it. There is very little thread length on the bushing.

Not cross threaded.  I grew up in a machine shop and work with mechanical things daily, so I understand the thought process.... but I am very methodical.

Thanks for the ideas so far!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
You have the right conversion parts?  Confused seeing one with #3 and one with #5
Per Dillon

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You have the right conversion parts?  Confused seeing one with #3 and one with #5
Per Dillon

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59119/cf9_jpg-1782895.JPG https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59119/cf223_jpg-1782896.JPG
View Quote

Yes.  Sorry - I tried to explain it in the text - was showing #5 just to show the wear marks from 9mm, so you can clearly see the alignment is off to one side.  I have run about 30k 9mm through it, so it has wear there.  I am just now setting this press up to run .223 for the first time, so the conversion kit was new (and correct).  You can see the #3 in my photos where the press is demonstrating the alignment issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, will get a pic. Give me just a minute though. My computer fu is weak and internet connection here is worse.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#14]
my 650 is set up for 45ACP but I studied how the case drops, it doesn't drop perfectly centered, shifted a bit to the rear as shown on the wear pattern in the pic for the 9mm ramp #5.  

Looked at wear patterns for ramps for .223 and 9mm and 45ACP.

The 9mm is off centered a bit but my .223 isn't.  I haven't had tipping problems with either 9mm or 45ACP.

Haven't had my press set up for .223 for a long time, mostly a dedicated 9mm and 45ACP machine and been loading .223 on the 550B instead.

Maybe explain in more detail exactly when the case tips over:  right after it's dropped or does it drop ok and then tip when the insert starts to push it into the grooves of the ramp?

9mm/223/45ACP:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]
20210116_221100 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191793425@N03/]" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Holy crap y’all are way more centered than mine.  I have a bad case feeder mechanism where it attaches to the press, or my press isn’t drilled correctly where this casefeeder assembly attaches.  I contacted Dillon  and I’ll call them as well, and see why they say.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#17]
This is set up for 9MM after swapping from 223/556. Some of the case feed parts were the same like "Small" metal(aluminum)bushing, maybe the green plastic bushing and such. Not sure, I would have to go back and look at the conversion sheet. Hope that helps...   EDIT: I was typing while you replied
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't switch the slider around for 223.  Never had an issue on the pistol slider...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I adjusted mine as I described above and I still have a few fall over, very seldom compared to before.

The hand off to the shell plate is solid and the carrier is placing them well into the shell plate notch.

I think mine is a function of vibration induced by the operation.  I'l show some pics.

Edited to say I haven't had mine long (loaded several thousand pistol so far) and am in the process of sizing thousands of .223 cases.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I took everything apart, realigned the platform using the Dillon alignment tool, cleaned and lubricated everything.  Used a healthy dose of grease under the station one locator per Dillon's recommendations.  It still is misaligned where it drops cases very much to one side.  

I switched from the rifle side back to the pistol side on the casefeeder cam, and this helped by dropping the case much later in the cycle, which resulted in fewer cases dropping way off to the left on the locator ramp.  I ran a batch of 50 cases, and only one out of those 50 tipped over.  That's still way too much for me, although improved.  The ones that tip over and/or shake the most, are the ones that drop almost all the way to one side on the station one locator plate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
On the "casefeed body assembly" held on with 2+1 allen screws, is there any play? To say, if you loosen the screws can the body be corrected a fraction of an amount?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you have any other casefeed body bushings? Large size even. How is their alignment?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I painted P and R on mine to remind me to flip it, when I go from pistol to rifle.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you have any other casefeed body bushings? Large size even. How is their alignment?
View Quote

Same.  Identical.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the "casefeed body assembly" held on with 2+1 allen screws, is there any play? To say, if you loosen the screws can the body be corrected a fraction of an amount?
View Quote

No - they are snugged.  And I have removed it half dozen times, and tried to shift it, but there is less and 1/32" of play there... almost none.  Now - to address the "problem" I could drill/dremel these out a bit to allow some play, to be able to change where the case is dropped, and this would resolve my issue.  But I'm going to see what Dillon says before taking matters into my own hands.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Think we covered all the possibilities, at this point suspecting out of spec press, may Dillon's quality control has slipped a bit with the high demand for their products.  You'll probably will be asked to send the press back at their expense and they'll end up sending you a new one.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#29]
here’s mine, setup for .357magnum

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I went to check to see how much mine was off, it's hitting a bit to the left when looking from say the shell plate bolt to the insert ramp.
I noticed that if I push the handle to the right the platform moves a bit counterclockwise due to the slop in the linkage.  Moving the handle to the right moves the ram counter clock wise a bit which means the platform which is bolted to it moves counter clockwise as well.  Then it hits dead center.

Just one more thing to check I guess
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Think we covered all the possibilities, at this point suspecting out of spec press, may Dillon's quality control has slipped a bit with the high demand for their products.  You'll probably will be asked to send the press back at their expense and they'll end up sending you a new one.

Keep us posted.
View Quote

Only he doesn't have a recently purchased press as his is a 650 and that's been replaced with the newer 750, but evidently he's had this issue of it not being centered only now it's more noticeable with the 223 cases. Dillon will still get him taken care of.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Thanks - I think this seals it for me.  I'll call Dillon tomorrow.

Yours:

Mine:

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I read through this and can't imagine the cause.  I have to ask though, is your press on a bench in the garage and someone may have hit it with the car?

Dillon would still cover that under warranty.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Is there an over travel bolt in the system someplace, or could one be added?  I do mean without gumming up the whole system

edit: thought of this just after hitting the post reply button:  Could there be a worn surface inside that is allowing the system to swing out too far, and thus off center?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Welp - it's resolved!

Back and forth with Dillon via phone and email for a few days - they decided to ship me an updated casefeed body (pics below).  Turns out my original was machined out of spec.  The new one aligns my casefeed body bushing perfectly centered over my station 1 locator.  Just ran 150 cases from slow to crazy fast and not a single one tipped.

New casefeed body (slightly updated design for the XL750 but works on the 650):

They basically sent me an assembly, parts 1-6 below:

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Bravo
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Glad it's resolved.  If they machined one out of spec probably a lot more out of spec ones out there.  Glad they made it right
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top