Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 10:17:19 PM EDT
I have been sorting through some mixed 1x fired 7mm-08 brass, which has all been shot through a match chambered Bartlein barrel. I have an RCBS Precision Mic, and have been measuring the datum points on the shoulders and noticing a decent amount of variation (even among some of the same headstamps).  Using the reference point of "0" on the mic, I have some that were -.002-.003" over and some that were as low as .004" under the reference point.  I've been measuring these to set up a die to practice bumping back the shoulders .002-.003", but wasn't expecting this much variation.

Is this common?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So your ES is 0.002" - that's pretty common...  it's -0.003" ± 0.001".  Did you measure them before they were fired???  I used to shoot for bumping the shoulder back 0.002 to 0.003 for my 308 bolt rifle...  lost most of a batch of Federal cases by 12 firings due to ICS.  I am now experimenting with bumping the shoulder less...  

Free advice - if you like playing with finely adjusting headspace, you should own a Redding shell holder as well as a set of Redding Competition shell holders for 308 (size 1) in this case... Link
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you measure them before they were fired???
View Quote
No, although I do have some left in a box that haven't been fired...I'll have to check.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No, although I do have some left in a box that haven't been fired...I'll have to check.  
View Quote
I'd expect them to measure out at -0.004 if it's factory ammunition - it's kind of universally compatible with various chambers and ammo manufacturers know this..

You might not have reached the actual chamber length yet...  I would size cases to put the shoulder in the same place as the longest you have found...  and then see what happens when you fire those - do a small batch.

P.S.: In case you have not looked, headspace will get several (5-ish) thousandths larger if you only partially size the case by not going all the way to the bottom of the handle stroke...

P.P.S.: DON'T be stingy with lube when trying to finely control headspace be sure your cases are well lubed.  Don't over-do it but don't under-do it either...
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Free advice - if you like playing with finely adjusting headspace, you should own a Redding shell holder as well as a set of Redding Competition shell holders for 308 (size 1) in this case... Link
View Quote
...and down the rabbit hole I continue to go!  ;)
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...and down the rabbit hole I continue to go!  ;)
View Quote
Yes, but at least it's a dry rabbit hole...
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to assume this is a gas gun? If so that's about what I run into with mine.  I chock it up to the violent action of cycling.

If a bolt gun using the shell pates mentioned will make it very easy to control.

One thing I try to do is use the same pressure when measuring and spin my brass 3x when measuring.

I use Hornady gages.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I see the same basic deal in my rifles..semi or bolt..has to do with the spring back of the brass,  the chamber/case size /the dies/ and the process...takes several firings but they will close up some, but even on my hot stuff they will still come out slightly different in case length...I use a shoulder only die and set it to my longest case minus .002"  then put a mark across the die and the press and loosen the die off a bit . I then measure each case as it goes thru, if its still long , I tighten the die a bit and resize till it's where I want it, then back the die off and go to the next one... Slow process, but not bad once you get the hang of it...

Attachment Attached File

Longest case...
Attachment Attached File

Sized...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A half thou short..will shoot fine...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I see the same basic deal in my rifles,...semi or bolt,... takes several firings but they will close up...
View Quote
That has been my experience, as well.  The second firing usually stabilizes the dimensions but after the third for sure (the short ones grow to match the longest ones).

After one firing, I measure a bunch and always assume the longest case is the chamber length.  I size down 0.001" to 0.002" from that largest dimension.

I check to ensure this size chambers easily.

Re-measure the fired brass after each firing to ensure your assumptions are valid and adjust if needed.

This approach has never failed me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to assume this is a gas gun?
View Quote
No, its a bolt rifle.

I measured a few more cases last night, just to see if there was any more variation.  I tried some of the Prvi 140gr loaded ammo, and it all mic'd at 0.000 - 0.002" (based on the "0" reference point on the gauge).  1x fired, the brass was 0.000- 0.001".  I found some Winchester nickel brass that is all 1x fired, but has been resized and currently loaded...it all measured -0.004 - 0.005".  After firing, I got anywhere from -0.001 - 0.002 (majority was 0.000).  2x fired standard Winchester brass was from -0.001 - 0.002, so a spread of 0.003.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Getting ready to order the Redding comp shell holder set...is it one of those things I should definitely have?  Good thing is, the same kit will work with .260, 7mm-08, and .308.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, more decisions.  I guess the good thing with the adjustable die collar is it can be used with any die...
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Getting ready to order the Redding comp shell holder set...is it one of those things I should definitely have?  Good thing is, the same kit will work with .260, 7mm-08, and .308.
View Quote
Is it essential?  No.  But it DOES make it really fast/easy to change headspace up or down (0.002" increments) as easily as changing a shell holder and not fiddling with screwing a die in or out the "right" amount...  And YES it should be applicable to any of the 308 family of cartridges... 243 win, 25-08, 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, 308 win, 338 fed, 358 win, & 375 raptor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Common. Until  brass has been fired and neck sized at least 3 times with full pressure loads.

Or start with .010" between die and shell holder. Size. See if brass will chamber. Adjust die till brass chambers with slight hard bolt closure. May take a few firings. This will be the head to datum measurement to use.

The Redding comp shell holder set will remove any slop from press flexing  and linkage .

The firing pin strike may see the shoulder back .006" on firing.( 223 in a Savage)
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a set of Redding competition shell holders, so now I am trying to figure out what else would greatly benefit setting up the cases.  I picked up just over 100 pieces of Nosler brass, and I would like to make them last as loooong as possible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I picked up a set of Redding competition shell holders, so now I am trying to figure out what else would greatly benefit setting up the cases.  I picked up just over 100 pieces of Nosler brass, and I would like to make them last as loooong as possible.
View Quote
So, the only thing that I can think of that might lengthen your case life might be an annealer.  I say might because you can (and I DID) lose cases to stuff other than split necks namely ICS and loosening primer pockets.  The ICS thing you should have under control if you keep your headspace matched to your chamber.  Primer pockets loosen because of stretch caused by "stout" loadings (and/or some brass characteristics that you can't change - thickness, hardness, etc...) so try not to push the envelope with powder charges.  Having said that, we ARE all looking for "performance" aren't we?!?!?!?

In loading for .308, (so far) I have never retired a case because of a split neck and I have never annealed...  FWIW...  YMMV!

P.S.: Why Nosler brass?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an RCBS Precision Mic, and have been measuring the datum points on the shoulders ...
View Quote
Minor Technical Correction -
Jason, you are measuring case length to a fixed datum.  You are not measuring the "datum" on each case.  There is a single datum you are using - it is the diameter of the opening in the gage.  You are measuring the length of the case from the case head to the place at which the case diameter equals the datum diameter.  This is commonly referred to as the "headspace of the case".
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
P.S.: Why Nosler brass?
View Quote
Mainly because I found 100+ pieces for a decent enough price...plus, finding 1x fired Lapua is damn near impossible.

I'm definitely looking at adding an annealing machine, but haven't decided on which one yet.  I'd convinced myself to make one of these, but decided against it as there is no way to get consistent annealing doing it manually.  I'll probably end up going with one with the dual drums, something that will anneal every case the exact same way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Minor Technical Correction -
Jason, you are case length to a fixed datum. You are not measuring the "datum" on each case. There is a single datum you are using - it is the diameter of the opening in the gage. You are measuring the length of the case from the case head to place at which the case diameter equals the datum diameter. This is commonly referred to as the "headspace of the case"
View Quote
Interesting to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I fixed a few cut and paste errors in my post.  It might make sense now.

SAAMI specifies the datum diameter and range of acceptable case lengths in their spec for each cartridge type.  Look through their "Cartridge and Chamber Drawings" for this info.

Link to SAAMI web site
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top