Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2018 5:42:48 AM EDT
I saw this picture.
Amazing how a few little changes make such a huge difference.
So... what is that a rounded replacement part on the underside of the handguard in lieu of the pic rail? Is it this?
I don't know about anyone else, but with M-Lok, I'm so over rails all over the place now.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The spikes on the flash hider are an interesting touch.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a sweet looking SCAR 16!

From your link, I think you'd nailed it as PMM rail elimination panel.  My biggest pet peeve with the SCAR is that bottom rail, maybe it is time for me to pull mine out of the back of the safe.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I do like the look
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That the PMM SCAR elimination panels and the underside is the PMM M-Lok rail. Really does clean up the gun ALOT. Have those on both my SCAR's. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't care for the flash hider but otherwise that is a good looking rifle, I agree
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't buy a SCAR for the looks, you buy it for the capabilities. Personally I think the 17s has it's own beauty, but frankly it beats out all the competition for .308 semi-autos.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything looks better with an ACR stock on it
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The spikes on the flash hider are an interesting touch.
View Quote
I don't think they're on the flash hider.... Looks like something behind it. That would be weird if they were. I didn't really look at it that way.

Quoted:
I don't care for the flash hider but otherwise that is a good looking rifle, I agree
View Quote
I could take it or leave it. I've seen worse. Not sure how it works. I'm only just recently learning the value of the blast cans.

Quoted:
You don't buy a SCAR for the looks, you buy it for the capabilities. Personally I think the 17s has it's own beauty, but frankly it beats out all the competition for .308 semi-autos.
View Quote
You are correct... I don't buy a SCAR for the looks. Or the price.
I'm only even considering the 17 because of how it shoots... but when I weigh need vs want, I'm totally guilty of including looks as a deciding factor.
There are functional things I'm not crazy about with it... and some of those "functional" things also make it look ugly (to me).

I'm still amazed that the SCAR (16) weighs less than an ACR.
I know it's apples and oranges but any idea how much more the 17 weighs compared to an ACR?

This HK 433 actually looks a lot like the SCAR in the picture above.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think they're on the flash hider.... Looks like something behind it. That would be weird if they were. I didn't really look at it that way.

I could take it or leave it. I've seen worse. Not sure how it works. I'm only just recently learning the value of the blast cans.

You are correct... I don't buy a SCAR for the looks. Or the price.
I'm only even considering the 17 because of how it shoots... but when I weigh need vs want, I'm totally guilty of including looks as a deciding factor.
There are functional things I'm not crazy about with it... and some of those "functional" things also make it look ugly (to me).

I'm still amazed that the SCAR (16) weighs less than an ACR.
I know it's apples and oranges but any idea how much more the 17 weighs compared to an ACR?

This HK 433 actually looks a lot like the SCAR in the picture above.
View Quote
Well, the SCAR 17 in bone stock form is 8 pounds and was supposed to be the lightest 7.62 NATO rifle....in the .mil testing.......what's an ACR weight?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, the SCAR 17 in bone stock form is 8 pounds and was supposed to be the lightest 7.62 NATO rifle....in the .mil testing.......what's an ACR weight?
View Quote
According to this, the Bushmaster ACR weighs 8 lbs without ammo.
Not sure about the Remington ACR. I imagine it's about the same. Of the two I'm not sure which one people prefer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sure about the Remington ACR. I imagine it's about the same. Of the two I'm not sure which one people prefer.
View Quote
Yea, but that's the 5.56 version and it weighs as much as the 7.62 SCAR.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Naw, give me a dirty "50 shades of FDE" SCAR with a lead-brick Elcan and plain Ugg boot stock any day. The SCAR is iconic as a "form follows function" military design like the Humvee, B-29 Superfortress or M1 Garand and needs nothing else to be pure bad-ass.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh... I'll never get over reciprocating bolt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fact that it is an 8lb semi-auto .308 is what's attractive. Put an ACOG on it and you have all the rifle you'd need out to 600 yards. SR-25s are stupid heavy and more a DMR gun anyway. To me the SCAR 17 is the closest you can get to a "perfect" rifle. The new NX8 may be the final piece to really make it shine.

Looking at the SCAR, I always assumed it would be a heavy beast what with the caliber and beefy looks. When I shot it and it was so light yet very manageable...I became a believer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The fact that it is an 8lb semi-auto .308 is what's attractive. Put an ACOG on it and you have all the rifle you'd need out to 600 yards. SR-25s are stupid heavy and more a DMR gun anyway. To me the SCAR 17 is the closest you can get to a "perfect" rifle. The new NX8 may be the final piece to really make it shine.

Looking at the SCAR, I always assumed it would be a heavy beast what with the caliber and beefy looks. When I shot it and it was so light yet very manageable...I became a believer.
View Quote
My 16" barreled SCAR 17 weighs in at roughly 10.3 pounds with Trijicon 1-8 Accupower, mount and TBAC Ultra 7. I find it just about perfect for my use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
My SR25 ACC is 8lbs. And is more pleasant to shoot than the 17. I still have my 16 but I sold the 17 when I got some time behind my SR25. That being said, the 17 is a GREAT platform. I just wanted to say that my SR25 weight was equal to my scar when I had both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My SR25 ACC is 8lbs. And is more pleasant to shoot than the 17. I still have my 16 but I sold the 17 when I got some time behind my SR25. That being said, the 17 is a GREAT platform. I just wanted to say that my SR25 weight was equal to my scar when I had both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto, the current APC/ACC SR-25 is 8.4lbs, 1/3 of a pound is no longer much of an advantage. A few years back when the SR-25 and LMT were 9+ lbs that was more of a talking point. The SR-25 is most certainly more accurate as well with a much more preferred 1:10 twist barrel, I feel that it fulfills more of a DMR role than a heavy battle rifle like the 17. That said, for an out right heavy battle rifle, the 17 with the 13" barrel assembly is pretty much as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
What semi automatic firearm does not have a reciprocating bolt?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think he meant reciprocating bolt [charging] handle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think he meant reciprocating bolt [charging] handle.
View Quote
Gotcha.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
No AK's for you either then.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Galil, FNC, Valmet...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You don't buy a SCAR for the looks, you buy it for the capabilities internet cool guy points. Personally I think the 17s has it's own beauty, but frankly it beats out all the competition for .308 semi-autos guns that impress other internet homos.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't buy a SCAR for the looks, you buy it for the capabilities internet cool guy points. Personally I think the 17s has it's own beauty, but frankly it beats out all the competition for .308 semi-autos guns that impress other internet homos.
Fixed.
Umm.....okay....
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a strong suspicion you may end up seeing PMM stuff on newer SCAR variants...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree the M-Lok replacing the pic rails really cleans up the rifle.  I did away with the pic rails on mine and put a longer rail.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
PMM is it when it comes to SCAR kit.

Have elimination and mlok panels - as
Well as mlok extension.

And Jared did my barrel chop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my PMM Parts.

Requires removing barrel.

I used a soldering iron to heat the Torx bolts.

Great quality.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Remington version is lighter because they got rid of the folding QD barrel lever, along with some other minor changes.
I don't recall how much lighter. I've only held the Busmaster semi-auto ACR and it struck me as way too heavy. More than a modern 5.56 carbine should weigh.

I like the HK G36 because it's a lightweight piston rifle. The SCAR 16 is very nice also. (And mucho mag dumps won't warp the receiver).
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got my PMM Parts.

Requires removing barrel.

I used a soldering iron to heat the Torx bolts.

Great quality.
https://i.imgur.com/kXPzQNK.jpg
View Quote
Boy that really cleans up the rifle doesn't it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top