Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2020 2:11:53 PM EDT
Hit the range today with my first reloads.  made them on a Lee Handpress (and quickly bought a Hornady press).

45 Colt, CCI magnum large pistol primers.  I made 10 rounds with 30gr of FFFg Pyrodex, and 7 rounds with 35 gr.

I initially got the black powder sub because I kept reading about using magnum with black powder, but it looks like I can use with smokeless as well, just drop the load weight. Is that correct?  Those were the only primers I could find locally.

Anyway, they were just proof of concept rounds and make sure I wasn't going to "shoot my eye out."
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the successful reloaders club.

I don't load black powder cartridge loads.

Need to know if you are shooting a "weak" or "strong" 45 Colt to give an answer.

If it's a Ruger, you will be fine, repo's and others....?
View Quote

Cimarron SAA clone, and a Winchester 94AE.

I purposefully kept the load under 40 grains since the weak link is the pistol.  I have some Accurate #9 to make hotter/rifle loads, as well as #5 for pistol.  Have a line on Trailboss too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Trail Boss and magnum primers should be ok, right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Trail Boss and magnum primers should be ok, right?
View Quote

I've seen a lot of people say they use magnum when they do not have regular primers.  They start at the bottom side of load and start from there as the magnum does add to charge vs a regular primer.  As always it is best to use what the data books/reloading manual says.  Hodgdon has reloading data on there site if you need some info on trailboss loads for 45LC.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting.

I also have a Cimmaron SAA. It's a frontier 5.5"  in .357.

Question, why did you decide to use a black powder alternative as oppossed to a modern smokless powder?

Cowboy replication?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting.

I also have a Cimmaron SAA. It's a frontier 5.5"  in .357.

Question, why did you decide to use a black powder alternative as oppossed to a modern smokless powder?

Cowboy replication?
View Quote

Mostly because of the primers.  I actually bought 3 lbs of Accurate #5, but couldn't find LP primers, only magnum.

So I looked in to it, and saw that MLP primers are recommended for BP loads.  So I went and got Pyrodex (first BP substitute I could find).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top