Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2020 7:15:08 AM EDT
Not sure what this platform would have over a cut down Remington 700 in a chassis for a third of the price.   Meant for accuracy right?

Now there is the Mini Fix in 300 Blackout with an 8" barrel.  This, I do not get at all.

Thinking maybe a 6.5 Grendel would be a better choice as this would give the platform an overall smaller footprint, lighter weight and less recoil. However, it would make use of the 6.5mm superior external ballistics and still possess ample knock down power out to 600 compare to the .308 with same barrel length.

Don't want to say a fool is easily parted with their money, but come on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
In the world of highly customized precision rifles, $3,200 is a reasonable price for a full custom gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the world of highly customized precision rifles, $3,200 is a reasonable price for a full custom gun.
View Quote

Ok, so what did it fix?  The price of a custom gun?  

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not a custom gun though.  It's more akin to AI, Sako, Desert Tech, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what it's niche is honestly.  They are light so there's that if that's what you're looking for.  I'd still take a Tikka over it just because Kevin B is a douche imo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
They are designed to be an extremely light, compact, strong, accurate, and modular magazine fed hunting rifle. There wasn't and still isn't much out there anywhere like it and relatively inexpensive for the performance you get with the features mentioned above.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are designed to be an extremely light, compact, strong, accurate, and modular magazine fed hunting rifle. There wasn't and still isn't much out there anywhere like it and relatively inexpensive for the performance you get with the features mentioned above.
View Quote

I would have to disagree.

I could cut down a Remington 700 to 16" and throw it in a MDT LSS for about $1000 on the low end.  Put it is a TAC21 for about $1300.

How much would a 16" barrel action weight?  Maybe 3-3.5 lbs.  2 lbs for LSS and 3.5lbs for the TAC21 would give you a rifle that weights 5 to 7 pounds (on the top end).

Not much difference than the FIX 6 pounds.

It would be strong, accurate, compact and magazine fed, modular and just as light.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I played with one for a while that the owner was having issues with.

The short answer was that the issues the owner was having were not due to any problem with the gun.

That said, I was very much less than impressed with the actual rifle itself.

The tiny bolt was awkward to manipulate (and i prefer standard size handles such as the ones on T3s and R700s), and running the action was not smooth. The cheekpiece was extremely uncomfortable, as was the butt pad. I ended up building up pads for both. It was simply an unergonomic rifle that was not comfortable to shoot or manipulate in any way, and I was not at all impressed.

As someone who shoots various rifles, and owns a couple different ones that are in chassis, I would not spend my money on one.

I would buy a T3 and put it in a chassis that fit the shooter, then take the savings and put it into better optics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I could cut down a Remington 700 to 16" and throw it in a MDT LSS for about $1000 on the low end.  Put it is a TAC21 for about $1300.

How much would a 16" barrel action weight?  Maybe 3-3.5 lbs.  2 lbs for LSS and 3.5lbs for the TAC21 would give you a rifle that weights 5 to 7 pounds (on the top end).

It would be strong, accurate, compact and magazine fed, modular and just as light.
View Quote

Also yours would be incredibly ugly.

Go ahead and do it, your basically proving the point. You're saying you can and put in a bunch of time and work, buy a bunch of parts, and have a rifle that might be as good as the Fix off the shelf, and not to mention wont have much resale value.

It also wont likey have the 45 degree throw and caliber changes wont be as easy and again it will be just straight up just ugly
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Double
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go ahead and do it, your basically proving the point. You're saying you can and put in a bunch of time and work, buy a bunch of parts, and have a rifle that might be as good as the Fix off the shelf, and not to mention wont have much resale value.

It also wont likey have the 45 degree throw and caliber changes wont be as easy and again it will be just straight up just ugly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well sorry I am not French, so I really do not care how it looks.  Really do not think the FIX is all that pretty either.  

And how am I buying a bunch of parts?  It's a rifle and a chassis and only having it send it out to be cut and threaded.  If you think that is a lot of work, then you are lazy.  Actually, I would not have to send it out if went with the 16.5" SPS Tactical.

Having you ever heard of Rem-Age barrels?  Super easy to switch caliber and a lot more to choose from as well.  Rem-ages cost $320 and the Fix cost twice as much.

When it come to resale, why would I want to sell it?  I don't buy firearms with the intention of reselling them.  That's a moot point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I handled a Fix about a year ago and I really like the weight.   Did not shoot it, but after talking to people that have, they said go down to the farm and let ole mule kick you, will be cheaper.  Not recoil sensitive,  but I am 62 and like things on the lighter side these days.

I am still thinking about getting one and will more than likely remain that way.   My tactical bolt action is a 20" 700 heavy barrel in a Manners T2A and USO SN3 and it weighs as much as my 4 wheeler, but accurate.  

I really want to get one, but I think for the novelty of it...it would be a great packing set up...my vision of the set up would be the Fix with a Nightforce NX8 in a Geissele mount, Atlas bipod.

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well sorry I am not French, so I really do not care how it looks.  Really do not think the FIX is all that pretty either.  

And how am I buying a bunch of parts?  It's a rifle and a chassis and only having it send it out to be cut and threaded.  If you think that is a lot of work, then you are lazy.  Actually, I would not have to send it out if went with the 16.5" SPS Tactical.

Having you ever heard of Rem-Age barrels?  Super easy to switch caliber and a lot more to choose from as well.  Rem-ages cost $320 and the Fix cost twice as much.

When it come to resale, why would I want to sell it?  I don't buy firearms with the intention of reselling them.  That's a moot point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you can swipe credit card and walk out with a rifle you don't need to tweak, and would probably come out cost neutral if you sold it.  I also purchase rifles with no thought of selling them, but times and technology change.  Other than mounting a scope & suppressor and putting rounds through it I did nothing to my fix and took it on multiple hunting trips.  After the first morning with the Fix I realized that my other hunting bolt rifles needed to find a new purpose or they were going up for sale, as I can't imagine ever picking them over the fix again to go hunting.

By the time I built up previous hunting rifles, and factor in the time spent, the Fix makes a lot more sense.

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you also not factor in Resale value and liquidity when buying a car or a home?

People tend not to buy as much of something if it looks unappealing its part of human nature, hence why most designers of consumer products take aesthetics into account, it sells more. its value stays higher, you lose less money over time and hell if production stops it could become a collectable and increase in value. But jumbled together random parts of questionable performance and quality will usually be worth close to nothing to everyone but you
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much a good summation of the Fix.

It’s like taking the AR15 and bolt action and merging them together with a little Merkel (I think that’s the action) thrown in.

Right now the Sig Cross (which was supposedly thought up when one of the originators of the Fix was working at Sig) will be a “cheaper” version of the Fix.

For me the fix also takes the action of the bolt action and chassis and merges them into one like an AR15.

Currently there is also a company making bolt action AR15 and AR10 uppers, so if I didn’t go with the Sig Cross I think I would lean that way over the Fix.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Fix that I was fortunate enough to assemble in the factory with the lead engineer on the project. He walked me through the engineering challenges and features of the rifle (mine is actually classified as a pistol, with a 16 inch barrel and butt stock on it). There is a lot going on. The trigger mechanism is novel and has a counter weight to make it drop safe while being incredibly crisp and light. The receiver is optimized for specific force vectors all while being made as light as possible. The rifle is light weight, requires zero customization and shoots very very will. The cheek piece is adjustable as is the length of pull and butt pad location. Is see the rifle as a value rich tool with some serious innovation done by fresh thinking and young, ambitious engineers.

Additionally, at the price point they are backordered for at least a year, possibly much longer. The market has spoken, they want them. Sure, people will say "just as good" and brand X does the same thing... but the Fix has quite a bit of investment into it by Q. I topped mine off with a very light weight Swarovski scope and a trash panda silencer, to keep it light and quiet. The market has spoken on this product, it is in demand...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sure what this platform would have over a cut down Remington 700 in a chassis for a third of the price.   Meant for accuracy right?

Now there is the Mini Fix in 300 Blackout with an 8" barrel.  This, I do not get at all.

Thinking maybe a 6.5 Grendel would be a better choice as this would give the platform an overall smaller footprint, lighter weight and less recoil. However, it would make use of the 6.5mm superior external ballistics and still possess ample knock down power out to 600 compare to the .308 with same barrel length.

View Quote

1. Then buy a 700 and slap on a heavy chasis. The fix is 6lbs aluminum chasis with folding adjustable stock, full length rail for thermal/nvg, strongest rail attachment out there (whether or not that is needed is a different story but pretty admirable what they went through to achieve it), short bolt throw, and sleek.
2. The Mini fix is 4.75lbs and compacts down to 17". It's in the most sold out rapidly developing caliber out there with all kinds of supersonic and subsonic bullet types, loads, and BDC optics. It gives you capabilities of taking down game as quiet as it gets out to 200yds with subs or 400yds with supers- perhaps even 500yds with a dedicated professional. Most game on east coast is taken <150yds. That performance, size, weight is pretty impressive.
3. Then don't buy it? All their stuff is always sold out so must be a lot of fools out there and only one brilliant 223Rem
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem is that "just as light" part. I tried it on an SBR 700 action, AAC 300blk light profile barrel chopped to about 8.5", aluminum JTAC chassis, rail, etc. this is as it sits is heavier than my fix with way more scope on it, at 9.7 lbs. No cans the fix is still lighter, let alone a minifix. Steiner p4xi vs razor amg aren't even close in weight.

i was trying to get a mini-fix for less. Still going to buy a mini-fix. and now I have an SBR'd 700 with a fair chunk of money in it. I really like the chassis and stock, but Not the same.

i have an mdt lss
with 308 16" heavy barrel 700, way way way heavier.

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Remington Custom Shop KS Mountain Rifle weighs only 6 lbs, 6 ounces.  That is with a long 24" barrel, long action chambered in .280 Remington.  The action is blueprinted.  The sporter profile barrel has no Remington logo and is believed to be sourced from Douglas.  The tuned and fully adjustable trigger breaks crisply at 2.5 lbs (I would have it no lighter in a hunting rifle), with no creep or over travel. The Custom Shop pillar bedded the action in a Kevlar McMillan stock, which along with the barrel profile accounts for the weight reduction.  With hunting hand loads (140 grain Nosler AccuBond over RL19) it consistently shoots 3/4" five shot groups.  That 140 grain 7mm bullet at close to 3100 fps is flat shooting, carries a lot of energy a long way out (about 1200 ft. lbs. at 600 yards).

Yes, a Custom Shop build from 1987 was not cheap even then, but it is a highly accurate, light, true hunting rifle in the classic mountain/sheep rifle category, preserves classic styling, and elegance that is lacking in the uber expensive "space gun" FIX.  Not sure what they were trying to "fix", but newer is not necessarily better.

For a sniper or certain tactical situations, maybe so.  As a serious hunting rifle, I'll take a hard pass.

Curious:  what purpose does a detachable box tactical magazine serve on a true hunting rifle?  Was that FIX really designed by real hunters?  If you are a true hunter, you take your game on the first shot, might rarely need a second shot to finish off an animal, but three or more shots are never going to be needed in the field for big game.  I'll take a longer barrel for superior velocity, energy and exterior ballistics.

Shots beyond 400 yards are unethical unless you are really, really good behind the trigger.  Even with sub MOA equipment most guys cannot dope wind well enough to avoid needlessly wounding.  A more expensive rifle does not fix that. Game animals deserve better.

Just one opinion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The full size fix is for hunters who want a chassis (specifically AR grips) and fanboys/tacticool crowd.
The mini fix in 300 blk is a great little gun - very accurate, very small, very quiet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

-Extremely light
Check
-Compact
Check

-Strong
Nope
-Accurate
*audience laughter*
-Modular
(Googles “Fix aftermarket”...sigh)

It does half the shit you claim it “fixes”. A lightweight, ass kicking, novelty rifle built by a fuckhead in NH.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
A remington Short Action is 2.25lbs.
A 16 inch barrel is 2.25lbs for light contour up to 3.41 for a Remington Sendero.
Add a trigger and  MLOK 15 inch folding chassis that accepts magazines and a muzzle break.

My brother has a Fix and it's a hell of a rifle. A lightweight 3-12 Schmidt and Bender and Dead Air Nomad and it's extremely light and accurate out to 500 meters we have access to.  My Cadex is at least twice as heavy (but i love it).
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Extremely light
Check
-Compact
Check

-Strong
Nope
-Accurate
*audience laughter*
-Modular
(Googles “Fix aftermarket”...sigh)

It does half the shit you claim it “fixes”. A lightweight, ass kicking, novelty rifle built by a fuckhead in NH.
View Quote

Ok we get why you don’t like it.

Put a can on the end of a fix and it takes the recoil almost out.

Ill be getting a mini fix when they are available to backorder.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The short answer was that the issues the owner was having were not due to any problem with the gun.

The tiny bolt was awkward to manipulate (and i prefer standard size handles such as the ones on T3s and R700s), and running the action was not smooth. The cheekpiece was extremely uncomfortable, as was the butt pad. I ended up building up pads for both. It was simply an unergonomic rifle that was not comfortable to shoot or manipulate in any way, and I was not at all impressed.

As someone who shoots various rifles, and owns a couple different ones that are in chassis, I would not spend my money on one.

https://i.imgur.com/qDGuFps.jpg

I would buy a T3 and put it in a chassis that fit the shooter, then take the savings and put it into better optics.
View Quote

I have one in 6.5CM.  I had no issues with my rifle.  I got it at dealer demo pricing so I did not pay full retail.  I agree with above...I would not recommend buying this gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have one in 6.5CM.  I had no issues with my rifle.  I got it at dealer demo pricing so I did not pay full retail.  I agree with above...I would not recommend buying this gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/qDGuFps.jpg

Appears that there are equal sides on each side of the fence.

Wonder how the Sig Cross stacks up to the Fix.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
OP your proposed solution doesn’t have a rail to mount a clip on, it doesn’t take a proper double column magazine, it’s a Remington which is a portly designed and executed hunting rifle, and it’ll be very heavy.

Not that the Fix is the answer, they have their own set of problems.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#25]
If you like = buy
If you don’t like = don’t buy.
If you post on AR.15.com = try to justify your emotional investment by all means necessary.

Personally I like the concept, but doubt I’d buy one.  I have a NULA for my lightweight hunting rifle. If I didn’t maybe I’d take a look at the fix.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't hunt or shoot much bolt gun and I still want a fix or pork sword in 300BO. the round is pretty much designed to be optimized for that length. Supers are at full speed and a sub has used it's powder, so it suppresses well. The older I get the less I like heavy rifles. And for something that would be carried around a bunch on the way to and from hunting or the range and shot pretty little? Shit sign me up. The mini fix you could throw in a reasonable backpack and have a quality bolt gun that hits enough to 300 or so yards with the right ammo. Not much country east of the mississippi that wouldn't be enough gun
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't hunt or shoot much bolt gun and I still want a fix or pork sword in 300BO. the round is pretty much designed to be optimized for that length. Supers are at full speed and a sub has used it's powder, so it suppresses well. The older I get the less I like heavy rifles. And for something that would be carried around a bunch on the way to and from hunting or the range and shot pretty little? Shit sign me up. The mini fix you could throw in a reasonable backpack and have a quality bolt gun that hits enough to 300 or so yards with the right ammo. Not much country east of the mississippi that wouldn't be enough gun
View Quote

Has anyone sbr'd a Ruger Ranch? This .300 weighs 5.9 pounds, looks like you could go to about 10 inches (probably 5lbs or under then) if you didn't want to trim the stock. Throw on an RMR and a K can and you'd have a very compact bolt .300 for a lot less.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Has anyone sbr'd a Ruger Ranch? This .300 weighs 5.9 pounds, looks like you could go to about 10 inches (probably 5lbs or under then) if you didn't want to trim the stock. Throw on an RMR and a K can and you'd have a very compact bolt .300 for a lot less.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html
View Quote

Yeah I’ve seen that done. I’ve seen them cut to I think 8” and the forend trimmed for the can.

At the end of the day it’s still a Ruger though. So while it would accomplish the same general idea, not something I’m interested in.

Arguably a Les baer and HiPoint both reliably sling 45acp down range at paper targets. So I could probably get away with either snd my life would be the same. But I don’t have a hipoint in my avatar
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
No left hand version ?
Innovative ?
Kick your dads rifle ass ?
A for innovative advertising.
My dad is 83 and still carries around a sporterized 03 springfield that he bought for $50 hard earned dollars in 1952.
The only rifle he owns.
I showed him the "Fix" and then showed him the price.
After a little chuckle, then looking up at his old Springfield in the gun rack, His only comment was "Some things just don't need fixing".
You have to give credit, where credit is due.
Q has cornered the pay more for less market.

SJC

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#31]
The Fix is better than the sum of its parts.  What I mean is that in one rifle you can have a lightweight compact 16 inch 308 that fits in a back pack and can kill effectively to most hunting distances.  But with the quick change barrel you can swap that out to a 26 inch Proof or Bartlein 6.5mm or 6mm CM for more weight and longer range.  It can fill the hunting and precision rifle functions as well as the tactical back pack function people seem to want.  It looks like the Sig cross will do the same.  And there are custom actions like the Defiance anTI that will be able to do it too.  But the Fix and an extra barrel is an off the shelf solution that was first to market.  If you've never handled one, you should.  They're tiny, thin and light.  Neat package.  

I don't own one but my brother does.  I chose to go with multiple rifles and he just buys multiple barrels.   Going with The Fix is a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I have doubts about the execution of the rifle but on paper it’s solid. Folder? I like that. SR-25 mags? Yes please. AR ergonomics? Natural for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
 It can fill the hunting and precision rifle functions as well as the tactical back pack function people seem to want.   They're tiny, thin and light.  Neat package.  
Going with The Fix is a lot cheaper.
View Quote

As I get older I'm more inclined to buy quality over quantity, and I'm less enjoying the physical amount of "stuff" that goes along with shooting. You end up needing multiple bags, boxes, gear, etc to go shoot or enjoy a trip. I really see the appeal (but don't yet have the need) for a 308 that fits in a reasonable space and has everything you need right there for a full hunt or woods trip.

guns that shoot larger than their actual size are becoming a favorite of mine. I shoot my 365xl with red dot almost as well as my 5" 1911s but with less size/weight to deal with. I use a glock in a Flux brace for travel because it's easier to actually have with me than a broken down or folded AR in 300BO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It just isn't a shootable rifle. Yeah, it goes bang, but isn't really good at the rest of the parts of "shooting". I equate it to having a vehicle that sucks at driving.

View Quote

what about if I'm the kind of shooter that dials in at the start of the season, shoots at a few game animals, and likely doesn't go through more than a box of ammo a season?
Or I want to travel with something compact that's probably ~49 state legal if you replace the threaded end?

seems like it may be fine for those rolls

Edit: I skimmed this page here about 50 state gun laws. Quick search makes me think if you had the Q without the threaded barrel and a less than 10 round mag you'd be good anywhere in the US. Hmm, desire to own one intensifies
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You should probably shoot more.

Most bolt action rifles are 50 state legal, and I'm not seeing how that is a unique benefit of owning a Q Fix.
View Quote

@Skg_Mre_Lght I shoot a shit ton. But not super interested in long range or hunting personally, I would like to eventually own something decent that I could put to use as needed.

I was thinking the fix might be a good niche gun for extended travel or RV living, which is something I am very interested in. I currently have a lever gun that seems to be legal everywhere, but it's slower to load than a mag fed rifle and doesn't fit in as small of a bag
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish Blaser would take a crack at this and make a straight pull with a folder that’s optimized for low weight and a 20 round magazine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn’t really get it until I started listening to Kevin talk about why he made it the way it is and how he uses it. It’s not made to be for everyone. He does a ton of shooting out of or around vehicles so being compact was necessary. A standard bolt gun can be pretty cumbersome even with a 16” barrel.

I think the OP is really glossing over the weight difference which was a main driver of this design. Turning the receiver into the chassis was brilliant and everyone would do it if it was cheap. The large mags are cool but honestly it probably would have been fine with AICS mags.

Really interested to see one in the new 8.6 Blackout.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
AICS mags are crap but AW mags would have been a strong choice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
AICS mags are crap but AW mags would have been a strong choice.
View Quote

What’s wrong with AICS mags?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I handled one at Media Day when they launched them. My initial impression was it was a neat and innovate answer to a question that no one asked.

Too light for PRS stuff, goofy form factor for a mountain rifle and all the normal issues that come with a new design from a small manufacturer.

If people like like the gun and enjoy it then good for them. For me it fills no particular need I can't fill better with something else.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What’s wrong with AICS mags?
View Quote

They are too damn tall and a pain in the ass to load.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#45]
My experience with the one example I've shot a bunch of times:

1.  The rear but pad is tiny and narrow so recoil isn't great.  They sell a larger pad and if it was mine I would purchase and use it.

2.  The small bolt handle has a short throw and requires more leverage than my Cadex or Origin.  Also specifically Sellier and Belloit 6.5CM 140grain required a rubber mallet to open after every few rounds.  Other brands of 6.5CM or other calibers worked fine but stiff.

3.  The trigger is heavy but clean.  Measured 4lbs which isn't terrible for a pistol or AR but when coming from 1.5lb-2lb rifles it seems heavy.

Barrels and calibers were 16 inch factory 6.5cm. 20 inch Proof Carbon 6.5cm, 24 inch Proof Carbon 6mm CM and an 18 inch Bartlein 308.  All rounds fired with a Dead Air Nomad and S&B Polar 3-12 P4F.

The rifle was submoa in all configurations with match ammo shooting paper and steel from 100-500 meters off a bench with Atlas bipod.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I handled one at Media Day when they launched them. My initial impression was it was a neat and innovate answer to a question that no one asked.

Too light for PRS stuff, goofy form factor for a mountain rifle and all the normal issues that come with a new design from a small manufacturer.

If people like like the gun and enjoy it then good for them. For me it fills no particular need I can't fill better with something else.

View Quote

The 'goofy form' actually makes it great as a mountain/hunting rifle.  I have a 16 inch version, and with the stock folded it straps to my pack easily and doesn't snag at all when I'm hiking in.  Or, if I want it in hand, it's weight makes it much easier to carry one-handed for long periods of time.  I simply do not hunt with other guns now, but I also don't do anything but hunt with it.  Target shooting isn't fun with it, and if I wanted a 50 state legal gun I'd just get a semi auto shotgun or the Ruger scout rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The 'goofy form' actually makes it great as a mountain/hunting rifle.  I have a 16 inch version, and with the stock folded it straps to my pack easily and doesn't snag at all when I'm hiking in.  Or, if I want it in hand, it's weight makes it much easier to carry one-handed for long periods of time.  I simply do not hunt with other guns now, but I also don't do anything but hunt with it.  Target shooting isn't fun with it, and if I wanted a 50 state legal gun I'd just get a semi auto shotgun or the Ruger scout rifle.

View Quote

I didnt mean goofy as in bad I meant goofy as in totally different than most everything else out there. Most mountain guns are not chassis based and that is the closet thing a fix resembles. Folding stocks with adjustable shit everywhere are failure points that a traditional lightweight carbon stock just doesnt have. Some people care about that and some don't. I was just pointing out that my impression of the Fix was that it doesn't really answer any pressing need I know of.

That doesnt mean its not cool or not a good rifle. It does mean IMO its not some revolutionary solution to anything. Which is what Q was shouting from the rooftops at the time I saw it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top