Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2018 8:55:12 PM EDT
I have an idea for a gun feature that I would like to explore, though at the moment it is just an idea, but I have a feeling it might be worth something, who should I talk to about coming up with this idea and even seeing if it is viable?

ETA: the reason I have this kind of question is it has something to do with circumventing laws in bad states, and I’m not even positive it is mechanically possible, even though it is quite basic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an idea for a gun feature that I would like to explore, though at the moment it is just an idea, but I have a feeling it might be worth something, who should I talk to about coming up with this idea and even seeing if it is viable?

ETA: the reason I have this kind of question is it has something to do with circumventing laws in bad states, and I’m not even positive it is mechanically possible, even though it is quite basic.
View Quote

CoC
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You should make one and test it.  If it works, see a patent attorney.

Don't publish pics or describe it until you do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

CoC
View Quote
Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that the sig brace, bullet button, or the fin grip were non COC.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should make one and test it.  If it works, see a patent attorney.

Don't publish pics or describe it until you do.
View Quote
Thanks, this might be a bit difficult to make for me since it involves hardened steels and some small parts, but I’ll do my best. Perhaps a scaled up version will be easier to make as a demonstration object.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Getcha a 3-D printer and print one, see if it hand cycles.  If that works, then see about machining/welding one.

I build stuff out of Legos so I don't patent anything, just freely release it.

Don't patent a single-stack feed hopper, I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Getcha a 3-D printer and print one, see if it hand cycles.  If that works, then see about machining/welding one.

View Quote
Aah, that’s an interesting concept, let me know when you have a working product, I would love to see it.

My idea has something to do with making an AR legal in CA, CT, and MA, though I think I’ll have to consult with the ATF and a attorney to see if it works around the law the way I want it to.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that the sig brace, bullet button, or the fin grip were non COC.
View Quote
They aren't but they have also been approved by the BATF so they are not circumventing any laws.

You said in your first post it may be something to circumvent laws, which is the violation of COC
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Aah, that’s an interesting concept, let me know when you have a working product, I would love to see it.

My idea has something to do with making an AR legal in CA, CT, and MA, though I think I’ll have to consult with the ATF and a attorney to see if it stays within works around the law the way I want it to.
View Quote
Fixed your verbiage that is triggering the snowflakes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My idea has something to do with making an AR legal in CA, CT, and MA, though I think I'll have to consult with the ATF and a attorney to see if it works around the law the way I want it to.
View Quote
If this is something that'll need an ATF approval letter to convince most people to buy it, then you should go ahead and write ATF and ask them. If they say yes, that'll probably eliminate your need to discuss it with an attorney. You could then move straight to prototype development. If they object, they'll generally cite their specific objections, which means less attorney billable hours.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fixed your verbiage that is triggering the snowflakes.
View Quote
I don't see any snowflakes in this conversation and it is the systems rules that state discussing potential illegal items that is against COC not those who point it out to the OP
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Aah, that’s an interesting concept, let me know when you have a working product, I would love to see it.

My idea has something to do with making an AR legal in CA, CT, and MA, though I think I’ll have to consult with the ATF and a attorney to see if it works around the law the way I want it to.
View Quote
Can I ask how or what it is complying to? Each state has different and specific laws for explaining what an Assault Weapon is. You can IM if you want. I'm fairly knowledgeable in CA laws.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't see any snowflakes in this conversation and it is the systems rules that state discussing potential illegal items that is against COC not those who point it out to the OP
View Quote

You're nitpicking the terminology he used. You're absolutely acting like a snowflake. I'm sorry you cannot see that.

Smart people don't patent and market ideas that are clear violations of the law. While the terminology he chose may have led you to believe he was trying to violate or help people violate laws, the context that it was in sends a different message. So clearly it was just poor choice of terminology... of course it takes common sense to see that. You either lack common sense, or you have it and you chose not to use it, instead acting like a snowflake...
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're nitpicking the terminology he used. You're absolutely acting like a snowflake. I'm sorry you cannot see that.

Smart people don't patent and market ideas that are clear violations of the law. While the terminology he chose may have led you to believe he was trying to violate or help people violate laws, the context that it was in sends a different message. So clearly it was just poor choice of terminology... of course it takes common sense to see that. You either lack common sense, or you have it and you chose not to use it, instead acting like a snowflake...
View Quote
Awe BS, I don't really give a shit what he does, I am just reminding him of what I have seen done in the past on this system when someone mentions what they are doing may circumvent the laws, so go somewhere else and pout about what I said.

As a licensed manufacture that makes NFA items, you can rest assured I am not a snowflake.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Awe BS, I don't really give a shit what he does, I am just reminding him of what I have seen done in the past on this system when someone mentions what they are doing may circumvent the laws, so go somewhere else and pout about what I said.

As a licensed manufacture that makes NFA items, you can rest assured I am not a snowflake.
View Quote
When multiple people say the same thing maybe it's time to stop and take a look in the mirror. Simply being a licensed manufacturer doesn't mean you can't be a snowflake. Some of the conduct I see between manufacturers mirrors that of a snowflake; walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's probably a duck, no? Actions/conduct speak louder than words, and your conduct in this thread says a lot more than the futile words you're trying to defend yourself with.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When multiple people say the same thing maybe it's time to stop and take a look in the mirror. Simply being a licensed manufacturer doesn't mean you can't be a snowflake. Some of the conduct I see between manufacturers mirrors that of a snowflake; walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's probably a duck, no? Actions/conduct speak louder than words, and your conduct in this thread says a lot more than the futile words you're trying to defend yourself with.
View Quote
Okay.

You point is?

Just as a side note, it is easy to get a product patented that may be legal based on the BATF and can still circumvent state laws and be illegal.

I am fine if you feel I am a snowflake, what you feel or think really has no bearing on me.  you are simply another name on a endless list on a computer screen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just as a side note, it is easy to get a product patented that may be legal based on the BATF and can still circumvent state laws and be illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why would a person do that? Sink a ton of money into the patent process on an item that is virtually unmarketable because it's illegal sounds like business-suicide to me... but hey, it's a free world!!!

Quoted:I am fine if you feel I am a snowflake, what you feel or think really has no bearing on me.  you are simply another name on a endless list on a computer screen.
As are you! Just another troll on an endless list of others stirring the pot for no reason, no gain, and not helping the discussion.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you need parenting ideas for guns?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh Jesus Christ, he meant to type patenting.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why would a person do that? Sink a ton of money into the patent process on an item that is virtually unmarketable because it's illegal sounds like business-suicide to me... but hey, it's a free world!!!

As are you! Just another troll on an endless list of others stirring the pot for no reason, no gain, and not helping the discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If it is legal in 40 out of 50 states, it could still be a very lucrative product to the person that holds the patent on it.  My partner and I sell products to people located in states where they are legal and there are other states we don't and can't ship items to.  There are tens of thousands of items/ideas/plans that have been patented and never been marketed or built.  Getting a patent is really not as expensive as some seem to think it is.

The filing fee is $130 for a small entity and drawings typically cost $100 to $125 per page, so a high quality provisional patent application for a mechanical or electrical device can typically be prepared and filed for $2,500 to $3,000.
Cost to patent items

As far as the OP, just talk with an attorney versed in patent and firearm laws to see what they say.

As far as being a troll, nope, not anymore than you are and your contribution to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This might help:

Click here!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If it is legal in 40 out of 50 states, it could still be a very lucrative product to the person that holds the patent on it.  My partner and I sell products to people located in states where they are legal and there are other states we don't and can't ship items to.  There are tens of thousands of items/ideas/plans that have been patented and never been marketed or built.  Getting a patent is really not as expensive as some seem to think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're nullifying your entire argument that this is a COC violation then... if the item is legal in 40 of 50 states then it's not a violation of COC.

Quoted:Cost to patent items

As far as the OP, just talk with an attorney versed in patent and firearm laws to see what they say.

As far as being a troll, nope, not anymore than you are and your contribution to this thread.
Provisional patent =/= a full patent

Full patents, with good, meaningful prior-art searches, and money to defend the patent if it were to be challenged is well into the 5-figure range, if not in the 6-figure range... if you're operating on provisional patents you're likely operating under a false sense of security.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]
first you should talk to someone to design it for you... I can help with that... then determine how much to make it...etc... but before you talk to anyone make up a NDA... or non-disclosure agreement so that the design is 100% yours... once designed you can start talking about patents
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
NDA just provides for civil remedies (court-ordered punishment) for disclosure violations. It doesn't literally protect your IP. That's what a patent does.

But sure, have a NDA handy. Can't hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top