Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAC21500:
Didn't realize we were at the bottom of 49

If anyone cares:

MDR 5.56 Update and Warranty Break-in Info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5dm8L9ElpQ&feature=share
View Quote
TL;DW crowd:
"5.56 forward ejection doesn't work right. Surveying 5.56 pre-orders to see if they want guns w/o ejection chutes in November or guns w/ejection chutes in February."
"No more quality problems, really!"
"No more break-in needed, really!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:55:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2018 8:12:54 PM EST by HeavyArtillery]
I've been happy overall with mine. I do have the issue where I can't easily release the bolt using the right-side charging handle. The left-side charging handle releases easily (HK slap) but I have to pull the right-side one back as if I'm charging the rifle then release it (no HK slap). I could send it in but I usually use the left-side handle. I'll add this issue to the list if I have to send the rifle back to DT.

I have the 6-position gas valve and use position 1 when suppressed and position 3 without the suppressor. This has been working great for me with my usual ammo (PMC 150gr or Federal 168gr). I probably won't get the 5.56 conversion since I already have an Aug & X95.

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:34:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:07:47 AM EST
Interesting Nic only mentioned months of release not which year, leaving some wiggle room for the likely delays.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:53:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aussie_E:
Interesting Nic only mentioned months of release not which year, leaving some wiggle room for the likely delays.
View Quote
Depressingly accurate observation!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:37:26 PM EST
So there is a comment on one of the newer YouTube videos that suggests they're working on a new 308 extractor that is 40% larger and will be a running change on new guns and will be a free upgrade on older guns.

Great news if true. I see the small extractor as the single biggest and nearly fatal flaw with the gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:30:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
So there is a comment on one of the newer YouTube videos that suggests they're working on a new 308 extractor that is 40% larger and will be a running change on new guns and will be a free upgrade on older guns.

Great news if true. I see the small extractor as the single biggest and nearly fatal flaw with the gun.
View Quote
Would be great...I think that along with the 6-position gas plug will solve many of the reliability issues reported...now...a larger extractor will require a new bolt as well....
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:40:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Would be great...I think that along with the 6-position gas plug will solve many of the reliability issues reported...now...a larger extractor will require a new bolt as well....
View Quote
On an ar style bolt yes but not on the mdr.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:48:45 PM EST

View Quote
I've been thinking about this as well and they may be able to get by with the existing bolt by extending the extractor around the edge of the bolt face so that it resides between the bolt's rim and the inside of the groove around the cartidge's base. While it works in my mind's eye, I don't know how robust it would be, but if it is 40% larger, that means that it would gain about 20% of the original's width on either side, so it may be strong enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:02:21 PM EST
That is correct...my bad...I keep forgetting that the MDR has a unique bolt design. Should be interesting.

I would reckon by Spring/Early Summer 2019...the bugs will be ironed out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:17:06 PM EST
The issue I saw that I just now remembered is that there is only so much room in the barrel extension. I'd be surprised if a 40% larger extractor would fit in there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:39:44 AM EST
View Quote
Funny enough...

We'll see if that holds up, but he's committed now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:41:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2018 7:55:25 AM EST by Aussie_E]
Another unsatisfied beta tester, another broken Member Developed Rifle and another example of Desert Tech's exemplary customer service:

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13385.0
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:53:33 AM EST
In their defense the 2 times I've sent it back they sent me a shipping label without any coaxing. I'm not sure why others aren't getting the same treatment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:04:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2018 9:04:45 AM EST by thehun06]
In their defense the 2 times I've sent it back they sent me a shipping label without any coaxing. I'm not sure why others aren't getting the same treatment.
View Quote
Who knows...maybe their service repairs are dipping into their reserve cash now...however...that guy's problem is 100% a design flaw (not enough material) as well as improper final QC process on making sure pins fit smoothly and effortlessly...DT should pay that guy's return fees.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:12:47 AM EST

Who knows...maybe their service repairs are dipping into their reserve cash now...however...that guy's problem is 100% a design flaw (not enough material) as well as improper final QC process on making sure pins fit smoothly and effortlessly...DT should pay that guy's return fees.
View Quote
Oh I know. Mine has the same issue currently.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:21:21 AM EST
Whomever initiates the recall on consumer goods (like vehicles) should start looking into the MDR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:31:48 AM EST

Oh I know. Mine has the same issue currently.
View Quote
What...yours has the same problem?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:52:18 PM EST

What...yours has the same problem?
View Quote
Yep. Cracked rear takedown pin hole. It was broken when I got it back from the last trip.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:55:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2018 12:56:03 PM EST by thehun06]

Yep. Cracked rear takedown pin hole. It was broken when I got it back from the last trip.
View Quote
DT...come on...don't do this to yourself with silly quality stuff like this... it does not make us believers. What is the solution on this I wonder....
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:26:25 PM EST

DT...come on...don't do this to yourself with silly quality stuff like this... it does not make us believers. What is the solution on this I wonder....
View Quote
Tavor 7?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:18:35 PM EST

View Quote
Ho Lee Schitt!!!! That'll be fixed by another "running change" I guess - this is all a conspiracy to make it sound like I was wrong to tell folks to wait for "Gen 2" because Delphi Tech (now on what, "Gen 1-C"?) will have "Gen 1-Y" instead
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:36:40 PM EST

Tavor 7?
View Quote
Once it is released...100%
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:46:35 PM EST
From late June till now there seems to be just shy of 250 rma's. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:56:13 PM EST
From late June till now there seems to be just shy of 250 rma's. Not sure if that's good or bad.
View Quote
Where is this rather proprietary and internal information coming from?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:04:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/7/2018 9:11:45 PM EST by newguy2k3]
Originally Posted By kfeltenberger:

Where is this rather proprietary and internal information coming from?
View Quote
The difference between the 2nd and finally 3rd rma's I received.

ETA: I may be able to dig through my emails and find the original.

Eta2 just short of 600 since the original in 9/17
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:31:50 PM EST

View Quote
Interesting, though I don't know whether I would put a lot of stock in it given that the RMA sequence covers all their products and may include the gas plugs that people (who didn't purchase them) called in to receive. That said, this is all speculation without knowing how their internal processes work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:57:51 PM EST
I'm sure it does cover all their product lines which would be the mdr, SRS, hti and probably suppressors that are the most likely to need rma's issued.

Maybe one day I'll have a gun that meets expectations or is at least reliable.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:18:39 AM EST

View Quote
Interesting facts for our consideration, thanks!

Very sorry to hear your MDR continues to be a headache
Link Posted: Today 9:58:12 AM EST
Inrangetv just released their review. Seems like it went as expected.

https://youtu.be/DabLcqavXJ0

(Link since I don't think I can embed as a non-team member)
Link Posted: Today 11:13:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: Today 11:13:42 AM EST by thehun06]
Yeah...I was hoping by now they would have figured this out...but it appears...even with the 6 position gas...the 308 MDR will remain a niche gun for all the tacticool range ninjas with high disposable incomes...

The fact that you can't adjust gas on the fly really hurts this ammo pickiness problem...gas adjustments should be made without removing the handguard...I think that is one major Achilles heel in this platform...with a FAL...you at least get to go up or down relatively easily.

I think at this point a KelTec RFB is a better option (outside potentially of the Tavor 7 once released).
Link Posted: Today 11:30:11 AM EST
Yeah...I was hoping by now they would have figured this out...but it appears...even with the 6 position gas...the 308 MDR will remain a niche gun for all the tacticool range ninjas with high disposable incomes...

The fact that you can't adjust gas on the fly really hurts this ammo pickiness problem...gas adjustments should be made without removing the handguard...I think that is one major Achilles heel in this platform...with a FAL...you at least get to go up or down relatively easily.

I think at this point a KelTec RFB is a better option (outside potentially of the Tavor 7 once released).
View Quote
If that’s its Achilles heel, the MDR must have as many legs as a centipede by now.
Link Posted: Today 11:41:22 AM EST
Looks like a fair, thorough and thoughtful review which lines up with my experiences pre and post 6pos gas plug.

It has a narrow operating window between short stroking/ejection chute jams and stuck cases.

Polishing and chamfering the entrance to the ejection chute widens that range on the low end and pretty much fixed all those issues for me.

I think lack of extractor surface area is the fatal flaw to the design. A wider extractor should widen the window on the top end. Supposedly they're working on that though.
Link Posted: Today 11:51:53 AM EST
We shall see...
Page / 50
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top