Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The problem was that they announced that it would have the forward ejection which was a keynote feature.  If, and I stress IF, they ran into production/refinement issues post-announcement, the very same people who are whipping them like a dead horse would be doing the same thing to them because it didn't have forward ejection.  The system obviously works because people have rifles that function as advertised.  There has to be something else other than design that is at fault here.
View Quote
I could be wrong but I think the fatal flaw was they announced it way too soon then compounded that with preorders that where far too premature. I don’t think it was as far along as they were playing up in the early days. So they where stuck with having to develop the rifle with many challenging features from the forward eject to a common receiver for 7.62 & 5.56 and get production ready simultaneously. Then when inevitably (watch enough c&rsenal or forgotten weapons and you come to realize all military rifles for over a hundred years now tend to run into developmental problems) they ran into issues they had to lie and come up with bullshit to buy time like the NATO testing shit. Also by pretending it was ready to go and taking pre orders they locked themselves into a box where they couldn’t modify it very much without creating further uproar since then it changes the product people already paid for and would make their stack of lies more evident than they already where. Hopefully they get it right eventually but for a small boutique business like them with an expensive product your name is important and they have devalued that bit of their property quite a bit with all of this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I only waited a year for mine and was at the range the week I got it. I guess shooting for some isn't as much a priority as collecting. Even though I had traded mine within a month I must say it did get me excited/interested in shooting again after a long layoff from shooting, if that's all I got from it (as well as the LMT MWS I traded it for) I am forever grateful to DT. It had so much promise, hopefully it will live up to it all in the end.
View Quote
As thehun06 said, I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet do to other commitments and a heavy workload for my classes.  While I hope and expect the MDRs to take over for my AKs, so long as I have something that I know is reliable and works I'm not in a hurry to cut other things that have more long term importance just to go and turn $250 into spent brass and holes in paper.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am in the same pickle as you were...do I trade off my trusty LMT MWS for one of these 308 bullpups or not....time will tell...
View Quote
LMT MWS is a keeper. Already have 3 barrels for it and would like to get another (338 Federal). Love multical the support for it as well as all the aftermarket parts. Since getting it I have upgraded the trigger, trigger guard, pistol grip and stock. Can't do that currently with the MDR.

After a couple of range trips with the MDR, I realized I wasn't 25 anymore and wouldn't be humping a 308 battle rifle that is over 10lbs with mag and optics around . I needed more of a static platform not a agile compact Bullpup.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...I've decided to give a SCAR17 a try so putting my LMT up for trade for one...we shall see...might regret that decision.

I love the fact how easily I can clean the chamber and swap barrels on the LMT (if needed).
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up my pre-order FDE .308 MDR today, but it'll be a while before I have time to get to a range to see if I got a dud or not. The hand guard retaining pin capture wire is very tight, had to press it back a bit with a screwdriver and tap the pin out with the torque wrench to retract and again to seat it when assembled.

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the mag release stiff?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, compared to my Tavor and AR pattern rifles anyways but this one is nowhere near as stiff as I've read reports of. It's not unreasonably difficult to push with a single finger from either side or the trigger style release at the magazine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Good. Maybe they are getting better at it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the mag release stiff?
View Quote
Give it a good look over. When I received mine one of the pins for the ejector assembly was sheared.  Other people had pins walking out from the magazine release counter balance and found the pin in the bottom of the receiver.   In my opion its a fairly soft shooting gun, that being compared with my 20in Maten with a slash heavy buffer.  I will also state that my rifle shot ammo just fine out of the rifle in the suppressed setting with out having a suppressor,  that was with Remington 150gr core-lok  and some STG 58 (when the stg58 wouldn't get stuck in the chamber)  I would recommend staying away from 7.62 Nato ammo made out of the US.

Jesse.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I see big daddy unlimited is showing them as in stock. I’ve been “next on the list” for my preorder for 6 months now. Don’t want to cancel as it seems no one gets their money back either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
That is where I have a big problem with the MDR...it shouldnt be this picky with ammo...period.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m still waiting on my group buy refund from 6+ weeks ago.  I talked with him again on Friday and he was supposed to get back with me Saturday.  He seems like a nice guy and I’m trying to be understanding, but the next call will be less friendly than this one.  I shouldn’t have to call multiple times and send half a dozen emails to get a refund from this mess.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is where I have a big problem with the MDR...it shouldnt be this picky with ammo...period.
View Quote
Yes and no.   Say what you want to say.  You did make a interesting comment over on the Bullpup Forum.  Say that the rifle shouldn't have a 7.62 NATO cut chamber if its stamped .308.  In the same regards one shouldn't expect all 7.62 nato ammo not to have issues in a .308 chambered gun.    Cant win for losing on the MDR and the chamber.  I personal would prefer a NATO cut chamber then a .308 one just for the ability to free range of all the surplus ammo.  If the rifle has issues shooting .308 ammo out of it. Then yes there is problems.

I have not looked at what the .308 and 7.62 max and min dimensions for the chamber cut is for the neck,  But I feel that the neck could use a little extra material removed, once the shells started to expand to the 2.012" area that is when the rims started to become damaged   once it get the 2.015 for expended case length all bets where off on extraction.   And this was all from 7.62 NATO STG 58 ammo
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not disagree but .308 chamber shouldn't have a problem running 7.62x51...especially when the rifle is designated from the manufacturer as a battle rifle...that is all I am saying.

You should be able to use 7.62x51 in a 308 chamber....you shouldn't use 308 in a 7.62x51 chamber.

I do not have experience with the Stg58...only the Malaysian L2A2 with my LMT...and it eats it like a boss with decent accuracy actually. Usually I just use Aguila 7.62x51 in the LMT.

I am happy to see reports of MDRs not choking trickling in here and there...that is a great sign...
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that given all their hype about its rigorous military testing and how it’s being demoed to military customers, it’s pretty reasonable to expect it to shoot 7.62 military ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think that given all their hype about its rigorous military testing and how it’s being demoed to military customers, it’s pretty reasonable to expect it to shoot 7.62 military ammo.
View Quote
For sure. If it was marketed as a precision rifle I'd be willing to give it a pass on being a picky eater. Their justification for the long creepy trigger was that it's a fighting gun. Even more severe is that the stuck cases aren't a simple rack the bolt and clear type malfunction. They require a tool to clear which to me is a more concerning level malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Tool...a wooden rod with a hammer...

I have thought long and hard to bite the bullet and trade my LMT MWS for a MDR. Put it through its paces and see if it breaks with me or not...everytime I want to do it...I am reminded that my LMT eats Malaysian crap ammo on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I say tool in the general sense. If you don't have a cleaning rod or similar you're done until you get one. It's a failure that you're not going to correct with just your hands.

ETA maybe they'll offer an attachment to keep a stuck case clearing rod right on the gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I know what you meant. Just poking a little fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Update from Desert Tech:

Desert Tech MDR Update

TLDR: 6 position gas valve will be a standard feature, it will be free to anyone who has an MDR, and you will be credited if you have already purchased one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Update from Desert Tech:

Desert Tech MDR Update

TLDR: 6 position gas valve will be a standard feature, it will be free to anyone who has an MDR, and you will be credited if you have already purchased one.
View Quote
I saw that. The 6 position is good as that should help with some ammo issues. Bore obstruction was good but the drop test concerns me on the polymer strength. I really want to know how many stoppages happened in the 10k rounds
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Still standing by for that 19"+ model in 6.5CM; in a proven reliably platform that shoots 1 MOA or better.  Considering what a bumpy ride the entire MDR ride has been, I've stopped following it, and this is the first time in months I've even looked at an MDR related thread.  From the looks of it, my offering of interest is year(s) away still (if ever).

Ah well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s july
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]
placed an order for mdr in march 2018 with a delivery date of jun 23 2018, from jun 23 to july7 it was sent to my FFL , during the time I ordered a 6.5 creedmoor barrel from a 3rd party barrel maker got the barrel last week in june , i know people have been waiting for mdr for a while but i got one in a 4 month wait time not too bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
placed an order for mdr in march 2018 with a delivery date of jun 23 2018, from jun 23 to july7 it was sent to my FFL , during the time I ordered a 6.5 creedmoor barrel from a 3rd party barrel maker got the barrel last week in june , i know people have been waiting for mdr for a while but i got one in a 4 month wait time not too bad.
View Quote
Sure,  now that they are out and dealers are being taken care of first.  The problem is they lied about timeframes for years, used customers as beta testers, and screwed over the group buy participants after saying they would be taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I am still trying to get my fucking deposit back from the group buy pre-order....gonna make one more attempt this week then will pursue other options
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am still trying to get my fucking deposit back from the group buy pre-order....gonna make one more attempt this week then will pursue other options
View Quote
@sgt_p
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got mine yesterday after a couple phone conversations, several emails, a few im’s, and finally a very blunt final email.  This was over the course of several months.  Jon seems like a nice guy when talking on the phone, but getting a refund was unnecessarily difficult.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Got mine yesterday after a couple phone conversations, several emails, a few im’s, and finally a very blunt final email.  This was over the course of several months.  Jon seems like a nice guy when talking on the phone, but getting a refund was unnecessarily difficult.
View Quote
Took me a couple months and a dozen or so emails/IMs.  This was over a year ago, but how on earth is communication that difficult?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#30]
and that is why I don't do group buys and pre-orders cause pre-orders are money for the widget/ startup capital!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Took me a couple months and a dozen or so emails/IMs.  This was over a year ago, but how on earth is communication that difficult?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to take "Don't have the money!" for $2500 Alex.

I doubt there's a communication issue, I expect the poor schmuck who organized the Group Buy and forwarded everyone's money to Desertion Types is equally desperately trying to get his/their money back - probably with success rates equal to or below that of our own members.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Tim from Military Arms Channel mentions in his latest MDR video the 556 kits are out, is that statement true or is he mistaken?

New OSS HX QD762 Silencer and MDR
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tim from Military Arms Channel mentions in his latest MDR video the 556 kits are out, is that statement true or is he mistaken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1r5a_SZBc
View Quote
I've seen one in person here in Montana, apparently a company here is already selling them, or the complete .223 Wylde MDR at least.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've seen one in person here in Montana, apparently a company here is already selling them, or the complete .223 Wylde MDR at least.
View Quote
You know what you saw or didn't see, so I'm not going to discuss that or the fact that there's been no announcement that they're shipping.  Beyond that, I think whoever created the website you linked to made some programming mistakes as they have "4" units available and that's regardless of the color or caliber chosen; black or FDE, or .308, .223, or .300BLK.  I think they're just "jumping the gun".
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Coworker brought in his MDR this morning to let me handle it. Holy hell is that thing tail heavy! Feels like someone crushed an M1 Garand and stuffed it in the ass end of the stock.
I asked the coworker if he hid a concrete block back there.

Looks well made though. The length of the mag release where it catches the mag body seems to be the problem with it sticking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#36]
All bullups are more biased towards the rear. In a way...a great thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You know what you saw or didn't see, so I'm not going to discuss that or the fact that there's been no announcement that they're shipping.  Beyond that, I think whoever created the website you linked to made some programming mistakes as they have "4" units available and that's regardless of the color or caliber chosen; black or FDE, or .308, .223, or .300BLK.  I think they're just "jumping the gun".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, 5.56 cases were coming out, and I talked to the owner about it. He mentioned having bought it through Montana Tactical. Either he made the conversion himself and lied, he bought it elsewhere and lied as to where, or that's where he got it. I have no money in this game, but for those looking for a conversion kit, that seems to be a place to start. For what it might matter, Montana Tactical seems to have a decent local reputation.

Quoted:
That's what I've always loved about bullpup designs... they can be comfortably one-handed once shouldered. The stock contact against the shoulder acts as one point of contact, the firing hand as another, with the majority of the weight between the two points. Pulled away from the shoulder, the muzzle tends to want to rise, while with a traditional layout the muzzle tends to drop when single-handed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've had Bullpups.  The MDR feels like it has a chunk of tungsten in the ass end.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Well it is a 308...just like a AR10 vs AR15...a proper, quality AR10 will be heavier than a similar AR15.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, 5.56 cases were coming out, and I talked to the owner about it. He mentioned having bought it through Montana Tactical. Either he made the conversion himself and lied, he bought it elsewhere and lied as to where, or that's where he got it. I have no money in this game, but for those looking for a conversion kit, that seems to be a place to start. For what it might matter, Montana Tactical seems to have a decent local reputation.
View Quote
According to someone who is known to work for DT, no .223 kits have shipped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

According to someone who is known to work for DT, no .223 kits have shipped.
View Quote
Are kits going to ship before / with / after complete .223 rifles?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are kits going to ship before / with / after complete .223 rifles?
View Quote
I don't know, but logic would dictate that they won't be shipping kits until all the backorders are filled.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't know, but logic would dictate that they won't be shipping kits until all the backorders are filled.
View Quote
Filling backorders that are already paid for doesn't bring in more money...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Filling backorders that are already paid for doesn't bring in more money...
View Quote
Well, at least it would be in line with previous behavior.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Alrighty another 300 rounds of hornady down and I had two issues, both look like a double feed. Both happened on the same mag. It was a magpul grey follower 308 mag. Not sure if that’s relevant but the red follower mags and lancers have been running smooth. Just a odd note as it’s been good up till that range session. Just got a box of 260 pmc bronze from freedom that I will run this weekend or next depending on when a buddy has work. After that I am going to try somthing new unless I find a deal. No ripped cases yet. I think I should have video of it from a go pro if it’s of interest but I need to get it on the pc to see. I did take it out with the scar17, which overall is softer shooting then the mdr.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Last I heard about mine almost 2 weeks ago was the action spring was kinked so they replaced it. Haven't had issues with stuck cases or the scissor panel coming loose like I was starting to. IDK. Whatever.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Got it back again the other day. Unboxed and looked it over. It's going back again. 3rd time's the charm?
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Well if the other site is anything to go by, if it shoots a 100 rounds at the range you'll have every Tom, Dick and Harry praising the MDR as a reliable, proven "battle rifle".

Lol.

Hope third time's a charm for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got it back again the other day. Unboxed and looked it over. It's going back again. 3rd time's the charm?
View Quote
What the freak is wrong with it this time?

Looks like I'll be keeping my LMT MWS for a long time...T7 is having issues being released...wonder why...
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What the freak is wrong with it this time?

Looks like I'll be keeping my LMT MWS for a long time...T7 is having issues being released...wonder why...
View Quote
Eh, it’s been pushed back a couple months, which while it sucks is pretty much the norm with gun releases these days. Last I knew it’s supposed to be shipping within the month though isn’t it? It’s still got a couple years before it’s in MDR territory.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top