Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2021 6:54:16 PM EDT
I am waiting on my first M1 to show up from the CMP. It's been a poor time for me to start stocking 30-06 ammo. An acquaintance of mine said he would give me some
in trade. I traded some kit and 5.56 for 200 rounds of this ammo, 8 en bloc clips, and a cleaning kit.

Can anyone give me some insight into this ammo? I had never heard of the Denver Ordnance Plant previously. It appears they produced quite a bit of ammo during WWII.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that ammo has corrosive primers. Not a big deal it you clean the rifle correctly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What I see in searches says it is corrosive. You want to trade a nice box or two for some CMP delinked LC 30-06? Being from Colorado I think it would be cool to have a box.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
All Denver is corrosive, and only made during WWII.
Cool to display with a wartime Garand or 1903A3.
Not really collectible yet, and it shoots pretty good. Just follow up with a proper cleaning afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
With a 42 headstamp, definitely corrosive.  You can still shoot it, just need to be a nazi about cleaning it, and don't save the brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Denver made really good ammo...they should the plant was brand new.

They also crimped the hell out the primers.  Some of the toughest to remove.

As stated..corrosive but great brass after primer/crimp removal.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Clipped HXP in the sealed spam cans is the Gold Standard for M1 Pros-in-da-Know.

Problem is, if you're looking to work a trade deal rather than a cash deal,  a couple of those HXP spam cans will cost you at least 3 FG Garands from your collection, plus your dog.

On the other hand, you'll be getting Gold Standard Mil-issue .30-06 ammo of fairly recent vintage that's (1) NOT corrosive and (2) uses high quality brass that's easily resized/deprimed just like commercial '06 brass.

That's why the savvy wheeler-dealer needs at least four Garands in his collection    -  that way he'll never have to trade or sell his favorite 'shooter' M1 for the ammo to feed it. LOL!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up on the Ammo being corrosive. I’ve shot a lot of corrosive 7.62x54r and never had problems apart from the additional cleaning.

I’ll probably set aside one box and shoot the rest. I’m on week 8 of my CMP order for 2 service grades. Never had one but better late than never
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a 42 headstamp, definitely corrosive.  You can still shoot it, just need to be a nazi about cleaning it, and don't save the brass for reloading.
View Quote

With regard to reloading I have useD plenty of corrosive primer era brass for reloading
Never had any issues with that

Cleaning after corrosive priming is all of 15 minutes no biggie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top