BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2020 12:58:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow that's neat. No fish eye? Doesn't look like it from the photos.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Excited to follow along - those pics look pretty nice. Good luck with the baby!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I think I just spent money, well I would if I could find a link to just buy the housing.

Heck I can sell my 2 pvs14 bodies and come out ahead, but of course we know I would just buy tubes. Why does this stuff have to be so expensive

Edit tell me if you think this makes sense.

Buy these. Put my tubes in them. Sell one of my 14 housings and my.light weight bridge. Buy another tube for my now extra 14 housing.

Weight wise I would save a couple of oz over dual 14s and the bridge. When I want light weight just use the 14.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
nice review - you put a lot of work into and  thought into it  .
i have had the lucie goggles that have 51'field and i thought the resolution was diluted some as it was streched over more ares - did you notice this ?
resolution looks good on your pics though
i usually run my anvis without eyecups - would doing that help the eye relief problem with these do you think ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap, may have to try those 51 fov lenses for my RNVG build.

Thanks for the photos. This is the first time I've seen anyone give a side by side comparison.

Also, looks like they had less fish eye then that 40 fov lens you just got.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
If I got the 51* PVS14 lens kit, do I have to use their eyepieces for them to work or would they work with the regular PVS14 oculars?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I guess... its not that much..... I could sell my housings... Damn it I already asked for prices on tubes from someone.... Housing ordered...
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:

I guess you gonna learn
View Quote

Learn what?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The dual power battery cap and body is pretty nifty. How were they to assemble, any complications or pretty close to other housings? I like that there’s a single gain knob - wish more housings supported that and the 11769s. Is the pricing between the 51 and 40deg options the same? Bummer they won’t take regular optic pods if you wanted to use what was already on your 14s, but tough to argue with the price all-in. That 23.4oz with the battery, was it with tubes after assembly?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By IAm4:

Learn what?
View Quote

You said you bought the housing kit, right? So you’re going to learn whether or not you like it, I would think
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]

You said you bought the housing kit, right? So you’re going to learn whether or not you like it, I would think
View Quote

Yes, worse case I sell it, I have lost money before, I will loose money again, I have made more money.

I thought you meant I would learn either this stuff is expensive or its addicting, well I know both.

edited to remove something that sounded like I was an asshole. I need to recalibrate my own sarcasm meter
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#19]
@tlandoe07

Nice work ??

You don’t see much info on these so this is awesome. I’d be curious if your buddy with the -40 also experiences the light artifacts or if it’s just with the -51 lenses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.

On a side note anyone have experience with the AGM laser?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Very straightforward to assemble- easier than a PVS-14 actually. I think the NVG-40 housing costs a little bit more. And yes, the weight was completely assembled
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwramp:
The dual power battery cap and body is pretty nifty. How were they to assemble, any complications or pretty close to other housings? I like that there’s a single gain knob - wish more housings supported that and the 11769s. Is the pricing between the 51 and 40deg options the same? Bummer they won’t take regular optic pods if you wanted to use what was already on your 14s, but tough to argue with the price all-in. That 23.4oz with the battery, was it with tubes after assembly?

Very straightforward to assemble- easier than a PVS-14 actually. I think the NVG-40 housing costs a little bit more. And yes, the weight was completely assembled

Are you able to look at your buddy's AGM NVG40 and see if the eyepieces are the same as the one from your other thread?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Now that corona skeet has been brought up I thought of another question.

Can you use a COTI when you have a 51fov lens on your nvg? Are they going to play well together or is it going to end up like Frankenstein's monster?

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:
Now that corona skeet has been brought up I thought of another question.

Can you use a COTI when you have a 51fov lens on your nvg? Are they going to play well together or is it going to end up like Frankenstein's monster?

View Quote

That, I have no idea. I don’t personally own a COTI,but I would estimate they are incompatible with these goggles because the COTI attaches on the infinity focus lock ring. The ones on these goggles are undersized
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Eyepieces are all different sizes (diameter lens)  to accommodate the different FOV. The eyepieces from the 2 devices actually look interchangeable.

The housing is incredibly robust for what it is. The glass is not on par with that of a PVS-14 or Anvis goggles, in both the AGM 40FOV and 50FOV, but for what it is, I am truly impressed. It does feel incredibly solid and overbuilt, but it doesn't feel cheap.

None of the glass seems to be PVS-14 compatible, but that's mostly a non-issue, since it comes complete, with glass.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]
To give you a better idea on size. Most of my findings are exactly spot on with the review. For what it is, this thing is a GREAT deal. If it were the same price as the RNVG, I wouldn't have bought it.

Left to Right Top: AGM NVD-50, AGM NVD-40, ATN PS-15, PS-14
Left to Right Bottom: AB NV Mod3 Manual Gain, Adams Industries Sentinel, PVS-14, AB NV Anvis Pitbull

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:
Now that corona skeet has been brought up I thought of another question.

Can you use a COTI when you have a 51fov lens on your nvg? Are they going to play well together or is it going to end up like Frankenstein's monster?

View Quote

Optically, I imagine it would work just fine, as the thermal image from the COTI is displayed in unity with the world around. It would just end up being that much smaller of a display subset inside the 51deg image. Same physical world being shown in thermal, but that much less of the total viewing window displaying heat. Mounting is a while other issue but you can sort that out with collars and stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#28]
great review.  Do you plan on posting pictures comparing the gen 3 pvs14 and the nvg-50?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:
great review.  Do you plan on posting pictures comparing the gen 3 pvs14 and the nvg-50?
View Quote

Im going to try to. But I have to ship them out tomorrow, so it will be time-permitting if I do.

That said, chosos grabbed several sets of these, of both variations, and I believe he intends to do some comparisons as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang, this page always winds up costing me

Can one of you confirm this thing's flippiness is compatible with Wilcox G24?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#32]
For what its worth, i dont think eother of mine came with a bayonet mount. I will have to check the cases again just to be sure. It really was a non issue since i am running dovetails.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently had a set of the NVG40 binoculars with standard photonis WP tubes. I liked them overall but the tubes just gave up too much to even my older gen 3 and they were returned. AGM does have a solid policy if you are not happy. The tubes were below Echo spec and had the lowest FOM on a data sheet I have ever seen. The FOM was 996 on each. Attachment Attached File
I did not notice any issues with the glass while I had them. I may see about trying to get a 40 degree set for using with the two gen 3 tubes I haveAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#35]
tlandoe07 In the last set of pics I like the image of the 51 better, it to me has a higher contrast. Most of the time I turn the gain down anyways, I dont think I have ever used it as max gain.

As for the artifacts from light sources, it maybe from one of two things. Internal lens coating, as in they are not anti reflection coated on the inside, just the outer surfaces. Or more likely is the interior of the light pod is not coated to absorb stray light. Possible both, but done to save time and money.

I will look at my lenses when I get them and see what I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#36]
A couple of more pictures.

I was able to replicate the bloom on the 40 FOV lenses. I am guessing it is a coating issue or lack thereof. This bloom was from the moon. You can also see the magnification issue up close on my window frame compared to the 1x on the 40 FOV lenses.

My Sentinel has a set of gen 3 L3 Filmless tubes. The NVG-40 is rocking Harder Digital Gen 3 tubes with like an FOM of 1400. The NVG-50 is rocking a set of Gen 2+ Photonis tubes. Despite the blooms and anything else, I still like the AGM housing for the pricepoint.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Despite what the image shows, the clarity through the 40 exceeds that of the 50. I understand the 50 looks slightly better in pictures. For whatever reason, I could get a good picture detailing it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By chosos:

I was able to replicate the bloom on the 40 FOV lenses. I am guessing it is a coating issue or lack thereof. This bloom was from the moon. You can also see the magnification issue up close on my window frame compared to the 1x on the 40 FOV lenses. 

View Quote

I was just looking back thru the pics, I noticed how close the from of the lens is to the front of the focus ring. I wonder if a tube like a sun shade for a normal rifle scope would help, esp if was very flat black on the inside. This also would help if is a a reflection off the lens body, as it looks like shinny aluminum
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#38]
A couple of more pictures.

I was able to replicate the bloom on the 40 FOV lenses. I am guessing it is a coating issue or lack thereof. This bloom was from the moon. You can also see the magnification issue up close on my window frame compared to the 1x on the 40 FOV lenses. 

My Sentinel has a set of gen 3 L3 Filmless tubes. The NVG-40 is rocking Harder Digital Gen 3 tubes with like an FOM of 1400. The NVG-50 is rocking a set of Gen 2+ Photonis tubes. Despite the blooms and anything else, I still like the AGM housing for the pricepoint. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/1_jpg-1400103.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/3_jpg-1400110.JPG

Despite what the image shows, the clarity through the 40 exceeds that of the 50. I understand the 50 looks slightly better in pictures. For whatever reason, I could get a good picture detailing it. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/4_jpg-1400111.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/217687/5_jpg-1400112.JPG
View Quote

Great pics! So I agree, it must be something to do with optical coatings if not the geometry of the lenses (or both).

This is a fun thread, and hopefully good info for guys who aren’t ready to drop the coin on a DTNVG but can swing these until the time comes to upgrade
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#39]
If anyone wants or needs any specific pictures, please let me know. I picked up both housings to try them out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If anyone wants or needs any specific pictures, please let me know. I picked up both housings to try them out.
View Quote

I’d like to see it mounted on a helmet with a G24 at max distance. tlandoe07’s pics next to the RNVG it looks like it’d be closer to your eyes.

How reliable is the stowed & rotates up positions power off - do they turn on when you lean over or anything wonky like that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Fedex says mine will be here Thursday, I can show pics of it on a rhino 2 ( with dovetail ) on my airsoft bump helmet and I have a wilcox mount ( not the 24 ) but I dont have the helmet part but I can hold it in place for pics
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By IAm4:
Fedex says mine will be here Thursday, I can show pics of it on a rhino 2 ( with dovetail ) on my airsoft bump helmet and I have a wilcox mount ( not the 24 ) but I dont have the helmet part but I can hold it in place for pics
View Quote

That’d be cool ??
This thing is interesting especially for the price. Did you get the 40 or 50?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By will-1:

I’d like to see it mounted on a helmet with a G24 at max distance. tlandoe07’s pics next to the RNVG it looks like it’d be closer to your eyes. 

How reliable is the stowed & rotates up positions power off - do they turn on when you lean over or anything wonky like that? 
View Quote

Its a switch activation. You can hear the click when you articulate the pods.

I have a g24 on an ops core carbon and can attempt pics tomorrow.  The 50, you will want right up on your eyes, or you will get some optical distortion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#44]
The 50, you will want right up on your eyes, or you will get some optical distortion.
View Quote

When you say right up on, are we talking eyeball to glass or a finger or 2 inbetween? Trying to see how close this is to how I currently use my PVS-14, which is with the diopter ring just about touching the brim of an ACH.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Seated to eyecups
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Is this pretty self explanatory for someone diving into building night vision for the first time?  About to pull the trigger from kosher supplies and order the nvg-50.  My buddy and I are going to convert two pvs14s on a KAC mount to this nvg-50.  Im a union electrician and hes a union plumber.  Its not the first time either of us have used tools by any means.  Just the first time assembling something like this.  Are there any videos or manuals online you could recommend that would help with this?  I know i have seem some PVS14 assembly videos on youtube.  Other than that i havent found too many.  Maybe the nvg-50 kit comes with instructions and i just didnt read the website close enough.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#47]
This is akin to saying you broke your cell phone screen, and asking if it is a DIY project. For some yes - for others no. I mean you really want to build this type of high dollar electronics in a clean room environment with all of the proper tools and test sets, lubricants, etc.

Can any kid toss together using a PVS-14 and use a flathead to tighten the tube retaining ring and put a wicked scar across the output side of the $2,000 intensifier tube? Yup. To some extent, yes, I think it is a DIY project, but you'll want to read up on it. Also, those tube retainer rings are really easy to strip and cross-thread without the correct tools. You can easily make one out of a wooden rod and a couple of finishing nails though.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#48]
This is akin to saying you broke your cell phone screen, and asking if it is a DIY project. For some yes - for others no. I mean you really want to build this type of high dollar electronics in a clean room environment with all of the proper tools and test sets, lubricants, etc. 

Can any kid toss together using a PVS-14 and use a flathead to tighten the tube retaining ring and put a wicked scar across the output side of the $2,000 intensifier tube? Yup. To some extent, yes, I think it is a DIY project, but you'll want to read up on it. Also, those tube retainer rings are really easy to strip and cross-thread without the correct tools. You can easily make one out of a wooden rod and a couple of finishing nails though. 

View Quote

Right on and thanks for the information. Do you have a link or somewhere you suggest to purchase the tool required to adjust the tube retainer rings?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By will-1:

That’d be cool ?? 
This thing is interesting especially for the price. Did you get the 40 or 50?
View Quote

the 50
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, not really because these housings don't use the normal tools. these actually seem to take tools that i created that were sized for ATN housings. You can attempt it with 14 tools, but the sizing isn't exactly correct.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top