Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a few more from someone else. This guy has his hooked up to a Copy of a Mr Bullet feeder sizing 357 and 45 bullets. This looks like the perfect setup for this.

https://youtu.be/YrKEK9__Nr0

https://youtu.be/RApVzqEGR38

https://youtu.be/TIwIdW4O03g

He also tried to size some 308's and the rim ripped off.

https://youtu.be/YMv1KMTGI2g
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
Here is a few more from someone else. This guy has his hooked up to a Copy of a Mr Bullet feeder sizing 357 and 45 bullets. This looks like the perfect setup for this.

https://youtu.be/TIwIdW4O03g

He also tried to size some 308's and the rim ripped off.

https://youtu.be/YMv1KMTGI2g
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Super slick. I might have to get one of these. I have a Star, but the mechanical advantage is far superior here. I could easily bend the handle on my star with fatter bullets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlKev] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine showed up yesterday finally it was delayed by good ol'e USPS.

I took it out of the box and looked it over.  I'm going to try and set it up after dinner tonight and make a few decapping videos.

Has anyone resized brass with theirs yet?  I mainly was planning on using it for just depriming and swaging (once I get the kit) but would like to resize 223 as I don't load that on the Dillon but noticed on the shell holders it said not for resizing brass...uhh what
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my APP mounted to the bench earlier after dinner.  Took a little longer than expected to get setup but I have it pretty close to dialed in now.

I have noticed when I fill up the case feed tube with 9mm cases (approx 20 - for sure ordering the case tube and collator setup) that the first 1-2 cases will stop just shy of being centered in the shell holder.  I think it might have to do with the weight of the cases stacked up on the slide.  Moving the handle up and down slightly will cause it to push into place, after the first few cases it rarely happens.

I also noticed that the last 1-2 cases would sometimes fall over as they started to move out of the drop tube...so we'll see if I can get the kinks worked out.

One thing I found to help was the last 10% of the up stroke if you speed it up it seemed to slide the cases into the shell holder better.

One gripe I have is how you have to adjust the height of the feed tube on the slide plate, it's kind of crude (which I guess is to be expected at this price point) but it's kind of hard to get dialed in.  If you get it dialed in and are doing a ton of one case size I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I ran out of time so no videos, but I will try to get back down to the bench tomorrow night and run some more cases through it.  I have close to a 5 gallon bucket of 9 that needs to get deprimed for the wet tumbler.  Once those are all done I might try sizing 223 cases though I use an RCBS small base die...not sure if this press is going to like it or not.  Main reason for purchase was for depriming and swaging so if it doesn't work out for 223 I'll still be okay.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#13]
<meme removed> keep them in GD please. dryflash3

for one of us to actually use this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:54:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#14]
If the shell holder was not a problem, then why has Lee already changed the design to have the slot cut all the way across? You will be able to get the replacement shell holders after they have them available as warranty.

Evidently someone does not know what shooting reduced loads can do. One is the primer can back out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I can’t resize and chamfer primer pockets in one pass with the APP can I?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Lee plastic collator using it w/ the universal case feeder on my deluxe kit.  So far I've dropped a couple hundred 6.5 Grendel cases thru collator and only had 1 upside down, not too shabby, hopefully it continues w/o issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know if any of the Inline Fabrication quick change plates will fit this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Anyone know if any of the Inline Fabrication quick change plates will fit this?
View Quote
the #25 quick change plate works for the APP press.  I bought one awhile back and it works fine.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system/products/quick-change-system-top-plates?variant=531909181
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 2:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesP81] [#24]
Got another question about getting the correct stuff ordered.

My use for this would be sizing/decapping, bullet sizing, and primer pocket swaging.

The deluxe press comes with the automation kit. My understanding is that that is only the case / bullet feeder and feed tubes, along with a few shell holders. My read is that I’ll want the Case Collator for loading the tubes, and primer swaging kit. It also appears that I’d need to purchase the APP specific bullet sizer kits separately (unless the old style ones can be made to work)

Do I have this right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#25]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Got another question about getting the correct stuff ordered.

My use for this would be sizing/decapping, bullet sizing, and primer pocket swaging.

The deluxe press comes with the automation kit. My understanding is that that is only the case / bullet feeder and feed tubes, along with a few shell holders. My read is that I’ll want the Case Collator for loading the tubes, and primer swaging kit. It also appears that I’d need to purchase the APP specific bullet sizer kits separately (unless the old style ones can be made to work)

Do I have this right?
View Quote
The APP uses Lee's breach lock bushing. Your 7/8" dies can be used by adding a breach lock bushing to each.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=app+bullet+sizer&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DB8RHBGngJPg

https://leeprecision.com/app-automatic-processing-press/

https://leeprecision.com/spline-drive-breech-lock-bushing/
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I received mine about two weeks ago and finally got around to mounting it the other day. I had a 4 tube case feeder already so I utilized that and de primed a thousand rounds of .223 brass in way less than half the time it would have taken on my Loadmaster press.

It is not flawless, you get an occasional hiccup. But they were few and far between.

Yesterday my swag dies came in and I set them up and swagged a few cases and this thing does exactly what it is supposed to do. Using mixed stamp brass was not a problem, all swagged and accepted primers.

Setup was easy, adjusting and fine tuning was not difficult. I would have to say that so far it has cut my brass prep by more than half the time it normally takes.

I do not have any plans to use it for re sizing, I will do that on the progressive because the shell plate captures more of the case rim. But I will give it a try just to see how well it works. I full length size so my expectations of this working for this procedure are not high.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone tried to use the old style Lee push through bullet sizing dies with this?  I am somewhat invested in those, it'd be nice if I could continue to use them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah the old dies are good to go.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/InstallBulletSizingKitIntoAPPpress.pdf
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#30]
NOE also has an adapter to use their sizing dies if you have them.

I have already busted the deprimer on my swage kit. Ran into some F&S 223 brass that had extremely small flash holes. Lee's pins are not hard. They bend right over. I have new ones coming. I may try to harden it to see if they last longer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#33]
Wow. Thank you all for posting this info. I have a dillon 550,  so I do all my decapping and sizing on station one and remove the sizing die when it comes time to load; so something like this is right up my alley. Surprised to see people having issues with this press right out the box.

I wrote lee a bunch of questions and they werent super helpful in their response so I'll be watching this thread (I need to figure out how to suscribe to this thread).

I just read through this entire thread and I apologize if it's been asked, but can this FL size my 556 and 308 brass while it decaps? If no, count me out; I see no point in just decapping when I could be sizing and decapping at the same time.

Someone else mentioned it, but a machine that FL sizes, decaps, and swages the primer pocket in one pass without spending a bunch of money is what I want. I realize that no one is making this though. The new dillon case prep machine is cool, but it's just way too much for just a prep press. I've only learned on my 550 and have never used another press so a lot of this stuff is super foreign to me.

Edit:
Forgot to add. Lee did confirm it will work with a dillon case feeder.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

What's the price on the 1050/1100 or the CP-2000 compared to the Lee?  Few shooters can afford/justify spending $1800 for a press that swages.

Granted there are things like the Dillon bench swager or the RCBS swager but those don't include a case feeder, etc.  Heck, the Lee APP, if it works, is priced pretty close to the Dillon Super Swager.

Edited to add--I've used the Swage-It on my 650 and am not satisfied with it.  The Hornady Lock-N-Load AP swager does a more consistent job without occasionally popping cases up through the shell plate.
View Quote
The super swage is kinda slow.  That is the main thing that interests me about the Lee, along with the price.  I hope to not see one in person.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Redarts:
Super slick. I might have to get one of these. I have a Star, but the mechanical advantage is far superior here. I could easily bend the handle on my star with fatter bullets.
View Quote
It did seem that in the video, the Lee was giving the user a work out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm interested in the ability to bulge bust with the APP. Just found this video I overlooked before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqs_9VR75U

The guy definitely needs a more supportive benchtop to mount the unit on. Fast forward to around 12:30, otherwise you'll likely give up on the idea as he struggles with the process. Probably adjustments in setup just need to be done. Maybe a conical sleeve to guide the case into the die as well. The unit itself doesn't seem to flex when a fat case gets punched through (14:32).
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Bossman] [#38]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
I'm interested in the ability to bulge bust with the APP. Just found this video I overlooked before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqs_9VR75U

The guy definitely needs a more supportive benchtop to mount the unit on. Fast forward to around 12:30, otherwise you'll likely give up on the idea as he struggles with the process. Probably adjustments in setup just need to be done. Maybe a conical sleeve to guide the case into the die as well. The unit itself doesn't seem to flex when a fat case gets punched through (14:32).
View Quote
Just looking at the replies, as noted he isn't using the closed feeder adapter but the ones used for pushing cases.  Also the bulgebusting process sounds terrible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#39]
Originally Posted By AR-Bossman:
Just looking at the replies, as noted he isn't using the closed feeder adapter but the ones used for pushing cases.  Also the bulgebusting process sounds terrible.  
View Quote
Makes sense now. I was wondering what those 3 bushing like parts were in the Lee APP bulge buster kit. Must be conical feed bushings in different sizes. The ram looks longer too. For $20 its a no brainer to just buy the bulge buster for the APP and shelve the one I have.

I've been doing the BB process with a single stage press. If you FL size the cases first, its not anywhere near as hard to pull the handle as shown on the video. It also sizes the rim of the cases. There is a 2 step feel when pulling the handle. First resistance is where the base of the case being sized. The second is sizing the rim of the case.

I shoot mixed range brass. This step makes sure there is a maximum diameter tolerance to the base of the case and rim. I also started doing this a few years back with 45 ACP when I had some failures to chamber a round in our 1911's. Some of it was a weak slide spring along with case base width creeping to a larger diameter.

Edit: Here's a video of a press with the shell adapter bushings installed. Much more consistent feeding. https://vimeo.com/379358431
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andre3k] [#40]
Finally got my App setup. It's mounted on an Inline Fabrication plate. The downside to this setup is there isn't a place to mount an Akro Bin to catch cases so you'll have to find an alternative.

I haven't bought or used a Lee reloading press in a long time, but the quality is about the same as what I remember from 20 years ago. I like the design of this press, but as usual they fail on the execution. The case feeder is where the issue is, it has some pretty intricate moving parts that are all made from molded plastic. It reminds me of my Mattel toys from the 80's. I deprimed about 500 223 cases today as a trial run and the case feeder functioned correctly about 70% of the time. I would deprime about 10 - 15 cases and then something would always go wrong.

My press doesn't have enough spring tension to reliably center the case in the express shell holder. It would stop just short of center and the deprimer would be misaligned with the case. If I could fix this the machine would be 90% reliable on depriming 223. I haven't tried it for bullet sizing yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By andre3k:
Finally got my App setup. Its mounted on an Inline Fabrication plate. The downside to this setup is there insn't a place to mount an Akro Bin to catch cases so you'll have to find an alternative.

I haven't bought or used a Lee reloading press in a long time, but the quality is about the same as what I remember from 20 years ago. I like the design of this press, but as usual they fail on the execution. The case feeder is where the issue is, it has some pretty intricate moving parts that are all made from molded plastic. It reminds me of my Mattel toys from the 80's. I deprimed about 500 223 cases today as a trial run and the case feeder functioned correctly about 70% of the time. I would deprime about 10 - 15 cases and then something would always go wrong.

My press doesn't have enough spring tension to reliably center the case in the express shell holder. It would stop just short of center and the deprimer would be misaligned with the case. If I could fix this the machine would be 90% reliable on depriming 223.  I havent tried it for bullet sizing yet.
View Quote

I found that the trick to getting them centered in the shell holder is a nice smooth operation of the handle. took me a while to figure it out. I was using the swaging die set that has a large pin that is just a tiny bit smaller than the case neck and it would occasionally hang up and I would have to center it with my fingers. their is also an adjustment for the the jaws, spring tension should not matter if the case feeder is hitting the stop. If the case is wobbling when the jaws release that is when I noticed the problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Inline just posted a double bin setup for the App.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

A case feeder that holds ten cases is hardly worth the effort.
View Quote
Dillon 650/750 only feeds about ten cases per filling......unless you buy the optional casefeeder.

It it doesn't look all that difficult to mount up a Dillon casefeeder for it either.

The only question in my mind is if it really works or not, and if it will last.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dino11:

I found that the trick to getting them centered in the shell holder is a nice smooth operation of the handle. took me a while to figure it out. I was using the swaging die set that has a large pin that is just a tiny bit smaller than the case neck and it would occasionally hang up and I would have to center it with my fingers. their is also an adjustment for the the jaws, spring tension should not matter if the case feeder is hitting the stop. If the case is wobbling when the jaws release that is when I noticed the problem.
View Quote

You’re probably aware of this, but it’s a good time to point it out.

The spring that connects to the top of the press and angles down to the actuator can be installed wrong.  Where the open part of the spring clips to the top of the press, it needs to be oriented, or tensioned, so it stays to the left.  If it goes to the right, there isn’t enough length in the spring to move the shell all the way onto the shell holder.

The solution is twist the spring towards the press or unhook it at the actuator and turn it towards the press.  With the spring tensioned towards the press it will stay left.  Tensioned out, the wrong way, it wants to stay to the right.

Right way (disregard the brass, it was just laying there)

Attachment Attached File

Wrong way

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I was not aware of the spring orientation, but just by luck mine is on the correct way.

I just noticed that if I used quick jerky motion on the handle that the case would wobble a little when the jaws released it and that is when the case was not centered properly.

Use smooth slower motion and the case would release from the jaws and with next to no wobble, and the shell would be centered.

At first I thought that it was the case feeder needing adjusted because the cases were falling into the feeder at a slight angle and falling forward into the jaws inducing a wobble. I am using a four tube feeder on mine and can get 41 cases in the tubes. after getting the tubes adjusted properly so the case fell straight and using a smooth action I have almost zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Dillon 650/750 only feeds about ten cases per filling......unless you buy the optional casefeeder.

It it doesn't look all that difficult to mount up a Dillon casefeeder for it either.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

A case feeder that holds ten cases is hardly worth the effort.

Some one needs to figure out the part in bold. I deprimed and resized about 1k 9mm cases today in 2 hours. If I could hook up the casefeeder I would have been done in 30 minutes. This thing is fast! My new loading procedure is to bring range brass home, deprime, resize. the brass falls out into the wet tumbler drum directly from the press. I wet tumble for 30 min and put the brass away for loading later. This really keeps everything clean and tidy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Is there anything on the market that'll deprime and swage on the same press?  Other than the 1050 or the Mark 7?

I think there's a market for an inexpensive brass processing machine.  Something that's got maybe three stations.  One to decap/size, one to swage that has a hold-down to keep from bending/popping case rims and one for trimming.  Make it with a vacuum manifold like the GSI tool head and I think we'd be all set.
View Quote

+10000
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top