Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 8:33:16 PM EDT
So I used to have an MR556 worked as close as I could, but I wound up getting out of HK’s for a while.

Got the itch the other day, and decided to start another “416” build. I was rusty on the HK stuff, but it’s coming together faster than I thought it would.
Parts I’ve snagged:

Unmarked 416 stripped upper from HK forging
HK FA
Colt dust cover
HK Haus Bushing
Geissele SMR (the original)
Geissele DDC SCH
KAC 99051 irons
416 Bolt
10” Marked HK Unvented Gas Block
Titanium firing pin
Nefarious 10.4” 416 Barrel
HK Gas Piston
Surefire CT Warcomp
Colt Cam Pin
Colt Firing Pin Retaining pin
HK Gas Block Pins

Right now, as far as I’m tracking, I just need a piston rod, barrel nut, and carrier. I thought I had a seller for the barrel nut but he started ghosting me... whatever, he wanted $130 for a barrel nut that’s $40 ish on the HK website.

It’s been fun re-learning all the HK stuff. Less fun on the bank account. Probably going to throw a T2, MAWL, and SF600 on it.

Lower will be a Remington Defense SBR lower with a KAC 2 stage, H3, (going to experiment with springs), Magpul Grip, and LMT SOPMOD. Really looking forward to getting it done.

If anyone has any tips or tricks on getting it together that they’ve learned the hard way or aren’t commonly shared please let me know. Or an extra barrel nut.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's going to be fun finding a bolt carrier... I wouldn't be surprised if you have to spend more than $1000 for it.  I ended up buying an entire MR556 upper to get one, during a brief window of opportunity a few weeks ago.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be fun finding a bolt carrier... I wouldn't be surprised if you have to spend more than $1000 for it.  I ended up buying an entire MR556 upper to get one, during a brief window of opportunity a few weeks ago.  Good luck.

View Quote

Thanks. Been pretty lucky so far honestly. Trying to get it done before any uh... potential government intervention.

My goal with this one is to have it run super reliably unsuppressed. Just a straight chopper.

Ideally I’ll be all in at about $2500
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I just need a stock and grip, but they are overpriced at HK parts.

I keep missing them on the EE
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just need a stock and grip, but they are overpriced at HK parts.

I keep missing them on the EE
View Quote

I’m down to needing a piston rod and carrier.

Someone on Reddit (I hate that place), is selling a V2 grip for $40 shipped I think, and I think someone on HKPRO is selling furniture.

Any ideas on where to snag a carrier and rod?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’m down to needing a piston rod and carrier.

Someone on Reddit (I hate that place), is selling a V2 grip for $40 shipped I think, and I think someone on HKPRO is selling furniture.

Any ideas on where to snag a carrier and rod?
View Quote

You could sign up for notification of "in stock" at MidWest Gunworks.  Good folks there with decent prices.........although I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon with the recent democrat tyrants takeover.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You could sign up for notification of "in stock" at MidWest Gunworks.  Good folks there with decent prices.........although I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon with the recent democrat tyrants takeover.
View Quote

Yep - I’m signed up just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I have all the parts... can anyone recommend a good jig for pinning the gas block? Or just some wood?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
There is no jig.  The barrel is grooved, the gas block has holes, and roll pins (or 'spring' pins) go in the holes.  

How many children did you have to sacrifice for a bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is no jig.  The barrel is grooved, the gas block has holes, and roll pins (or 'spring' pins) go in the holes.  

View Quote

I don’t want to talk about it haha...

Maybe jig isn’t the right word - I’ve just always used a support for a gas block when I’m pinning one. The 416 block is obviously a unique shape, so I was wondering if anyone had any tools to support.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe jig isn’t the right word - I’ve just always used a support for a gas block when I’m pinning one. The 416 block is obviously a unique shape, so I was wondering if anyone had any tools to support.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The roll pins on the 415/mr556 go in much much smoother than the taper pins on an ar style a frame. A solid bench is all you need to drive the pins, along with a decent hammer and punch obviously lol. Very secure but a lot easier to set and remove.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The roll pins on the 415/mr556 go in much much smoother than the taper pins on an ar style a frame. A solid bench is all you need to drive the pins, along with a decent hammer and punch obviously lol. Very secure but a lot easier to set and remove.
View Quote

That’s outstanding news thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My first one is just about done - just waiting on the flash hider. The second one is just waiting on the upper and lower to be refinished, and a barrel nut and carrier.

Those Marvin Pitts barrels are damn nice, and the coil pins were a welcome change to pinning a gas block, really appreciate the indexing tab too.

The next one will be set up to shoot suppressed. Vented gas block, H3, and Springco blue is what I’m leaning towards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells has a video on assembling. pretty straight forward.

I started my builds just after T-Day, I look at prices I paid back then and what they sell for today it is like GameStop Stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brownells has a video on assembling. pretty straight forward.

I started my builds just after T-Day, I look at prices I paid back then and what they sell for today it is like GameStop Stock.
View Quote

The build was super straightforward, but fun. Taking it out tomorrow I hope to sight in.

Please no hate on the Remington Defense lower. KAC trigger in there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/mUFOyV1.jpg

The build was super straightforward, but fun. Taking it out tomorrow I hope to sight in.

Please no hate on the Remington Defense lower. KAC trigger in there.
View Quote

Remington Defense Lower requires a Remington Defense Handguard!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Remington Defense Lower requires a Remington Defense Handguard!
View Quote

I had it on my last one and I think I prefer the Geissele. If I build a 14.5, I’ll get another RAHG. Really looking forward to my second one already.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know where I can find an HK grip in black? Got an RAL8000 one for the one that’s coming together.

Sent the other receiver set out today for cerakote. Colt SBR lower was already raw from having an engraving fixed (thanks ATF).
Hopefully it comes out well and pairs well with the DDC Geissele rail that the other one will wear.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been silently watching this thread. Any updates?
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been silently watching this thread. Any updates?
View Quote

Sorry I missed this dude- will get you some pics and testing updates this weekend @nemesismind

This is what it initially came out as.

Since then, I’ve switched on a black Wilcox riser, a T2 on a LaRue absolute mount, a G33, a FP PEQ15 instead of the C, and bumped up the Surefire light.

Also going to swap on an AAC can to test this weekend, see how it runs with that.

Also tried it with the Razor 1-6 for a bit when the 1-10 came in. Pretty good setup actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top