Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 12:33:49 AM EDT
Really tired of fucking my knees up on spent shell casings and hard ground during classes.

I’m not opposed to breaking out the checkbook for a pair of Crye G4 combat pants…just curious if there are any less expensive options that will still get the job done. So far I’ve only found two models of Condor pants, with mediocre knee pad offerings.

I’m in the south, so something breathable is slightly more important than long term durability.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Crye hot-weather pants and kneepads, and never look back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Altima and Arc'teryx make good over the pant knee pads. I wear Fjallraven pants with internal knee pads all the time and they're really well built/tough. Every bit the quality of Crye and stands out in a good way from the ocean of Multicam G33/4s (not that there's anything wrong with those)
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been wearing the 5.11 TDU pants for over 20 years, and they are great!!
They come in several colors, including Multi-Cam(more expensive), and the sizes fit just like military issue BDU's
I'm 6' 1" but have always worn a Med-Reg in BDU's, and same goes with these 5.11 TDU Pants ... always a Med-Reg for me

5.11 Tactical TDU Pants - The model / Pant Style I'm talking about & that I've always worn is # 74003
I added the Style # because I like these best, as they are the weight of the original cold weather BDU's. I never cared for the thin summer weight BDU, no matter the weather. The Rip-stop - Teflon coated material kicks ass. They can take a beating, and of course they are fitted to insert the optional Internal Knee pads

Cargo pockets are great too, as they have two internal pockets on each side that hold 30rd AR mags, or whatever else, and still leaving plenty of room in each cargo pocket.
$55 to $65 bucks for the pants, (multi-cam are $90) depending where you buy them. Look for 5.11 holiday sales on their website too .. they do quite a lot of them.
I've scored them for as low as $35 to $45 a pair on eBay or during sales. And the internal knee pads are 25 to 30 bucks a pair.

The knee pads are also easily moved to another pair of pants if you don't want to pay for more than one pair of pads. They used to come with the pants, but no longer.
And they have changed a little over the years, but regardless, they do a great job saving your knees for the money IMHO .. especially if you're only kneeling down to pick up your brass yes I'm bustin' on ya OP and I know that's not what all you meant
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Really tired of fucking my knees up on spent shell casings and hard ground during classes.

I’m not opposed to breaking out the checkbook for a pair of Crye G4 combat pants…just curious if there are any less expensive options that will still get the job done. So far I’ve only found two models of Condor pants, with mediocre knee pad offerings.

I’m in the south, so something breathable is slightly more important than long term durability.

Thanks.
View Quote

@alpha0815  Triple Aught has pants with a built in knee pad pouch, i belive they fit the crye internal knee pad style.   Pants are on sale right now too.  https://tripleaughtdesign.com/products/force-10-rs-cargo-pant?variant=40127155994724

This version is ripstop version, they used to have a version thats all nylon that dries faster, but i dunno if they make those anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@alpha0815  Triple Aught has pants with a built in knee pad pouch, i belive they fit the crye internal knee pad style.   Pants are on sale right now too.  https://tripleaughtdesign.com/products/force-10-rs-cargo-pant?variant=40127155994724

This version is ripstop version, they used to have a version thats all nylon that dries faster, but i dunno if they make those anymore.
View Quote

Those look nice.

I'm a bit curious though, does Crye have some sort of patent on external build-in knee pads? With internal knee pads, your pants exterior is sure to get tore up pretty good. The G3 / G4 style from Crye just makes sense. I haven't found a single decent option like them, except Amazon and eBay Chinese knock offs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
@alpha0815  They do the nylon version.  https://tripleaughtdesign.com/products/force-10-ac-cargo-pant

I assume Crye does have a patent on the pants with pockets & the knee pads.  I don't use my pants on any really  terrible surfaces.  If you'r worried about hat then these might be an option:

https://mantle-clothing.com/product/mantle-pants-mod-1/

They come with a heavy duty canvas over the knees.  I dunno how breathable these since you're in LA.   You're probably going to have to compromise with pants getting torn up & being cool, or being warm & you're pants hold up better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have three different types of knee pad pants: Crye G3, Patagonia L9, and 5.11.  I have never used the knee pads for the 5.11.  The Crye and Patagonia both work well for me.  Of those two though I prefer the Crye.  If the Crye are too pricy for you right now you could look into the various knock offs, especially if you're just using them for fair weather range use.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd get UF Pro over Crye, if you're spending the money (if you have some form of .gov ID UF Pro offers discounts). Look at the Striker ULT for Hot weather, maybe XT Gen 3 as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the Crye are too pricy for you right now you could look into the various knock offs, especially if you're just using them for fair weather range use.

View Quote

Word. I had a fast need for some Multicam Arid, and could not find Crye in my size in stock. I heard about the Emerson Blue Label line and gave them a shot. Non-IR reflective, legit MC, 50/50 NyCo, 12 stitches per inch. IIRC about $110 with Pads. The stock pads seem decent, but I bought a backup set of Crye for about $25. Time will tell, but they are not garbage on inspection, and a few days of outdoor wear. Also, Emerson has now upgraded the Yellow Label pants (used to be Poly/Cotton), to Blue Label NyCo Specs, so there is no difference as long as you get current stock. For the Shirts, you still want Blue Label, as the Yellow Label is still a 100% Cotton Body - no bueno.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd get UF Pro over Crye, if you're spending the money (if you have some form of .gov ID UF Pro offers discounts). Look at the Striker ULT for Hot weather, maybe XT Gen 3 as well.
View Quote

+1 for UF Pro
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Word. I had a fast need for some Multicam Arid, and could not find Crye in my size in stock. I heard about the Emerson Blue Label line and gave them a shot. Non-IR reflective, legit MC, 50/50 NyCo, 12 stitches per inch. IIRC about $110 with Pads. The stock pads seem decent, but I bought a backup set of Crye for about $25. Time will tell, but they are not garbage on inspection, and a few days of outdoor wear. Also, Emerson has now upgraded the Yellow Label pants (used to be Poly/Cotton), to Blue Label NyCo Specs, so there is no difference as long as you get current stock. For the Shirts, you still want Blue Label, as the Yellow Label is still a 100% Cotton Body - no bueno.
View Quote

None of the Crye clones that I'm aware of come in 34 Long or I'd buy some to check out.  

I've been wearing the heck out of a pair of G3 Cryes doing trim and flooring the last few weeks.  Most I've used 'em since I got them .  They've without a doubt saved my knees though.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
None of the Crye clones that I'm aware of come in 34 Long or I'd buy some to check out.  
View Quote

They call it X Long but worth a try ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P33Q41H?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Army combat pants. Usually they can be found for around 70 bucks and fit crye pads. I have a pair and love them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Helikon-tex UTPs have worked pretty well for me. They're poly-cotton and while not as nice as 100% cotton in AZ
summers, pretty tolerable. Pricing is on par with 5.11 and others (pretty much everyone is cheaper than Crye by
a mile.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Awaiting response from username VP
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They call it X Long but worth a try ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P33Q41H?tag=arfcom00-20

View Quote

I’m on the fence but probably going to give those a shot. Way too many damn pockets for what I need, but oh well.

I wear a 34 length so I guess I’ll give the “Extra Long” a go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1 for UF Pro
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Well those pants are all real nice.  But for something to do what you need, and to really be expendable for training in harsh environments, I would recommend plain old GI camo pants.  I just buy a sheet of 1/4" closed-cell foam and cut my own knee pads for them.  You can buy surplus camo pants, in good condition, for twenty bucks at gunshows.  For the same price as your gucci trou, you could have 5 pair to tear up in training.   That's what I've done for years, in many square range and field classes.  And yes, I have managed to tear up the knees.  You simply sew them or patch them back up.

I too live in the semi-tropical SE, so I know what conditions you are training in. The surplus trou, with 1/4 CS foam are a good compromise between pro and comfort in the heat.  As an added bonus, you can actually patrol in them, or even go into town in them without looking like robo-cop.  

But if you are set on this course, then yeah, the Emersons look pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered the Emerson G3. I typically am in between a 36 and 38 waist, and 34 length.

I ordered the 38 “extra long” as the standard inseam shows like 32”L.

Will see. If they don’t fit or seem ratchet, I’ll return them and just order Crye.

Thanks for the help here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.uspatriottactical.com/arc-teryx-combat-knee-cap
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bingo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for UF Pro

Bingo.
No multicam in stock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I ordered the Emerson G3. I typically am in between a 36 and 38 waist, and 34 length.

I ordered the 38 “extra long” as the standard inseam shows like 32”L.

Will see. If they don’t fit or seem ratchet, I’ll return them and just order Crye.

Thanks for the help here.
View Quote

Keep us updated.  I'm curious to know the length of the inseam.  That and how they hold up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
If you get pants with internal knee pad pockets like  True Spec Expedition pants, etc, get a thick yoga pad on amazon and cut custom size to fit so it uses the whole knee pad pocket.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Army combat pants. Usually they can be found for around 70 bucks and fit crye pads. I have a pair and love them.
View Quote

I have a pair of these arriving tomorrow that I bought off ebay. So we'll see how they do...
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a pair of these arriving tomorrow that I bought off ebay. So we'll see how they do...
View Quote

Probably one of the most affordable options for pants with Crye knee pad slots.  I'm not a huge fan of them compared to Cryes though.  I'm curious to hear your impressions.

You'll often see people call them them "Army G3 copies" or something like that but they really aren't.  They are basically fire resistant BDU cut pants with Crye knee pad pockets added.  

I found the material to be hot.  The knee pad vertical adjustment didn't want to stay where I put it (on mine at least).  They lack stretch panels.  The main fabric has kind of an odd stretch to it though so I guess there's that.  Something about the knee pad pockets is off too.  The pads look and feel like a bulbous protrusion stuck to the front of the pant leg.  With the G3's the pads fit really well and all you really see is the hard cap.  The soft padding just kinda disappears into the cut of the pants.  

I don't know.  I just wasn't a fan.  They'll hold Crye pads for cheap but are definitely not in the same league as G3's.  I really wanted to like them because they are so much cheaper but they just don't do it for me.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we are talking about the same thing, no? They are Emerson, IDOGEAR or other Crye G3 type knock offs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think we are talking about the same thing, no? They are Emerson, IDOGEAR or other Crye G3 type knock offs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the Army pants are an issue item.

Basically the Army's attempt at making cheaper combat pants for mass issue.

In the fiber content list it says there are stretch panels but I can't feel or see them anywhere.  That 2% spandex doesn't seem to do much. The FR material feels the same all around to me.  Also, the medium longs seem kinda short for longs.

I think the FR material requirement and "flat" cut are what kills them for me.  If they were 50/50 NYCO with real stretch panels and an articulated/anatomical cut in the knee area they'd be way better.

I think of them more as FR BDU cut pants with crye knee pad pockets added than G3 style.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, the Army pants are an issue item.

Basically the Army's attempt at making cheaper combat pants for mass issue.

https://i.imgur.com/Uw2LzBo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ValQpmL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fFEFyp7.jpg

In the fiber content list it says there are stretch panels but I can't feel or see them anywhere.  That 2% spandex doesn't seem to do much. The FR material feels the same all around to me.  Also, the medium longs seem kinda short for longs.

I think the FR material requirement and "flat" cut are what kills them for me.  If they were 50/50 NYCO with real stretch panels and an articulated/anatomical cut in the knee area they'd be way better.

Think of them more as FR BDU cut pants with crye knee pad pockets added than G3's.
View Quote

Ok, gotcha. Those things look heavy and hot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
The pants from UR-TACTICAL look like another lower cost option.  I've read that they are made in China with US materials.  Saw a few positive reviews on ARF from awhile back in my Googling.

They aren't blatant stitch for stich Crye copies.  They've got a couple of different pants that use Crye pads plus they offer long inseam sizing.  They come in lots of camo patterns that aren't offered many other places too.

https://www.ur-tactical.com/product-category/clothing-uniform/

Anyone got anything to say about 'em?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, the set I got yesterday is USGI issue. They fit me well, CRYE kneepads fit right in. Wore them at the range today, I think they will do just fine.'The tags are just like the set pictured above, however the contractor that made them is ReadyOne Industries in El Paso
Now I just need to find a second pair, one is none, two is one...
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The pants from UR-TACTICAL look like another lower cost option.  I've read that they are made in China with US materials.  Saw a few positive reviews on ARF from awhile back in my Googling.

They aren't blatant stitch for stich Crye copies.  They've got a couple of different pants that use Crye pads plus they offer long inseam sizing.  They come in lots of camo patterns that aren't offered many other places too.

https://www.ur-tactical.com/product-category/clothing-uniform/

Anyone got anything to say about 'em?
View Quote

The Advanced Fast Response Pants? Those look pretty good actually. The Emerson's I ordered on Amazon (still waiting to come in from China) have freaking front facing cargo pockets (gay). The UR Tactical does not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Advanced Fast Response Pants? Those look pretty good actually. The Emerson's I ordered on Amazon (still waiting to come in from China) have freaking front facing cargo pockets (gay). The UR Tactical does not.
View Quote

Yeah, that was the model that caught my eye.  A pretty basic pair of NYCO (depending on color) pants with knee pad pockets and stretch panels in the knee area for a decent price.  

The front facing pockets on the Cryes (and copies) aren't too useful to me.  I use them for keys occasionally and would probably keep a can of dip in there if I still used it.  You probably wouldn't miss them on the Advanced Fast Response pants.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I was hoping to review some Platatac Tac Dax V4's but unfortunately their medium long is more like a medium regular.

Shameless plug.... anyone looking for some quality G3 inspired pants in M81 woodland should go check the EE

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#34]
My Emerson G3 pants came in. Knee pads included. Actually surprised at how well made they seem. I’ve only tried them on and wore them around the house for 15 mins, but they have very similar material to some 5.11 pants I have.

I usually wear a 36-34, sometimes a 38-34. They are 38Long.

The length is like a 36. I may have to have them altered, but not by much. The waste is Velcro only. No button. Is that normal for G3 style?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My Emerson G3 pants came in. Knee pads included. Actually surprised at how well made they seem. I’ve only tried them on and wore them around the house for 15 mins, but they have very similar material to some 5.11 pants I have.

The length is like a 36. I may have to have them altered, but not by much. The waste is Velcro only. No button. Is that normal for G3 style?
View Quote

Velcro only waist is how G3's are as well. Your Material should be 50/50 Ripstop NyCo if you got new stock - 2019 is when they revamped everything to modern materials.

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice, I may have to give them a shot.  

Could you take a measurement from the center of the crotch down inner leg seam to the bottom?  Another measurement I'd appreciate would be from the top of the waist straight down over the small front facing thigh pocket to the top of the knee pad slot opening.

I'd like to compare the number to my 34 long Cryes that fit perfectly and the medium long M81 Platatac V4's I'm trying to get rid of that weren't long enough.

The only kink in that comparison is that the Asian copies typically add a little length as the waist size goes up.  Say, just for an example, they are adding 2 inches to their regular sizing and calling them extra long.  An extra long 38 waist may end up an inch or so longer than their 34 extra long if they are doing it that way instead of using a set "extra long" inseam length that is the same regardless of waist size.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#37]
@alpha0815 you want the Kuiu Pro pants. They have hip vents to keep you cool in those hot southern months and built in knee pads you seek.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#38]
DAX V4 or G3, if you want the fit and flex round knee, crotch and back.  Getting the leg length right is important if you're going to cover any distance (e.g. knee is located correctly).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top