Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2021 11:12:38 PM EDT
I'm approaching 200 days on a HK sear pack/G3k  and a few suppressors. Got a missed call from my dealer this evening  and I'm on cloud 9 as I call him back because I am certain he's going say "Stamps are here, Christmas in June, etc"..No such luck. A correction letter of the "Sear can not be registered in multiple calibers" variety. Total nonsense, the approved Form 4 to my FFL/SOT 6 months ago listed "9mm, 5.56, .308" and was approved. Goes on to say, must be listed as "machine gun" NOT "machine gun sear". Again the approved Form 4 to my FFL/SOT 6 months ago stated "machine gun sear" and was approved. He copied exactly what was on the approved Form 4 from the seller.
Needless to say I drove to his house tonight to sign the resubmitted paperwork so it can be in the mail back tomorrow.
I know this caliber issue with sears pops up alot lately and has been beat to death, I just thought I was home free since the transfer to my dealer went off without a hiccup, The upside is, they have gotten to my application and with any luck, I should have it in my hands within the next 3 or 4 weeks. I hope..fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The single caliber issue has been lkke like for years. A few minutes of research could have saved you months months waiting
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Was aware of the multiple caliber issue, we even discussed it before submitting the
Form 4 and assumed that since the Form 4 transfer from the seller to my dealer was approved with all 3 calibers, it would be approved again on transfer to me…..nope.
Anyway, at least they are working on it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The good news is now that they are finally looking at the paperwork, the approval should be just around the corner.

I have done exactly what you did, which is to submit paperwork with the exact same details as the approved paperwork to your dealer, even though I was pretty sure it might get kicked back for updated wording. You want them to tell you to change the details, not do it on your own and find out they do not like your changes.

I once had a form kicked back, because we submitted "The XYZ Trust" and it turned out my Trust was "XYZ Trust." Had to submit paperwork all over again, due to a "The."
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm approaching 200 days on a HK sear pack/G3k  and a few suppressors. Got a missed call from my dealer this evening  and I'm on cloud 9 as I call him back because I am certain he's going say "Stamps are here, Christmas in June, etc"..No such luck. A correction letter of the "Sear can not be registered in multiple calibers" variety. Total nonsense, the approved Form 4 to my FFL/SOT 6 months ago listed "9mm, 5.56, .308" and was approved. Goes on to say, must be listed as "machine gun" NOT "machine gun sear". Again the approved Form 4 to my FFL/SOT 6 months ago stated "machine gun sear" and was approved. He copied exactly what was on the approved Form 4 from the seller.
Needless to say I drove to his house tonight to sign the resubmitted paperwork so it can be in the mail back tomorrow.
I know this caliber issue with sears pops up alot lately and has been beat to death, I just thought I was home free since the transfer to my dealer went off without a hiccup, The upside is, they have gotten to my application and with any luck, I should have it in my hands within the next 3 or 4 weeks. I hope..fingers crossed.
View Quote

It is my understanding that transfers being assigned according to the state. And there are multiple Examiners covering each state. I would think that there were two different Examiners. One for the transfer to your dealer and one covering the transfer to you.

Transfers to dealers tend to be a short term transfer. Transfers to private individuals or trusts tend to be held much longer than dealers. So just because of the relative differences in how long the registered item will be held, I would think that Examiners would tend to scrutinize transfer paperwork to individuals much more.

It also could be that one Examiner is more diligent than the other. While it is annoying, it does seem that the finer points of how the paperwork is filled out tends to be when being transferred to a private individual.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha. Same thing happened to me. My sear pack from the seller to my FFL was marked 9mm .223 and .308 and was remarked on that Form 4 to just 9mm. On the Form 4 to me it was reset to the original 3 calibers.  Those crazy AFTers
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have done exactly what you did, which is to submit paperwork with the exact same details as the approved paperwork to your dealer, even though I was pretty sure it might get kicked back for updated wording. You want them to tell you to change the details, not do it on your own and find out they do not like your changes.
View Quote
No, in my experience it's better to "update" the data to current standards (whenever necessary) and submit it that way.
This is called Data Quality Assurance (data QA) in most industries.

I've only listed single calibers on any form, since the first rejections (and guidance) for that in 2007.

If the prior form had multiple calibers, I'd either list the current caliber of the weapon or, in the case of a MG conversion device, just pick one.

I've had them approved as "MG conversion device" but years ago I saw the actual abbreviations the ATF uses in-house, so I adopted them:

MG=Machinegun (any type)
SR=SBR
SS=SBS
SI=Silencer
DD=Destructive Device
AW (although I still use AOW since I forget this one... It's used so rarely. )

You can find all these on their Form 6 and importation guidance: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/import-firearms-ammunition-and-defense-articles

I've never had a rejected NFA form, and I've submitted hundreds as an SOT and LE agency employee.

I correct addresses too, if they're sketchy. Usually I'll leave importer alone if they've moved since the importation occurred.
All standardized USPS abbreviations are accepted (RD, PKWY, BLVD, HWY, etc.)

I double-check all data I can by verifying against the FFL database or other online sources (if there's no current FFL).
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The good news is now that they are finally looking at the paperwork, the approval should be just around the corner.

I once had a form kicked back, because we submitted "The XYZ Trust" and it turned out my Trust was "XYZ Trust." Had to submit paperwork all over again, due to a "The."
View Quote

Years ago I had to resubmit a CCW application because I made the USPS money order payable to "The Indiana State Police" and not just 'Indiana State Police'.

dumb
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Years ago I had to resubmit a CCW application because I made the USPS money order payable to "The Indiana State Police" and not just 'Indiana State Police'.
dumb
View Quote
Yep, dumb. That was some random office worker's decision to reject it...
The bank would've accepted it that way.

If the ISP operated their own check scanners (like my agency) and submitted batches into ACH from their office, it wouldn't even matter what was written there (since it only reads the MICR line and amount.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]
200 days isn't the end of the world. My first can took a hair over 13 months and arrived on my birthday!

The ATF has so many issues in their paperwork. The F4 for my MG has errors in model of the MG. We left it figuring it was just better to keep the paperwork the same. The model is there but it's spelled wrong or has some additions that are not true to the actual model of the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top