Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered this can last night from Silencer shop. Allocated the s/n this morning: SMS-MIL-61xx

We are in the 6k s/n range now. I wonder how many they made.

Paperwork signed this morning so here comes the wait..
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered this can last night from Silencer shop. Allocated the s/n this morning: SMS-MIL-61xx
We are in the 6k s/n range now. I wonder how many they made.
Paperwork signed this morning so here comes the wait..
View Quote

Whoa, wild.
My number is 17xx.

Good chunk of "overruns"
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whoa, wild.
My number is 17xx.

Good chunk of "overruns"
View Quote

I love me some Dead Air. I've got 5 of their cans. Pappas, Magee and the boys and girls at DA are awesome.

But yeah, "overruns".
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought one two days ago as my first NFA purchase. I’m sucker for FDE and I couldn’t resist any longer. Mine is in the 6xxx as well. Going tomorrow to do my fingerprints at a kiosk and officially start the wait. Hopefully I can take it home by deer season in November!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is MIL-SMS-45XX

Purchased 4/17/21 from SS
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Been fighting the urge to pick one of these up.  Finally said screw it and ordered one from Capitol Armory earlier today.  First time I'm purchasing without an onsite range available. No visits this time during the wait.  I suppose I'll live lol.

I don't have any FDE cans yet.  I'm already thinking maybe I'll pull the e brake off the K and throw it on this once it shows up.  Or get the wipe end cap upgrade from the Wolfman al a carte and run this on the bolt gun instead of my Sandman K.

Edit..... Just noticed the S/N in the Capitol Armory email indicates mine is in the 6K range also.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone’s form 4 hit pending status yet? My check was cashed 5/4/21 and ATF says it’s not in their system. “Wait 90 days to check”. Typically after check is cashed it is pending just a few days after.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone’s form 4 hit pending status yet? My check was cashed 5/4/21 and ATF says it’s not in their system. “Wait 90 days to check”. Typically after check is cashed it is pending just a few days after.
View Quote

I've been told this as well. I have a couple F4's in the pipeline with cashed checks and no official record in their system. (Pending Date)
Seems earlier this year, they started getting behind. In the NFA complaint thread, you can see some members mentioning this same response sporadically throughout that thread too.

It's safe to say take the "average" wait time and tack on an additional 90 days.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
These come with a muzzle brake just like the regular models I’m assuming?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that an extra flash hider or just the one it comes with normally?
ETA: reading is mental. I ordered one last month. Did I get the extra flash hider?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Visited mine today. Another one the dealer had in the 6xxx range had the flash hider endcap. Mine 4xxx was just the normal one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're looking for a good price on these try here:  https://shop.gafiringline.com/cart.cfm

Use coupon code: "tanboi".

Mine is in transit to local FFL/SOT where it will be imprisoned until I get ATF approval and my stamp.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Just received my serial number on one of these, 70XX. Anyone got a higher one?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
These a good option for an AR10 can?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent, as long as you like the mount.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be moving from a SilencerCo Saker 762 ASR to these for my 16" .308 and 18" 6.5CM.  As long as the mounts work as intended
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd be moving from a SilencerCo Saker 762 ASR to these for my 16" .308 and 18" 6.5CM.  As long as the mounts work as intended
View Quote

The Sandman-S will be fantastic on the AR-10.  Those rifles are typically very sensitive to gas changes and the Sandman-S is very "friendly" for dialing that in if needed.  The Saker 762 is pretty quiet at the muzzle but provides a massive backpressure pulse.  You'll find the Sandman will be a bit louder (or deeper in tone at the muzzle), but the rifle will cycle better and the at-ear sound won't be as overpowering.  That's my prediction, anyway.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Sandman-S will be fantastic on the AR-10.  Those rifles are typically very sensitive to gas changes and the Sandman-S is very "friendly" for dialing that in if needed.  The Saker 762 is pretty quiet at the muzzle but provides a massive backpressure pulse.  You'll find the Sandman will be a bit louder (or deeper in tone at the muzzle), but the rifle will cycle better and the at-ear sound won't be as overpowering.  That's my prediction, anyway.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

@Mageever Thanks for posting!  I'm going for "overall performance" not just sound reduction since flash reduction is important and I know backpressure on these rounds can be substantial.  I originally bought the Saker because of the cost just so I could have a 7.62 suppressor.  Now I'm trying to get the "right" can for the job I intend on using it for, which for the AR-10s is a shorter can that reduce my overall signature, not beat the crap out of my gun more than needed while still enabling me to be maneuverable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any details on what branch/unit ordered these?
View Quote

Friggin Space Force I betcha.  Blastin’ them aliens ta hell!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

At 7,000 plus units I wouldn’t be surprised by anything.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any details on what branch/unit ordered these?

Officially, we have to say DOD.  But there are a lot of pics surfacing of DEVGRU running Noveske rifles and Sandman-S suppressors instead of the old 416's and Surefires.  

@cone256 You're welcome!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Regret is setting in buying this poorly manufactured can when I had the chance to snag an AEM5-30 for much less.

/rant
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Regret is setting in buying this poorly manufactured can when I had the chance to snag an AEM5-30 for much less.

/rant
View Quote

Why is it poorly manufactured? I have a couple sandman’s already and looking forward to this one being out of jail too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

/rant
View Quote

On what basis is it poorly manufactured? I have two Sandman S and I have found them to be quite the opposite. Which is why I keep buying them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe I should have said quality control. But that all stems back to the manufacturing process. Look how many are having to go back for alignment issues. I feel like it’s quite ridiculous. I’m glad y’all enjoy your previous Sandmans. Personally I’m just regretting it and wished I made another choice for my .30 cal can.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe I should have said quality control. But that all stems back to the manufacturing process. Look how many are having to go back for alignment issues. I feel like it’s quite ridiculous. I’m glad y’all enjoy your previous Sandmans. Personally I’m just regretting it and wished I made another choice for my .30 cal can.

View Quote

I hear ya...what problems have you been having with yours?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hear ya...what problems have you been having with yours?
View Quote

I haven’t even gone to look at mine yet. Don’t really want to. I’d rather be able to take it home and then find out I need to send it in. The posts are just discouraging after having awesome experiences from other manufacturers.  Maybe I’m overreacting but I know I’m not alone in feeling this way.  

With all that said I’m sure I’ll enjoy the can once I get it on my future .308 gas gun build.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I haven’t even gone to look at mine yet. Don’t really want to. I’d rather be able to take it home and then find out I need to send it in. The posts are just discouraging after having awesome experiences from other manufacturers.  Maybe I’m overreacting but I know I’m not alone in feeling this way.  

With all that said I’m sure I’ll enjoy the can once I get it on my future .308 gas gun build.
View Quote

First off, congrats!

Remember that quality reports in the suppressor world typically are a lagging indicator.  We had a lot of weld distortion from some manufacturing difficulties quite a while back and those had to filter through the supply chain to customers.  It can take up to a year for it to be visible.  As a company, Dead Air has taken care of anyone who ran into an issue and we placed permanent fixes in place with our move from our old manufacturing partner to our new one.  Ramp up was a little rough the beginning of 2020, but we're really into our stride now.

Our current quality coming out of production is exceptional.  It's hard to go against vocal internet detractors--many of whom are just rehashing someone else's issue or jumping on a hate train to perpetuate it.  I'm finding there's a lot of hate when you're beginning to see success.  

Another important factor is that we're shipping YUGE amounts compared to what we used to.  We probably ship 5X what Surefire does, for example.  The volume greatly exaggerates the perception of quality issues when something pops up and it's not taken in context.  As it sits now, we have better quality metrics at this high production rate than we ever had back in the day.  

My message is, don't let the trash talkers out there cause you to have regrets.  You'll perpetually be unhappy.  Also--go check out the can now.  If there's an issue, it's still on a Form 3 with a dealer and they can easily send it back to the plant if there's an issue and can be taken care of while you wait.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve always brought an upper or barrel and gauge rod (both known good units) to my SOT to do a test fit as soon as he got the can in.  I believe you can have a can repaired while it is in stamp jail, but I’ve never had to so I don’t know how much of a paperwork hassle that would be.  But if it’s possible to get something fixed while waiting for the Form 4 to clear that beats delays or damaging a can the first time out.  

Running a can hard early on isn’t a bad idea either.  I have friends who own never-shot cans by now out-of-business companies and now they are afraid to “because what if I screw it up”.  Bad news early is usually better than bad news later.

Odds are your suppressor is going to be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are letting internet reports of what might happen dictate your happiness with a purchase that you haven't even seem?   There are way more people recommending a Sandman S on this forum than there are people complaining about them.  

Quoted:
My message is, don't let the trash talkers out there cause you to have regrets.  You'll perpetually be unhappy.  Also--go check out the can now.  If there's an issue, it's still on a Form 3 with a dealer and they can easily send it back to the plant if there's an issue and can be taken care of while you wait.  

Exactly
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First off, congrats!

Remember that quality reports in the suppressor world typically are a lagging indicator.  We had a lot of weld distortion from some manufacturing difficulties quite a while back and those had to filter through the supply chain to customers.  It can take up to a year for it to be visible.  As a company, Dead Air has taken care of anyone who ran into an issue and we placed permanent fixes in place with our move from our old manufacturing partner to our new one.  Ramp up was a little rough the beginning of 2020, but we're really into our stride now.

Our current quality coming out of production is exceptional.  It's hard to go against vocal internet detractors--many of whom are just rehashing someone else's issue or jumping on a hate train to perpetuate it.  I'm finding there's a lot of hate when you're beginning to see success.  

Another important factor is that we're shipping YUGE amounts compared to what we used to.  We probably ship 5X what Surefire does, for example.  The volume greatly exaggerates the perception of quality issues when something pops up and it's not taken in context.  As it sits now, we have better quality metrics at this high production rate than we ever had back in the day.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it.  I was not aware my dealer could send the can back during the wait time if there was an issue.  I will probably make the hour trip to them to check it out.  And understood about you guys having issues here and there during your ramp up.  Like I said once everything checks out I'm sure I'll really enjoy the can.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

First off, congrats!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, congrats!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Like Todd said. Every manufacture can have issues. It’s what happens after that counts. Dead air has top-notch customer service. They have taken care of me several times. They have a customer for life and I owe quite a few of them beers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Dead Air stands behind their products

Putting "Full Auto Rated" Suppressors to the Test - Dead Air Sandman S - Part 1 - M240B Meltdown

Suppressor Torture Testing Series - Dead Air Sandman S - Part 2 - Damage Overview & Warranty
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Very cool videos. Did you ever find the other baffle? Should be five and looks like you have four there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm excited for mine.  Just hope this form 4 goes smoothly like the rest have.  Should but with the AFT you never know.......................

I don't have a 308 semi auto yet so this is the perfect excuse to source one during the wait.  Buddy of mine bought a Springfield M1A (semi M14 clone) and that might be cool to suppress.  I liked it but I'll probably just wind up with an AR pattern rifle in 308.  We shall see.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

/rant
View Quote

How much less? I want an AEm5-.264
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Very cool videos. Did you ever find the other baffle? Should be five and looks like you have four there.
View Quote

Not my videos.  Although the Youtube creator is pretty responsive.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Too bad they didn’t have an infrared pyrometer set up to measure the temperature at failure.  

I’m kind of surprised the Sandman didn’t last longer (compared to a much lighter Rex MG suppressor) but it shows how brutal a continuous firing schedule is at getting the temperature up to where even very good materials and designs can fail.  The Socom firing schedule is pretty rough on cans and muzzle devices, but much more realistic use case.  Any opportunity to let a can cool before hitting the strength vs temp curve drop off can really extend the life.

I wonder how long before the video guys get tired of melting down cans and smooth boring their beltfed barrels with expensive to replace ammo.  I hope they check their barrels for bullet stability before each test.  Eventually their belt fed is going to start spraying spall out of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Too bad they didn’t have an infrared pyrometer set up to measure the temperature at failure.  

I’m kind of surprised the Sandman didn’t last longer (compared to a much lighter Rex MG suppressor) but it shows how brutal a continuous firing schedule is at getting the temperature up to where even very good materials and designs can fail.  The Socom firing schedule is pretty rough on cans and muzzle devices, but much more realistic use case.  Any opportunity to let a can cool before hitting the strength vs temp curve drop off can really extend the life.

I wonder how long before the video guys get tired of melting down cans and smooth boring their beltfed barrels with expensive to replace ammo.  I hope they check their barrels for bullet stability before each test.  Eventually their belt fed is going to start spraying spall out of the muzzle.
View Quote

The sandman lasted about 100 rounds more then the Rex and it’s about double the length too
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#43]
@KalmanPhilter  I think the mount came loose.  Watch it closely.  

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I saw the mount turning but I thought in the Part 2 AAR video they mentioned that the can was still mounted.  I will look again.  

It’s curious how and where the pressure found the developing weakness. I’d have expected the exterior 17-4 tube (if that is what is being used) to fail at either the front cap threads or the rear blast chamber zone, even given the thinning of the tube contour at the front portion.  Before that the welded stack would have to leak, and perhaps it did at that forward point.  

With a sample size of one everything is just conjecture.  One thing that seems consistent in a handful of torture tests, when you see a sustained flame burning out your front cap after a shot string, bad things are usually close at hand.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Looked to me like they re-used the burnt out keymo from the MG7K test.  I'm thinking they would have gotten another 25 to 50 rounds with a freah keymo brake.

On the other hand, it might have just melted the keymo and failed around the same time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#46]
It’s a stupid ass test with zero validity....2 cans into it, and they can’t keep even basic variables consistent.  

They reuse the same blown out brake....

Rex has a constant stream of fire, Sandman gets it in bursts because it wouldn’t reliably cycle until it split, which he didn’t even consider a catastrophic failure.  

I was impressed that the .mil cerekote held up that well ...

It’s not even a valid test of each manufacturers’ warranty.  Of course the dude with a YouTube channel and an SOT form 3’ing silencers can get a rapid replacement.  

I wish one of the manufactures would nut up and tell him to pound sand on a replacement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It’s a stupid ass test with zero validity....2 cans into it, and they can’t keep even basic variables consistent.  

They reuse the same blown out brake....

Rex has a constant stream of fire, Sandman gets it in bursts because it wouldn’t reliably cycle until it split, which he didn’t even consider a catastrophic failure.  

I was impressed that the .mil cerekote held up that well ...

It’s not even a valid test of each manufacturers’ warranty.  Of course the dude with a YouTube channel and an SOT form 3’ing silencers can get a rapid replacement.  

I wish one of the manufactures would nut up and tell him to pound sand on a replacement.
View Quote

Do you know of anyone DeadAir (or Rex for that matter) has told to pound sand regarding warranty?

You sound bias.

It’s not a scientific test it’s entertainment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Had anyone determined which mount the “DoD” is using with these?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#49]
What's the differences in the Sandman S and the .MIL version, other than the color?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What's the differences in the Sandman S and the .MIL version, other than the color?
View Quote

If only this thread had any specs or information in it…..
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top