BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2018 5:27:06 PM EDT
I’m looking at a Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Serial number 7000***

Can anyone tell me when it’ was made. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
HAHAHA Yes, its a commercial serial number from the modern Springfield Armory, Geneseo Il, or similar modern maker. Probably not earlier than the 1970s or 80s. It is NOT an original Garand from 1936-1957 era government Springfield Armory that was in Springfield, Mass. Garands built for the US Government stopped at 6150000.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HAHAHA Yes, its a commercial serial number from the modern Springfield Armory, Geneseo Il, or similar modern maker. Probably not earlier than the 1970s or 80s. It is NOT an original Garand from 1936-1957 era government Springfield Armory that was in Springfield, Mass. Garands built for the US Government stopped at 6150000.
View Quote
Yup, my Geneseo version was in the same serial range. Sold it to buy an authentic Springfield Armory model.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything wrong with the newer garands?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to buy a Springfield Inc Garand. I used to hate on them but it'd be really nice to own a Garand that I could treat like I do my AR's. I wouldn't have to worry about anything like dents, scrapes or wear and I could treat it like a normal gun and not some heirloom quality piece that must exist for hundreds of years after I'm gone. Unfortunately they charge as much for the new ones as they do the authentic USGI Garands
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
My two surplus Garands muzzle gauged better than my Geneseo model, and I bought the Geneseo NIB. Besides, my H&R and Springfield Garands are the real McCoy.

prices are a bit elevated over the last decade but you seldom go wrong with the CMP.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
SA Inc garands are decent shooters if you want to wear them out.  They have a lifetime warranty as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
No nothing really wrong with them. The Springfield Inc receivers are milled from castings and the old real deal ones are machined from forgings which are usually a little stronger. But, in real world shooting I would doubt that any functional difference could be found. If you can get the SAI copy for less that $800.00 go for it. Otherwise keep trolling the gun shows and sign up on the CMP forum for the Garand for sale section until you find a real deal one out there that suits you. I used to tell people to go to: thecmp.org and check out the requirements to buy one direct from the CMP. But, the CMP prices keep creeping up and the offerings are getting to be more and more CMP rebuilt guns, and less of the as received from government inventory rifles.  But its still something you may want to look into. It is kind of neat to get a high powered government war rifle delivered to your door. (After you have jumped through the paperwork and requirement hoops.)

PS. Don't use high powered 30-06 hunting ammo in them, use the mid range loaded M2 ball type ammo intended for them. In addition to old USGI Mil-surp ammo, Seller and Belloit, Privi Partisan, and Federal American Eagle red box all make 30-06 specifically loaded for the M1 Garand. Get at least 5 of the clips for the Garand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top