Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2020 9:50:37 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

Are there any Dallas, TX FFL holders here that could share which CLEO they notified and how they chose to notify them? I'm having a hard time finding anything on this detail past the generic instructions in the ATF regulations. I'm thinking I should just send a copy to the County Sheriff via certified mail, but it would be great to hear what others have done.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn’t matter what CLEO you send the notification to as long at the CLEO has jurisdiction over your area of residence.  County Sheriff would be fine.

I still am amazed the CLEO signature is a thing of the past, and that it happened under the Obama reign.  I can remember the hassle and effort I went to to get 86 separate signatures from 5 different CLEO’s.   We are living in the salad days of the gun era!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello everyone,

Are there any Dallas, TX FFL holders here that could share which CLEO they notified and how they chose to notify them? I'm having a hard time finding anything on this detail past the generic instructions in the ATF regulations. I'm thinking I should just send a copy to the County Sheriff via certified mail, but it would be great to hear what others have done.

View Quote

Dallas Sheriff was best since she mailed them back to you saying they do not process them. But since she left office, not sure if the new Sheriff is as ignorant. Not sure why certified. I either mailed or dropped mine off at office.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Dallas Sheriff was best since she mailed them back to you saying they do not process them. But since she left office, not sure if the new Sheriff is as ignorant. Not sure why certified. I either mailed or dropped mine off at office.
View Quote

Thank You. I was thinking certified in case the ATF questioned the notification and the Leo denied receiving it. If the consensus is that's overkill then I'll probably just do what you suggested.

Dallas is such a big bureaucracy it seems like every time I think something is going to be easy, they reach out and make it complicated. I guess I just carried that perception into this process.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello everyone,
Are there any Dallas, TX FFL holders here that could share which CLEO they notified and how they chose to notify them?
View Quote

<----Plano FFL/SOT
I send all mine to Texas DPS. But.......if I lived in a liberal, vibrant, enlightened city like Dallas, I would send it to the DPD Chief. I would also attach a Post It note saying "Suck it".

I'm having a hard time finding anything on this detail past the generic instructions in the ATF regulations. I'm thinking I should just send a copy to the County Sheriff via certified mail, but it would be great to hear what others have done.
View Quote

Did you read the instructions printed on the back of every Form 1/4? It tells you exactly who you can send your notification to.

[b].... I was thinking certified in case the ATF questioned the notification and the Leo denied receiving it. If the consensus is that's overkill then I'll probably just do what you suggested. 
View Quote

Proof of delivery is not a requirement. ATF don't give a shit.

Dallas is such a big bureaucracy it seems like every time I think something is going to be easy, they reach out and make it complicated. I guess I just carried that perception into this process. 
View Quote

It IS EASY, you're the one making it complicated. Just mail your CLEO copy to the CLEO of your choice and you're done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I also sent to DPS
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

<----Plano FFL/SOT
I send all mine to Texas DPS. But.......if I lived in a liberal, vibrant, enlightened city like Dallas, I would send it to the DPD Chief. I would also attach a Post It note saying "Suck it". 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

<----Plano FFL/SOT
I send all mine to Texas DPS. But.......if I lived in a liberal, vibrant, enlightened city like Dallas, I would send it to the DPD Chief. I would also attach a Post It note saying "Suck it". 

Fortunately I don't live in Dallas. Unfortunately, the commercial building I have to use right now for manufacturing is.

Did you read the instructions printed on the back of every Form 1/4? It tells you exactly who you can send your notification to.

Yes, I've read everything I can get my hands on. It doesn't tell you whether the really ATF cares, or what kind of trouble the local politics are going to cause.

Proof of delivery is not a requirement. ATF don't give a shit.

Thanks for this. I haven't been able to get the local Industry Officer at the Dallas branch to return my voicemails so that I could gauge if they gave a damn or not.

It IS EASY, you're the one making it complicated. Just mail your CLEO copy to the CLEO of your choice and you're done.

Yea I'm not surprised that I am making it more difficult than it needs to be. You get black-listed by your customers and regulatory fines from the government if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's in the other industry I work in. Makes me way to risk adverse at times.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank You. I was thinking certified in case the ATF questioned the notification and the Leo denied receiving it. If the consensus is that's overkill then I'll probably just do what you suggested.

Dallas is such a big bureaucracy it seems like every time I think something is going to be easy, they reach out and make it complicated. I guess I just carried that perception into this process.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Dallas Sheriff was best since she mailed them back to you saying they do not process them. But since she left office, not sure if the new Sheriff is as ignorant. Not sure why certified. I either mailed or dropped mine off at office.

You're over thinking this.  Read the actual instructions on the F1 or F4.  Send LEO notification (to CLEO of city or county, your choice) by regular mail.  Don't waste your time or money on BS crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top