Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2020 11:58:25 AM EDT
My father passed a several days ago and had two legally owned silencers. I have been trying to get in touch with the ATF to start the process of legal transfer but I keep getting the run around.
The first lady said she wasn't sure it was possible and I needed an attorney. My dad made my sister and myself the executors of his estate and just left it all to us, but nothing "line by line".
So they transfer me up the line so to speak and of course that lady isn't at her desk or is on the phone, left message. She called this morning but I missed the call, of course during the 10 minutes I wasn't home for the day.
I called back and again they asked "well did he will these to you?!" then again transferred me up the line to another person who was on a call or not at their desk.

Am I under any sort of time frame requirements before I am in some sort of legal trouble?
Should I just keep calling back and hope to get someone and just keep playing phone tag?
I just cant believe these people act like they have never heard of this situation... sad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure you document the date, time, and the person who spoke to or attempted to speak to.  Documentation of good intent can prevent a fair amount of trouble in the future.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be sure you document the date, time, and the person who spoke to or attempted to speak to.  Documentation of good intent can prevent a fair amount of trouble in the future.
View Quote

None of the reps that I have spoken with have given me a name. I havent gotten anyone of substance so far. I have the names of the two people they attempted to transfer me to.
Im not sure what the deal is but their telephone system is trash and it is very difficult to make out what they say, I think they said I need to talk to someone in the lawful heir team? Does that sound right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need to fill out a Form 5 for each NFA item and submit that, along with fingerprint cards, to the ATF. Do you have the original form 4s for the two silencers? Were they registered to a trust or to your father as an individual?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can legally keep the gun silencers without paying the tax.

Here you go:

https://www.atf.gov/file/97596/download

Here's the form:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-5-application-tax-exempt-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53205
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You will need to fill out a Form 5 for each NFA item and submit that, along with fingerprint cards, to the ATF. Do you have the original form 4s for the two silencers? Were they registered to a trust or to your father as an individual?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/9_5_3_JPG-1688379.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/9_5_3_1_JPG-1688380.JPG
View Quote

I have all his paperwork but I dont see a trust anywhere. He said he was going to do a trust but i would guess I would have needed to have signed something at some point so I am guessing to him as an individual.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, you can legally keep the gun silencers without paying the tax.

Here you go:

https://www.atf.gov/file/97596/download

Here's the form:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-5-application-tax-exempt-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53205
View Quote

ok from what I can tell the form looks just like his paperwork that he did. Ill try and get on that then.
thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have all his paperwork but I dont see a trust anywhere. He said he was going to do a trust but i would guess I would have needed to have signed something at some point so I am guessing to him as an individual.
View Quote

On the form 4, is the transferee listed a trust or is it your fathers name? You wouldn't have necessarily had to sign anything if he used a trust.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

On the form 4, is the transferee listed a trust or is it your fathers name? You wouldn't have necessarily had to sign anything if he used a trust.
View Quote

This, where is says Applicants Name it is either Dads name or Dad Trust (I used my 3 initials Trust).
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Transferee is his name
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Transferee is his name
View Quote

Ok, so there isn't a trust. You just need to get some fingerprint cards and passport style photos down and complete the form 5.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe it just me.. But getting a lawyer that knows how this works can save lots of headaches...and maybe more..

(advice from my 1000 post !)
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Would you have to also include some form of proof the transferor is in fact deceased and a copy or letter from the estate executor that the item was in fact bequeathed to the transferee?

I could see the atf wanting those things verified.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
479.90a Estates.

a. The executor, administrator, personal representative, or other person authorized under State law to dispose of property in an estate (collectively “executor”) may possess a firearm registered to a decedent during the term of probate without such possession being treated as a “transfer” as defined in § 479.11. No later than the close of probate, the executor must submit an application to transfer the firearm to beneficiaries or other transferees in accordance with this section. If the transfer is to a beneficiary, the executor shall file an ATF Form 5 (5320.5), Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm, to register a firearm to any beneficiary of an estate in accordance with § 479.90. The executor will identify the estate as the transferor, and will sign the form on behalf of the decedent, showing the executor's title (e.g., executor, administrator, personal representative, etc.) and the date of filing. The executor must also provide the documentation prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

b. If there are no beneficiaries of the estate or the beneficiaries do not wish to possess the registered firearm, the executor will dispose of the property outside the estate (i.e., to a non-beneficiary). The executor shall file an ATF Form 4 (5320.4), Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm, in accordance with § 479.84. The executor, administrator, personal representative, or other authorized person must also provide documentation prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

c. The executor, administrator, personal representative, or other person authorized under State law to dispose of property in an estate shall submit with the transfer application documentation of the person's appointment as executor, administrator, personal representative, or as an authorized person, a copy of the decedent's death certificate, a copy of the will (if any), any other evidence of the person's authority to dispose of property, and any other document relating to, or affecting the disposition of firearms from the estate.
View Quote

Here is a Form 5 walkthrough as well
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to take care of this ASAP like you’re doing.

One gun I tried to buy the seller sent me paperwork for the ATF. It was reams of stuff relating to his dad’s estate. He had passed more than a decade before I tried to buy the gun! The gun was still in his dad’s name and never transferred to his mom or to him after she died.

Needless to say, it was in limbo for 15 months before ATF finally disapproved the transfer. I eventually got my money back, but it left a bad taste.

If I were to buy another NFA item, I’d be sure to ask “is the gun in your name?”.

Form 5 should do it for you, OP. Sorry for your loss.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
This works.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe it just me.. But getting a lawyer that knows how this works can save lots of headaches...and maybe more..

(advice from my 1000 post !)
View Quote

I agree, "a reasonable time" and lawful intentions would not be as ambiguous with a lawyer involved, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I thought I would update this.
It will be a few more weeks before I can get this to the ATF but I am pretty sure they expect this during covid. I cant get death certs for a min of 3 weeks. He died in West Virginia and they are all paper there, nothing electronic with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently had a will done and I specifically listed the suppressor’s to my nephew, son is not interested, will also include his name on the trust. Should make it easy for him. I’ve Also gave him a copy of the form 4. Always good to plan things out ahead of time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I recently had a will done and I specifically listed the suppressor’s to my nephew, son is not interested, will also include his name on the trust. Should make it easy for him. I’ve Also gave him a copy of the form 4. Always good to plan things out ahead of time.
View Quote

yep, thats for sure. Sadly that was not my dads specialty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Very sorry about the lost of your Dad op. I know it sucks
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very sorry about the lost of your Dad op. I know it sucks
View Quote

yeah its really strange going through his house. I hate it. I have more questions than answers now and that leaves me very empty feeling.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yeah its really strange going through his house. I hate it. I have more questions than answers now and that leaves me very empty feeling.
View Quote

Dave Ramsey always stresses to create a legacy box of documents with the Will and Trust so someone like you isn’t in your situation.

I’m guilty of not completing this task for my wife.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
welp not much has happened with this but I wanted to ask, does the location where I do the fingerprints matter?
We cant get the sheriffs office to tell us, covid has everything so messed up. But we found out that UPS will do them for $12. Will this be satisfactory as long as it is a physical print?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
welp not much has happened with this but I wanted to ask, does the location where I do the fingerprints matter?
We cant get the sheriffs office to tell us, covid has everything so messed up. But we found out that UPS will do them for $12. Will this be satisfactory as long as it is a physical print?
View Quote

The finger print cards must have the current ATF address information in the ORI box. You can get the cards with that information already printed on them directly from the ATF if you do not have any. As you can finger print yourself if needed, it doesn't matter who is rolling your finger prints on to the paper. Just make sure you properly fill out and sign the finger print cards (a few guides online you can look up) or else they might be rejected.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The finger print cards must have the current ATF address information in the ORI box. You can get the cards with that information already printed on them directly from the ATF if you do not have any. As you can finger print yourself if needed, it doesn't matter who is rolling your finger prints on to the paper. Just make sure you properly fill out and sign the finger print cards (a few guides online you can look up) or else they might be rejected.
View Quote

Oh okay, good to know!
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

LGS here has them and does prints when you buy NFA items, I've done enough they just hand me the cards to do myself. Not hard.

Don't overload your finger with ink.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LGS here has them and does prints when you buy NFA items, I've done enough they just hand me the cards to do myself. Not hard.

Don't overload your finger with ink.
View Quote

I found a kit online that is $10. I asked the gun store where they were bought and they didnt know what to do about any of it.
Its so funny how people can be in this business and have no clue what to do if a customer with one of the items passes away.
"well, just call the atf and we'll help you do whatever they say..."

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I found a kit online that is $10. I asked the gun store where they were bought and they didnt know what to do about any of it.
Its so funny how people can be in this business and have no clue what to do if a customer with one of the items passes away.
"well, just call the atf and we'll help you do whatever they say..."

View Quote

I'm pretty fortunate closest LGS is a guy that started in his garage and I knew him before that. He is very good on gun laws, shipping, NFA.

I was at a different LGS to pickup a Silencer shop can and had to call my friends store so they could explain the law to the other LGS. Crazy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm pretty fortunate closest LGS is a guy that started in his garage and I knew him before that. He is very good on gun laws, shipping, NFA.

I was at a different LGS to pickup a Silencer shop can and had to call my friends store so they could explain the law to the other LGS. Crazy.
View Quote

Like anywhere else I guess. nobody knows what is going on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Umm, no. I print myself at work on our cards and I use our ORI information, because that's the correct thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Umm, no. I print myself at work on our cards and I use our ORI information, because that's the correct thing to do.
View Quote

Then my bad. I always heard it had to have the ATF info on it. Thanks for the clearing that up, bud.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Per my conversation with the NFA folks, they apply a label with the NFA branch specific info over the ORI so they get the results routed to them. Don't get to hung up on it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Then my bad. I always heard it had to have the ATF info on it. Thanks for the clearing that up, bud.
View Quote
No worries. I have more than a couple done that way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]
You should know that you can't do the Form 5s until the estate is probated.  You need the certified records of the probate from the county before a Form 5 can be processed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You should know that you can't do the Form 5s until the estate is probated.  You need the certified records of the probate from the county before a Form 5 can be processed.
View Quote

Yep.  Waiting on courts right how to give me Certificate of testamentary since I have almost $50K of checks to deposit after I open an account “The Estate of.....” for Mom’s estate.  Courts are dragging ass right now using COVID as an excuse.  One employee in our county court came down with it and they shut everything down for 15 days.  I think some of these places on the county or state dole are just looking for an excuse to take another 15 days off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I should know that?
I didnt know what a form 5 was until this thread
update: still waiting on everything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I should know that?
I didnt know what a form 5 was until this thread
update: still waiting on everything.
View Quote

I'm sorry for your loss.  My post was only meant to be informative because there had been a lot of cart before the horse information posted already.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he did them personally, then went to put them in a trust, he discovered he had to pay $200.00 again per item and do all new paper work as when he bought them, then wait for the approval. I had a good friend who did the personal route then try and change, it wasn’t worth it. That’s why I went with a trust from the start, to many advantages as in adding or subtracting trustees, adding items, or deleting them, easier for your heirs to settle your estate.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
You can order the correct fingerprint cards online if you're not in a rush.  They're free from https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

You can roll your own prints on the cards. Fingerprint ink pads are less than $10 on Amazon.

I did 3 this way with no problems or delays.  

P.S. I think brazos means that's something you need to know, not something you were expected to already know.  

I don't know if a trust helps with that. My uncle put his house in a trust to bypass probate, but my cousins couldn't sell it until the estate closed.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You can order the correct fingerprint cards online if you're not in a rush.  They're free from https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

You can roll your own prints on the cards. Fingerprint ink pads are less than $10 on Amazon.

I did 3 this way with no problems or delays.  

P.S. I think brazos means that's something you need to know, not something you were expected to already know.  

I don't know if a trust helps with that. My uncle put his house in a trust to bypass probate, but my cousins couldn't sell it until the estate closed.

View Quote

A trust only helps in the fact you have trustees, and you can designate who gets what in the trust. The advantage of trustees is, you can keep the trust going by simply adding trustees. Yes,nit is a little more complicated than that, but it will help when my time has expired.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Usually property in a trust is more for tax purposes. Kind of ironic, since a gun trust is to buy tax stamps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top