Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2020 4:57:55 PM EDT
Local gun shop has a lightly used DSA Sa58 rifle  for sale.  I've always wanted one but I'm not familiar enough with them to know what the main things would be to look for when purchasing a used one.  Like what would be a quick (in gun shop) inspection procedure be?  Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt face, chamber and bore are good indicators or how much use the rifle has seen... and if its been abused. A nice, clean and sharp bore face indicates little shooting. Look for obvious issues like corrosion in the bore, chamber...

If you really want to get in depth, a go.. no go gauge...

For the most part, all my DSA FAL's have been GTG... I look for signs of abuse and neglect.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
A DS vs DSA serial number

The DS are usually older ones built on a forged receiver
But may have been built by someone other than DSA
You can call them and they will tell you if they built it

Gunplummer builds good toys
His build are marked ARS for Arizona Response System
They do bring a premium

Search gunbroker for dsa,  fal a
or Imbel

Join falfiles and watch the market place there
If you have a question about a gun for sale, ask
A lot of knowledge there
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it is an SA58 and not a Voyager.   Voyagers are considerable less than SA58's.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It could be a STG58 as well, they all use SA58 marked receivers. Steel hand guards, steel trigger mechanism housing (lower receiver). Nothing wrong with an STG58, most of them were built with matching numbers Austrian military rifle kits.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you ALL of the replies.  This helps a ton!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the main noticeable difference here the Holland rear sight, absent carrying handle and round charging handle?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure it is an SA58 and not a Voyager.   Voyagers are considerable less than SA58's.
View Quote

Is the main noticeable difference here the Holland rear sight, absent carrying handle and round charging handle?
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essentially that, and they don’t get the nicer duracoat finish. DSA also used whatever receiver was handy, so you could get a Type 1-3 with or without the carry handle cut.  I think the bulk of the Voyagers are Type 3.

They carry the same warranty as their other guns though. I have a Para Voyager that had some issues and they took care of it like anything else.  I wasn’t enthused about needing to send it back, but they did a fine job making it right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top